Rubber arms (legs and other) video tutorial

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Rubber arms (legs and other) video tutorial

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, based on this thread I created a video tutorial showing how to rig a rubber arm easily.

You can watch it here.

I hope you enjoy it.
If you have any doubt, please don't hesitate to ask.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Thank you, Selgin.
"and then Man created god!"
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Ah, more selgin goodness! :)

This builds on the mandcon rig by increasing the curvature of the elbow points to create the rubber hose effect. I like your thinking. Also, I like how you fixed the wrist by adjusting the points, rather than use a patch layer.

Nice tip on using the path setting in layer. That's a new one for me.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Thanks, selgin. Could have used this technique a while back when I was trying to rig an octopus...!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
benecosse

Post by benecosse »

nice tutorial, thanks for sharing.
NeedyN00b

Post by NeedyN00b »

thank you. i like the instructional videos so much better than a step by step written explanation. after you completed the bone rig and switched the curvature of the joint points to rubberize it, i involuntarily exclaimed like a little child "ha!"... i stopped short of clapping...
Poptoogi

Selgin

Post by Poptoogi »

.........Selgin...... Once again, awesome, AWESOME tutorial. I've was curious on how to do this for a long, long time and you explained it so simply and easy! Thank you so much for sharing and making a video for this!!!!!!!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
kphgraphics

Post by kphgraphics »

That is very cool, going to have to use that on a character i am working on.
Greenlaw

Re: Rubber arms (legs and other) video tutorial

Post by Greenlaw »

I know this is an old thread but, wow! This is brilliant Victor.

And it's exactly what I needed today. This technique works well with goals too, so I'm able to use it for leg setups with feet that 'stick' to the ground.

Thank you for creating and sharing this tutorial. :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Greenlaw wrote:I know this is an old thread but, wow! This is brilliant Victor.
And it's exactly what I needed today. This technique works well with goals too, so I'm able to use it for leg setups with feet that 'stick' to the ground.
Thank you for creating and sharing this tutorial. :)
Thanks, Dennis :)
Yes, it's very old, but I still use it, because sometimes it's easier to get good results with this technique rather than using Smart bones. Also, it works nicely for tentacles (and, for some reason, we always need to animate tentacles :roll:).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Rats! It just occurred to me that this isn't going to directly work with texture filled shapes.

However, seeing how this works did give me ideas for making what I have to do work better with Smart Warp.

I should make my own tutorial videos before I forget how I'm doing some of this stuff. :)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Greenlaw wrote:Rats! It just occurred to me that this isn't going to directly work with texture filled shapes.
However, seeing how this works did give me ideas for making what I have to do work better with Smart Warp.
I should make my own tutorial videos before I forget how I'm doing some of this stuff. :)
Sorry, I missed this post before. What I normally do is to add the image as a texture and bend it using the strength of the three bones involved. The result won't be perfect, but since the vector which contains the texture is still curved, it helps to give the sensation the texture is curved too.
Well, that's all before Smart Bones and Smart Warp :roll:
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks Victor!

Yes, the textures in the 'noodle' arms and legs in the character I was working on last week did need to conform to the shape very closely, so I wound up using a Smart Warp mesh with a lot of segments instead.

However, the 'rubber hose' system you made did show me specifically how that mesh should bend to look correct, and I used that as a visual reference. I even used the 'elbow' bone setup from your rig to make sure the elbow region of the mesh held the correct rotation angle and kept its volume before I edited the Smart Bone Action. This helped the final Action deform more smoothly and look more natural.

Of course, I had to manually edit most of the other points to make the final 'hose' shape for the action...thank goodness for the Magnet tool! :)

In the end, the final setup for the legs resembled what you came up with very closely, just with Smart Meshes instead. Being able to use targets and a minimal number of leg bones in this setup allowed the animator to animate a cool looking 'rubber hose' walk quickly and efficiently. (We would not have been able to do that with a bone chain.)

While I was editing the mesh for the action, I did wish there was a drawing tool that behaved kinda like Bend but can be manipulated more like bones to reshape a drawing. But I'll have to think more about what would have actually helped me--maybe something resembling a few tools I've used in 3D modeling programs like ZBrush.
Little Yamori

Post by Little Yamori »

Awesome,

Just saw this for the first time. Absolutely brilliant. Very helpful, thanks for making this and for the re-post
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I just updated the Dropbox link. Since Dropbox removed the public links option, I will have to update most of the things I posted in the forum.
If you find anything that is not working, please write in the thread and I will fix it as soon as possible.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com