Question on groups and bones.

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MarkBorok

Question on groups and bones.

Post by MarkBorok »

I just ran into this problem while building a character. Am I correct in assuming that, if you put a group layer inside a bone layer, the bones inside the bone layer will not deform the sub-layers within the group layer, but will only move the entire group layer as a single entity? My character has eyes that are inside a mask layer (so he can open and close his eyelids). I tried to use two bones to bend the head slightly as it moves, but no dice. Only the root bone affects the head.

If this is how it works right now, I think it would be a nice feature (if possible) if group layers could be affected by bones. If I'm missing something, please let me know.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Bone layers are just a specialized form or group layer, so you can put your sub-layers inside another bone layer, which is inside the master bone layer, and so on. The sub bone layer is attached to the master bone layer, and then that sub bone layer can have it's own bone. And can also be used to set up a masking group. If you are in doubt about how you are going to rig your character, use Bone layers instead of Group layers, you can still set up masking as usual, and can still add bones later if you decide you need them.