Head turn with dialogues video tutorial

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GCharb

Head turn with dialogues video tutorial

Post by GCharb »

Hello everyone, whipped up a quick tutorial for my blog on how to do a basic head turn with a talking character.

http://gcharb2d.blogspot.com

Comments or suggestions on how to make these tutorials better are most welcome!
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Nice job Gilles. There seems to be a lot of folks asking for complex head turns lately, while you show a very nice example of a simple head turn that looks just as good. Well done.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I am a member of the K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid, I mean system)

Thanks jondo, never been a fan of complicated when simple does the job.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Also, as I mentioned on my blog, I could have added more actions by moving the eyes, nose and mouth down to give a sense or arc rotation, but even then it works good as is!
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Very useful seeing that process. Another small tip, instead of using the bone to squash, you can also use the scale layer tool. Hold the alt-key (PC) while scaling will scale in the horizontal at the same time. This will help maintain the volume better.

Good job on this one, Gilles!
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Thanks neeters_guy.

Thanks for the tip, already have a list of all ASP short-cuts here.

The reason I choose to scale the bone was that I did not comment on the video, because of the soundtrack, using bone scale shown a visual cue to the tool.

Using layer scale instead would have also been good, and keeping volume is usually best, but I went the easy way here! :)
crsP

Post by crsP »

I saw the end result before this tutorial. I think the movement is too extreme, it didn't read well. I would say it needs a breakdown.

Also your end statement is a bit contradictory. There is a wrong way to do things in animation. That's what results in bad looking animation. A better statement is that there is more than one way to do it correctly. heh
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

What I said is this, there is no wrong way to do things in animation, if it looks good then it is good, and that is the truth.

There are as many ways to animate as there are animators out there, one workflow may suit one animator but not another.

My way of animating does not suit many peoples here, which is fine, since this brings many ways and styles of animation.

This video is a quick and dirty way to make a head turn with dialogue and eye blink, takes 2 minutes to do and gives fairly good results, and of course peoples can add as much to it as they like, this is just a quick run through as mentionned on the blog! :)

Thanks for your criticism crsP, as always! :)
hottygaram

Re: Head turn with dialogues video tutorial

Post by hottygaram »

GCharb wrote:Hello everyone, whipped up a quick tutorial for my blog on how to do a basic head turn with a talking character.

http://gcharb2d.blogspot.com

Comments or suggestions on how to make these tutorials better are most welcome!
thanks it helped me alot