Elegant arm rig with NO masking or patch layers

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

funksmaname

Elegant arm rig with NO masking or patch layers

Post by funksmaname »

while discussing why patches are good or bad in comparison to full blown masking it suddenly clicked that we don't need either to make versatile bending limbs;

the upperarm sits between the forearm and patch shown, as with the forearm sitting between the patch and the hand in the stacking order. Each patch is bound to the bone that controls the part above it, so for example the wrist doesn't rotate with the hand, but is bound to the forearm shape

fiddle with the patch shape until you get the result you want :)

Fulkster

Post by Fulkster »

Simple, and clever!
DK

Post by DK »

Nice funksmaname. That's how I like to do my arms too. The simpler the better!

Cheers
D.K
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Nice one Funks! I generally avoid masks period unless absolutely necessary. Too much work, especially if you're exporting assets to another program and have to setup masks all over again.
Poptoogi

Awesome!

Post by Poptoogi »

Beautiful technique! I'm still determined to figure out why the patches aren't working but I'm thinking now it's not a patch problem but a style and shape validation problem. My noses are having the same problem but I didn't use patches on them. But this technique is awesome. I agree with Darth somewhat, avoid masks when you can but my entire eye rigging system is based on masking. I may have to redo my character entirely because your technique is freakin sweeeeeeett!!!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
KartoonManagement

Post by KartoonManagement »

I've been doing this for a year now.

www.thisisjayslife.com
www.facebook.com/ThisIsJaysLife
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

KartoonManagement wrote:I've been doing this for a year now.
Thanks for sharing :lol:
KartoonManagement

Post by KartoonManagement »

No problem
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

Funksmaname:

Thanks for this and all your youtube tutorials.

I'm trying to sort out my rigging, and am just starting to investigate patches. I'm using a 3/4 view and need the far forearm to pass both in front and behind the body. (For that matter, I might need the near forearm behind the body.)

I gather I can either use duplicate layers that I turn on or off, or just animate the layer order. My questions are: Is the technique in this thread compatible with (or optimal for) what I'm trying to do? If so, have you posted a file of this somewhere? I'm scratching my head trying to figure out the layers and how all this would work.

Thanks,

Richard
Jademunky

Post by Jademunky »

This, along with your other tutorials are fantastic and very easy to follow. You have just saved me a ton of time and hassle. Thanks!
RichardU

Post by RichardU »

I've worked this out and now have a rig that easily allows for arms in front or behind the back.