AS9 point/timeline tips - things you need to know!

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

AS9 point/timeline tips - things you need to know!

Post by funksmaname »

Hey,
Thought I'd share some basic new behaviours in AS9 now that it's available to purchase (yay!) - some stuff in here might help avoid frustration :)
It's not flashy or exciting but goes over some stuff you really need to know to get the most out of AS9.

Enjoy!

Dodgy

Re: AS9 point/timeline tips - things you need to know!

Post by Dodgy »

Hmm, not sure about that selected key frame being modified by point animation. Seems like that could cause a lot of problems with people forgetting to deselect keys and ending up with their animation screwed.... Maybe if it was toggleable in the dope sheet. It's a very nice feature, but it should be toggleable. You can use the 'edit only on 0' toggle, but a lot of people leave that on.

If you think about it, it could slow you down considerably. You now have to deselect keys before moving points to ensure that movement isn't carried over, and then select them again once you've finished, when you might have those keys selected for a reason other than that AS thinks. Seems like a dodgy design.
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

Also, do the move/rotate/scale points etc tools work like the Fazek tools? Because I'd love to have that new point interpolation function and the fazek functionality in the one tool.

I'd also like to be able to select multiple keys and set holds for them all, so you can't do that seems a bit of an oversight. Rule no 34 of UI design is make all functions work with multi selection.
Last edited by Dodgy on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Yeah, ive not done a great deal in practice, but it only really caught me once. It's quite unusual to have multiple frames selected unless you do it explicitly so it's probably not that big an issue in practice. It's probably something that could've hanged if it turns out to be a problem.

I'm not sure I was prepared enough to make this video, when moving points it doesnt have much to do with having edit on 0 deselected, I just wanted to make people aware of certain behaviours...
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Cross post...
Actually no, fazes tools don't work but mike Kelley modified a couple of s tools to my taste... They act pretty much identically to fazeks, except they have scale and rotate on mod keys. They're available on animators forum, but are not quite complete. He also has a point add tool that has curve and thickness on mod keys. It's really great, even coming from me the die hard fazeks tools fan :P
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

I updated them to work with 8, including the new hiding functionality, I'll have to give them a go with 9...
Genete

Post by Genete »

Is it my imagination or at 2:00 there are zero points selected but the selected point channel is still visible?
When did that change? :shock:
-G
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Genete wrote:Is it my imagination or at 2:00 there are zero points selected but the selected point channel is still visible?
When did that change? :shock:
-G
In AS8 they still show until you click inside the timeline if you click in the workspace to deselect the points. If you use enter/return to deselect the points they will not show in the timeline.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

dodgy - it just occured to me that you could just use the unmodified fazeks tools if you dont want to risk points moving in other places since they don't support that functionality... although to make them work, you need to find and replace any instance of:

mouseEvent.view:Refresh()

to

mouseEvent.view:RefreshView()

due to updates in the scripting interface.
Dodgy

Post by Dodgy »

Might be worth sticking with them (for me) since I'm a bit dubious of that functionality then :)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

best of both worlds ;)
chucky

Coloured action keys

Post by chucky »

Hey...
Great vid thanks Funks!
I just tried something out with a suspicion of a cool new timeline trick thought I should post here.

Coloured keyframes ...yes, cool... but check this out.

Create an action then colour label those keyframes.

When you use the action in the Mainline, the keys are coloured as in the action.

Meaning you can identify the action automatically and instantly with 'auto colour labelling'.

Great for blinks , head turn keys, all those actions that you do often and may need to hunt down and edit later.

Cool huh?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Cool idea chunky! It would clarify things if you have several actions that are the same length...