head turn tutorial

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

hothead

head turn tutorial

Post by hothead »

which is the best way to do a head turn
a. with switch layer
b. with masking
c. with bone

i want to know how to do a head turn in general like with a human head
PARKER

Re: head turn tutorial

Post by PARKER »

hothead wrote:which is the best way to do a head turn
a. with switch layer
b. with masking
c. with bone

I would do it with switch layers, frame by frame.
pez

Post by pez »

Switch layers can do the job, but I prefer to create an action with a morph.

You can later play with the morphs using the blend morphs tool.

Selgin described such a method in this post:

viewtopic.php?p=77099
Pez
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

I personally like some of the ideas that Selgin has developed recently. But the easiest way is with switch layers (not interpolated) as Parker has suggested. Not all animations need slow 3D-like head turns.

There isn't a "best" way regarding head turns. You have to try different techniques until you find a method that gives you the results you want. Search the forum for "head turn", there are volumes written about it. Here are three to get you started:

New improved Head Turn Technique!

how I turn heads

Video Training: How to Make a Head Turn with Actions PART 3
hothead

Post by hothead »

the switch layer is ok as it is the one that i use the only problem is that you cant add some of the tween to the keyframe. the blend morph head turn looks like it not hard to do. hoe will i get the ears to go behind the head with the blend morph with 9 head turn pose also the lips to do lip sync. :?:

like the blend morph head turn in ASP7 on it on one layer i can do that one but how will i attach the ears so in can go behind the head can to add lips to lipsync
??? WHY or HOW CAN or CANT I ANIMATE SHAPE ORDERING ON ONE LAYER so that i can do blend morph head turn. that would be cool hey vern can you script this too i have a lot of ideas for ASP but some of you guy do like when i post a lot of good comment.

from now on i well put fun in just forum so we all can learn more right DK, vern on all others
hothead

Re: head turn tutorial

Post by hothead »

hothead wrote:which is the best way to do a head turn
a. with switch layer
b. with masking
c. with bone

d. with shape order

example of shape order here i did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8xP1NJgfxk
Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

I've actually done several searches using "head turn" in the search, but it brings up a ton of posts which have nothing to do with head turning. So, I'm getting frustrated trying to find some. I saw one a long time ago, either here or on youtube, by Heyvern, and as I recall he did a great job explaining turns using switch layers.
The other problem is I'm trying to do these animations on the models that are already in AS7, not ones that I created, but I can't even add a switch layer, it won't let me. I'll just keep looking...
freecartman™

Post by freecartman™ »

the best way is selgin's technique you can find it in his own thread.....it's easy and, i think, it gives the best effect