ball on a rope, yo-yo etc. and physics

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nobilis

ball on a rope, yo-yo etc. and physics

Post by nobilis »

Hi All,

I want to do an animation that involves an item ( or several items) ( a ball for example) resting on a suspended rope, perhaps bouncing off a rope or rolling along a rope at some point. I'm guessing that a trampoline effect might require similar techniques to what my problem does.

Can anyone point me to any good tutorials where I can get the basics for something like this? I have done some rudimentary animation where I have plunged ahead to try to do something, later finding an easier way via online tutorials or the manual and thinking "Gee, I wish I'd known that when..." This time I would like to "read the manual" in order to save a lot of the trial and error, time and headaches. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

-Patrick
Imago

Post by Imago »

In Anime Studio Pro 7 you can use the "physics" option, wich allow you to "simulate" the physycs.
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I think the best is to do it by hand. You only have to understand the logic of moving ropes.
Here you have a tutorial:
viewtopic.php?t=15647
Take in count every move first have a resistance, then a consequence. So you must animate it dephased: while closer to the rope tip, later will be the movement.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Construction curves and point animation.

Construction:
Have a look at this animated GIF:
The two moving black lines are your lose rope. The path they describe is an ellipse, and it's the path of any item on the rope rolling around. You just need to move the two points outside the ellipse to get a path for a shorter rope with more tension. So all you need is to draw an ellipse and place it so it fits your imagination.

Animation: your ball, and two lines with just 2 points. Animate the ball first, let if follow the path. Have the 2 lines meet under the ball, select the 2 points, animate it so it's always under the ball. Done.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

As Imago suggested, You could use physics and a rig, but I agree with selgin and slowtiger here, it is best to animate these by hand.

Here is a rope I animated not long ago with bones dynamics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPxxsdIq46I
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just for fun I built that setup. 15 minutes.

http://www.slowtiger.de/examples/seil.mov

.anme file:
http://www.slowtiger.de/examples/seil.anme.zip (v5.6)
It's also an example of "how to make a non-circular pendulum".
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Nicely done slowtiger!
Genete

Post by Genete »

Slowtiger's example is visually nice but wrongly physically. The length of the rope decreases when the ball roll over it which is strange. The construction should be this:
Say that the distance between the fixing points is R.
1) Draw a Catenarybetween the fixing points. Calculate its length. L
2) With that given length, calculate the solution to the following equation:
a^2 + R^2 = b^2 (this is the position of the ball touching the wall)
a + b = L (this is by definition the length of the rope)
a and b are the distance from the position of the ball to the link points.
3) Obtained a and b draw the ellipse with its focuses at the link points and the mayor and minor axis to be b and a respectively.

This way, the rope and ball effect will be mathematically and physically correct.
-G
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Oh noes, I was wrong on the internetz! *g*

I will not calculate like this - I leave that stuff to 3D riggers. I just do what looks "good enough" - in the end I'll choose cartoony exaggeration anyway.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

No offense Genete, but I agree with slowtiger, as long as it looks good it is fine.

I did a pendulum recently and I made it so it looked right, but it is not 100% accurate.
hothead

Post by hothead »

Genete and slowtiger what are you two trying to do mad me :shock: lol...
i well just leave those calculation and animation up to you both while i sit back and enjoy watching them... :D
Genete

Post by Genete »

Sometimes it is needed to understand how the real world works to make good cartoons. If the physics rules (real or fiction) of your cartoon aren't consistent along all the animation you can confuse the audience with unexpected behaviour.

It is a usual kind of joke to force the physics laws in comic cartoons, to make possible, the impossible. But if the animation doesn't use that kind of jokes on the precise moment and timing, a bad usage of illogic physics ruins the animation.

Those are the right equations, for anyone who want to use it.

Anyway, I still thinking that the rope acts weirdly, but anyone can make animation with its own physics, there won't be a space-time hole or similar doing that ;):
-G
nobilis

Thanks for the tips, going forward now.

Post by nobilis »

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have finally got the the point in the animation where I need to do this and hadn't realized until now that I had more responses on the thread. My curve/dip is going to be so minute that Slowtiger's solution should do the trick. Thanks also Genete, for the mathematical solution, I'll definitely be looking that over just to get a better grip on the physics of it all. I also took the "Just draw it out" suggestion for a close up shot where the rope isn't in the frame. I appreciate all the good help.
nobilis

Thanks to Selgin too. Nice tutorials.

Post by nobilis »

selgin wrote:I think the best is to do it by hand. You only have to understand the logic of moving ropes.
Here you have a tutorial:
viewtopic.php?t=15647
Take in count every move first have a resistance, then a consequence. So you must animate it dephased: while closer to the rope tip, later will be the movement.
Selgin, Thanks also for the great tutorials. I watched the rubber arm one from one of your other posts which I really enjoyed. The one with the dinosaur tail will certain come in handy later. I had just done a tail a little while back. Sure wish I had seen that one before I started! Regards -Patrick