Layer visibility tip.

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MarkBorok

Layer visibility tip.

Post by MarkBorok »

This is based on a problem I recently encountered and may not apply to people who are smarter than I am.

When you have a complex scene and you need to turn off the visibility of some layers, don't turn them off by clicking on the eye symbol in the layers palette. If you do that and forget to turn the visiblity back on again, the layers won't render. Instead use the "Hide in editing view" option under the "Current Layer" pop-up menu in the timeline. This is something that's easy to overlook, so I thought I'd mention it.

As an example, I had a character whose face was in shadow. I made a shadow shape, set its color to black, made it a bit transparent and set its transfer mode to "multiply". However, since it covered the character's face I had to turn off its visibility in order to animate the facial features. I had rendered out my animation several times, after doing many fixes, before I realized that the shadow layer wasn't rendering because I had forgotten to turn the visibility back on, so I had to render those scenes all over again.

(LM, if you're reading this, I suggest that turning layers on and off in the layer window shouldn't affect their visibility when rendering. For that there is already the layer visiblity check box in the layer properties.)
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

It would be even better if there were three states of eyebutton-clicking. First the layer is etirely visable. After one click it's hidden in editing-view. After another click it's etirely invisible. And then it cycles so it's entirely visible again.
mr. blaaa

Post by mr. blaaa »

jepp Hiddicop, i think this would be a good feature to add :D