Using a puppet for motion tracking

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

ErikAtMapache

Using a puppet for motion tracking

Post by ErikAtMapache »

Here is a (rather crude) test I made using Anime Studio's video tracking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDwegroiPI

I snatched one of my kid's puppets and taped balloons to the top an bottom of its mouth. I then used a camcorder to record myself moving the puppet's mouth. I put the premiere elements and used a chromakey effect to black out the background and saved the new file. Finally, I brought the video into AS and used the balloons as tracking points for the head/body layer and the jaw layer.

I haven't seen any mention of this idea before, so I thought I would pass it on.

Erik
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It's very nice. Maybe I will use it with my cousins. You can create several simple characters and make the boys act and boom, animation!
Very nice. :D
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

That was really cool!
~Danimal
madrobot

Post by madrobot »

Cute.

Once I did a freelance gig making characters in Lightwave, rigged to be driven by nulls which were tied to motion data. They shot puppets on blue screen, the puppets were just skeletal frames with tracking balls on them. Anyway yeah Lightwave did my head in but apart from that it was interesting.

(Another software app which advertises something it can;t deliver. For LW it was "cloth physics".)
rogermate

Re: Using a puppet for motion tracking

Post by rogermate »

ErikAtMapache wrote:I put the premiere elements and used a chromakey effect to black out the background and saved the new file. Finally, I brought the video into AS and used the balloons as tracking points for the head/body layer and the jaw layer.
Haven't tried motion tracking yet myself, but I don't think you need to chroma key it first. I think the motion tracking would be able to detect the balloons. Perhaps just a small dot, like a sticker, would work well. Balloons can wiggle around.

Cool test. And a great way to bring a wide range of ages and talents into a project.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I just saw this
http://bryoncaldwell.blogspot.com/2010/ ... inect.html
It looks so cool. Let's dream you could make AS character and assign actions to it according to some gestures.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel