Real motion blur without an expensive plugin!

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Rudiger wrote:By the way, J., I noticed from your update that you now have the alpha fading the further you get away from the main frame. Would it be hard to support multiple options for this like Synfig does, ie constant, linear, hyperbolic. Hey, perhaps we could add a fourth one like exponential, just to annoy them ;).
I'm not sure. I would have to see what those look like.

But I was also thinking about cartoon motion blur. If you created the blur as usual, but skipped it in quarters, it would give it a similar effect. For example, if your animation had 100 sublayers, you could render 25, skip 25, render 25 and skip 25. I may add this to the next release. But I have to get some sleep now. ;)
Genete

Post by Genete »

Rudiger wrote:Hey, perhaps we could add a fourth one like exponential, just to annoy them :wink:.

:lol:
Maybe you prefer to send us a patch to apply it to Synfig code? :wink:
-G
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

J. Baker wrote:
Rudiger wrote:By the way, J., I noticed from your update that you now have the alpha fading the further you get away from the main frame. Would it be hard to support multiple options for this like Synfig does, ie constant, linear, hyperbolic. Hey, perhaps we could add a fourth one like exponential, just to annoy them ;).
I'm not sure. I would have to see what those look like.

But I was also thinking about cartoon motion blur. If you created the blur as usual, but skipped it in quarters, it would give it a similar effect. For example, if your animation had 100 sublayers, you could render 25, skip 25, render 25 and skip 25. I may add this to the next release. But I have to get some sleep now. ;)
That would give a similar effect to the after-images type blur, right? But, wait, how would that be different to using 4 sublayers?
Genete wrote: Rudiger wrote:
Hey, perhaps we could add a fourth one like exponential, just to annoy them Wink.

Laughing
Maybe you prefer to send us a patch to apply it to Synfig code? Wink
:lol:
Sure, just waiting for one of you guys to write a converter between Synfig source code and AS Lua.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Rudiger wrote:
J. Baker wrote:
Rudiger wrote:and it got to me thinking about the possibility of doing a more cartoon-like blur effect in AS.
Do you have any reference images? Although I think I may know what you're talking about.
Hah! Aint that always the way! I paid for it, but you guys get to see it for free!

http://www.cs.umbc.edu/~alark1/papers/t ... onBlur.pdf

I really like the effect on the car on the last page with both lines and deformation. I thought it was a hand-drawn example at first.

So who else would like to see such a feature in Anime Studio?
That would be awesome indeed, is it doable via lua scripting?
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

ulrik wrote: That would be awesome indeed, is it doable via lua scripting?
I'm tempted to give it a go, but for some reason, the ideas that I don't end up scripting are the ones Mike always ends up implementing, so not sure if I should tempt fate, especially since this would be so much better suited to being implemented properly at render time by Mike.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Rudiger wrote:
ulrik wrote: That would be awesome indeed, is it doable via lua scripting?
I'm tempted to give it a go, but for some reason, the ideas that I don't end up scripting are the ones Mike always ends up implementing, so not sure if I should tempt fate, especially since this would be so much better suited to being implemented properly at render time by Mike.
:lol: Yeah I see what you mean.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

MoBlur v0.4 released.

I added some more error checking and you can set your own alpha levels. ;)

Download Here
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

MoBlur v0.5 released.

Better looking GUI then the last.

Reverse checkbox added to the Layers per Frame. Leave unchecked unless you are importing images with an alpha channel. Such as a character with no background.

2x oversampling option added. Give the frames a smoother film like look. This option slows the process down but I think it's worth it.

More error checking.

Looking at adding a "Stop" button, to stop the rendering process if needed.

You can use the same download link above. ;)

Just wondering, is anyone using this?
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

J. Baker wrote:MoBlur v0.5 released.

Better looking GUI then the last.

Reverse checkbox added to the Layers per Frame. Leave unchecked unless you are importing images with an alpha channel. Such as a character with no background.

2x oversampling option added. Give the frames a smoother film like look. This option slows the process down but I think it's worth it.

More error checking.

Looking at adding a "Stop" button, to stop the rendering process if needed.

You can use the same download link above. ;)

Just wondering, is anyone using this?
Hi Baker, yes I have tried it and it really looks great, however I am on mac running osx so it's not going to be usefull in my setup, unfortunately :(
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

ulrik wrote:Hi Baker, yes I have tried it and it really looks great, however I am on mac running osx so it's not going to be usefull in my setup, unfortunately :(
I apologize. Maybe I can find some one on the purebasic forum that has a mac and can compile the code for me. I'll look into it.
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

J. Baker wrote:
ulrik wrote:Hi Baker, yes I have tried it and it really looks great, however I am on mac running osx so it's not going to be usefull in my setup, unfortunately :(
I apologize. Maybe I can find some one on the purebasic forum that has a mac and can compile the code for me. I'll look into it.
Please don't apologize, you're running on windows and of course you will code for windows as well :wink:
You said it's written using pure basic? I have Real basic for mac, maybe it's possible to compile the source code you have, using real basic, what do you think? (I am not familiar with it so I can't tell....)

regards / Ulrik
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

MoBlur v0.52 released.

The window no longer freezes as the rendering is done on its own thread. This does not require a multi-core processor. It's multi-threading on a single core processor.

Also, if you export more then 10,000 images from AnimeStudio, the files will not load properly in MoBlur. Because Anime Studio usually has a 4 digit number after the file name. But once you get to 10,000 it becomes a 5 digit number after the file name. This causes an issue since MoBlur thinks "test10000.png" comes after test1000.png".

I've already reported this issue to Mike.

Enjoy! ;)
Last edited by J. Baker on Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

ulrik wrote:
J. Baker wrote:
Please don't apologize, you're running on windows and of course you will code for windows as well :wink:
You said it's written using pure basic? I have Real basic for mac, maybe it's possible to compile the source code you have, using real basic, what do you think? (I am not familiar with it so I can't tell....)

regards / Ulrik
I wish it was that easy. But RealBasic can't compile PureBasic code. Nice thought though. ;)
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

MoBlur v0.53 released.

Saved images are now saved with the same amount of digits as your highest frame number.

More error checking.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

MoBlur v0.6 released.

You can now quit a rendering process. Selecting "Quit" just pauses it. You have to select the "Yes" or "No" option.

Slight gui change as an "Alpha Level" value can now be anything. Basically removed some extra descriptive text and a couple minor shifts to adjust layout.

The "MoBlur Temp" file is now hidden. Unless you have your OS set to view hidden files.

More error checking.

Enjoy! ;)