16X9 Widescreen Hi Def Project Settings?

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

snaps provolone

16X9 Widescreen Hi Def Project Settings?

Post by snaps provolone »

Hello, What would the Demensions settings be for a 16X9 widescreen Hi Def project in Moho? Also, how would one apply the black bars that would appear on a standard T.V, or would my video editor take care of this? I understand the square & Retangular pixel diffs between computer and television & that most video editors take care of this conversion. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, snaps.
ponysmasher

Post by ponysmasher »

The pixel size is 1920x1080 for full HDTV resolution, but 1280x720 is also used. Square pixels for both settings.

The black bars should be added, as you said, in your video editor.

If your outputting to dvd you could make it anamorphic, then you wouldnt need to add black bars as the dvd player would take care of it automatically if viewed on a standard tv.

Just make sure to check "16:9" in whatever mpeg encoder you want to use.
snaps provolone

Post by snaps provolone »

Thanks Ponysmasher. This really helps. I can't wait to view my projects on my HD Widescreen! Thanks again.
HBK

Post by HBK »

Out of interest does anyone know what dimensions you should use if you want your animation to appear on a regular TV or monitor (full screen)?
jeff

Post by jeff »

Just a word about high res: remember that you don't have to work at the full 1920 x 1080 while you're building your project. This screen ratio is 16 x9 and any other measurement of this ratio will work, for example you could work at 640 x 360. You'll find test renders are much faster at a smaller size and your computer will have much less work to do while you're animating. When the project is ready to be rendered, then you can up the resolution (File > Project Settings) to see everything in its full glory !

Jeff
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Out of interest does anyone know what dimensions you should use if you want your animation to appear on a regular TV or monitor (full screen)?
For NTSC, render at 720x540. Your editing program should then be able to convert it to 720x480 rectangular pixels for DV. I'm not sure about PAL.

Also, read this thread for a bit more info on the square vs. rectangular pixel discussion (it's in the last half of the discussion)

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... ectangular
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff

Post by jeff »

For PAL "standard shape" ( 4 x 3), you work at 768 x 576 pixels then use an external bit of software (eg. Irfanview) to re-size your images to 720 x 576. It's a pain in the arse, but that's the only way of guaranteeing your circles are still circular when your work gets broadcast.

That said, in the UK, it would be more sensible to work at 1024 x 576, then convert the finished work to 720 x 576 - this will give you the correct squashed anamorphic image for 16 x 9 widescreen use, which is pretty much 100% standard for new productions.

Jeff
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

Just a quick note in respect to the black letterboxed bars.

Although the aspect ratio is 16:9, the image is stored on tape in 4:3 ... the 1024*576 PAL (D1) is anamorphically compressed to 720*576. The format is known as 16:9 FHA or Full Height Anamorphic.

In reality, the "wide screen" is a fudge ... the 720*576 pixels have an aspect ratio of 1.422, which makes the image appear to be wider than it actually is. When it comes to playing back on a TV, it is the set itself which detects the widescreen mode and adjusts accordingly.

One solution is to your problem is Adobe Premier 1.5 ... it has the output facility to convert a anamorph 4:3 into a letterboxed 4:3 for video palyback on standard TV monitors. This means you can still work in HDTV widescreen yet convert to low-res for video recording.

My understanding is that the new HDV only comes in 16:9 ratio.

Sorry if this answer appears complicated ... the subject and convertions are a real brain bender. If you really want to melt your brain, have a read up on the other widescreen option, 960*576 pixels, with a 1.067 pixel ratioed frame.