storyboard

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MustJee

storyboard

Post by MustJee »

now and then I hear you talking about "storyboard".
I roughly understand what it means but it'd be great if you'd give me some examples how you build it.

And what is meant by "workflow"?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

A story board is a series of drawn images which completely describe an animated film before anybody starts work. The people responsible for managing the film have to be absolutely sure that the storyboard contains every shot in the finished movie, and that each shot is (usually) carefully synchronised to a soundtrack.

One kind of workflow can be easily explained with reference to a live action movie. If you have several shots in a kitchen, then some shots in the desert, then some more shots back in the kitchen, it wouldn't make sense to run around shooting everything in sequence. You would group together all the kitchen shots in the movie, shoot them, and then move on to all the shots in the desert, and so on.

Another aspect of workflow is organisation of resources to correspond to different stages of the movie.

Finally, workflow can aslo be a person or group's preferred way of doing things.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
MustJee

Post by MustJee »

jahnocli wrote:A story board is a series of drawn images which completely describe an animated film before anybody starts work. The people responsible for managing the film have to be absolutely sure that the storyboard contains every shot in the finished movie
right here is my prob. 'til yet I was writing texts and composing music which means I started somewhere and it evolved by putting in a bit here, a piece there. And it ended when I was satisfied.
And that means: I have no real concept - just an ide that grows.
I see by now that I've to change my way of working completely :cry:
jahnocli wrote:One kind of workflow can be easily explained with reference to a live action movie. If you have several shots in a kitchen, then some shots in the desert, then some more shots back in the kitchen, it wouldn't make sense to run around shooting everything in sequence. You would group together all the kitchen shots in the movie, shoot them, and then move on to all the shots in the desert, and so on.
seeing the above written you'll find out that my way of working was completely different. And I used to go on that way even when I started editing movies. I just decided to change trying ASP8 - yes, I had to coze the prg was not really able of producing/rendering long sequences.
But I hate to rip things apart working with movies: my compositing prg is quite tricky and so I avoided lots of pieces. Now I see it's a lot easier to make perfect small pieces in ASP instead of creating a whole scene and render it in one take.
Aright - must change once more my way of doing things :wink:

Thanx for your thourough answer.
ulf

Post by ulf »

Hi MustJee, I read an old topic these last days in which Slowtiger advised someone (asking something similar) to try to search "storyboard" in Google Images and to study what comes out ( I tried and it was a very good exercise!).
He also shared some links about that, unfortunately I can't find that topic..
MustJee

Post by MustJee »

ulf wrote:Hi MustJee, I read an old topic these last days in which Slowtiger advised someone (asking something similar) to try to search "storyboard" in Google Images and to study what comes out ( I tried and it was a very good exercise!).
but that link'd be a great help :cry:
I'll try to find it.
Thanx
MustJee

Post by MustJee »

ulf wrote:Hi MustJee, I read an old topic these last days in which Slowtiger advised someone (asking something similar) to try to search "storyboard" in Google Images and to study what comes out ( I tried and it was a very good exercise!).
recovered from being really ill I've seen your mail and - wow: I never had thought at all of looking at "Google Images" but that really was a great clue.
Thanx a lot.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »