Shape stack order explained (UPDATED with pt 3)

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

Shape stack order explained (UPDATED with pt 3)

Post by funksmaname »

Hey,
I created a tutorial for this principle a long time ago on a site that shut down, so I thought i'd revisit it.

Shape stacking is a unique part of anime studio which makes me use it for illustration over Illustrator sometimes (that and point specific line weight) - its an essential principle that will save you the hassle of masking when you don't need to, and seperating things to too many layers when not necessary.

Once you do this, you can take the mouth into its own layer if you want - it does get a little complicated when you have that many points in one place.

You can also take this further to convert it to use Selgin's 'New improved head turn technique' but that is a more advanced lesson for another time.
part1:

part 2:

part 3:

Pt 3 is less about shape staking, but shows a simpler eye setup.
I also discuss Ramon's Lost Layer tool, and Synthsin's mod of Fazek's meshinstance script (I didn't realise Fazek created this originally hence no mention on the video, but Synth's version mod is the one I use)

Scripts mentioned in this tutorial:

Rudiger's mod of 7feets mod of the select shape tool (FREE - shows stack number)
http://users.on.net/~alexical/Anime%20S ... v6.0.2.zip

Rudigers premium select shape mod (highly reccomended)
viewtopic.php?t=18651

Fazeks tool replacements (couldn't live without 'em)
viewtopic.php?t=3507

Ramón López Lost Layer tool *pt 3*
viewtopic.php?t=16862

Synthsin's MeshInstance script mod (originally by Fazek) *pt 3*
http://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12024
* Synth's version has a better naming convension, but doesn't support curvature like Ramon's version - i've merged them to get the best of both worlds: http://www.mediafire.com/?1d7i66mtk8ck7ba *

in pt 3 I also mention Selgin's New Improved head turn technique:
viewtopic.php?p=87542 *pt 3*

Let me know if you have any questions!

--
disclaimer: this isn't the only or best way to rig faces, but it demonstrates some possible uses.

I've uploaded the anme file here: http://www.mediafire.com/?bvn3c1hmiiikd80 if you want to investigate. I've also put the mouth masking shapes in their own layer so it might make moth animations easier (brings you small one step closer to Selgin's 'new improved head turn' technique :P)

--

here's a cartoon mouth using the same ideas:

I forgot to mention, if you want to select a shape that is below another select the top one (the one you can see) and control + down arrow to layers below it with the shape select tool...

if you put a mouth like this into a switch layer, and turn interpolation on, you can duplicate it and create all your mouth shapes - and it will animate between the mouth shapes you create!
Last edited by funksmaname on Sun May 06, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Shanty Baba

Post by Shanty Baba »

Funksmaname,

Thanks the 2 tutorials. They were great and I learnt loads.
Cheers,
Shanty
jaakay

Post by jaakay »

Hi

Just watched the tutorials and they are very interesting and informative. Thank you.

I know this maybe a silly question, but which one of the files do I need to download for the free Shape Select Tool and how do you install it. I have never installed a script before, sorry. :)

Thanks in advance
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

the free one is Rudigers 7feet mod - when you open it it will have a file inside called 'lm_select_shape.lua'. copy that file into your AS/scripts/tools folder and overwrite the standard one (you can back it up first if you like, just change the extension so it isn't overwritten)
jaakay

Post by jaakay »

Hi Funksmaname,

Thank you for your speedy reply.

I did what you said, However, in my Tools Panel under 'Other' is a '?'. Should there be some icon there instead? Also, I don't see the stacking order indicator in the top right of the editor window which I saw in your video. Is there something else I should have done?

Thanks in advance. :)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

ok, undo whatever you did - move the original lm_shape_select.lua file out of the scripts folder, and copy the one in the download in - don't change the name of anything... that ? should disappear, and when you have the shape select tool selected, you should see the window at the top.
:)
Shepard

Post by Shepard »

Great, really!

Thanks for this tutorial (and the other!), and thanks for the mods links :)
jaakay

Post by jaakay »

OMG!

What I had done was renamed my original lm_select_shape.lua file by putting an underscore in front of it, just so that I did not delete it.

I then removed the file altogether from the script folder and saved it somewhere else. All seems to be working as it should.

Wow. I have been trying to solve this all day.

Thank you so much for your help.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

glad you got it sorted :)
Lex

Post by Lex »

First of all, Funksmaname, THANK YOU for the tutorials you've been putting up. I am new to Anime Studio. I began with the debut version 7 and quickly updated to pro and now pro version 8. Unfortunately, my creative ambition far exceeds my skill level, but the shared knowledge here is really helping.

I apologize in advance if many of the questions I will ask have already been answered. I'm trying to read through the posts, but there is a LOT of material here to sift through, and it sometimes hops around.

Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute sometime in the near future.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Welcome, glad you find them useful.
x-vishon

Post by x-vishon »

How hard would it be too make a button on the interface that automatically creates a duplicate layer and names it with the .dup as an insistence. So just a create insistence button. I think that would be a great tool.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

well, you still have to embed the script, plus you can have multiple duplicates with the naming convension layer.<something>.dup so it really wouldn't save you much work...
Seems like a lot of bother to just save you typing '.dup' when you duplicate a layer? :P
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Great versions of the classic videos. I learned a lot from your original vids and use your techniques all the time. Definitely a must-know.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

thanks man :)