Characters with Heavy Outline: How?

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GullyFoyle

Characters with Heavy Outline: How?

Post by GullyFoyle »

How would I get a character to output with a heavier outline around the outside edge?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

If you have the 4.6.3 version of Moho, take a look at Tutorial 20 (actually, just the last part of that tutorial). The trick is to use a layer shadow, with specific settings.
GullyFoyle

Post by GullyFoyle »

Wow that was ridiculously simple. I should kick myself! Thank for the quick response! :)
Armaani

Post by Armaani »

One thing to note about this technique: scale compensation doesn't apply to shadows, which means if your animation involves scaling the outlined character, the outline will seem to change in thickness. The effect is similar to what is shown on Moho's Feature Page (look at the scale compensation sample under "drawing features"). You can manually adjust the shadow's expansion parameter to emulate scale compensation, but there's limits on how high expansion can go.

If, on the other hand, your animation doesn't scale the character, then the layer shadow trick will be perfect.
Courtesy of: Your Friendly Neighbourhood Armaani
Independent Storyteller, Humourist, Absurdist, and All-’Round Nice Guy
http://armaankhan.blogspot.com