Searching for 3D freeware and

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Marcelo

Searching for 3D freeware and

Post by Marcelo »

Hi,

I have Blender (3D software), but too complicated to handle.

Does anybody know an user friendly and economic (or free) 3D software compatible with Moho? A link to download will be appreciated.
Which 3D programs do you use to build 3D objects to import into Moho? Some users seem to have problems with their programs.
-----------------
Marcelo
:roll:
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

http://www.wings3d.com/
The recommended package for Moho, I didn't test with it myself yet but should be quite easy to use.

http://www.anim8or.com/
Free, one of the easier 3D programs but I think the objects can't be loaded to Moho directly, maybe with a conversion tool.

Good luck,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
00moa00

Post by 00moa00 »

try wings 3D, hexa great 3D, metasequoia or hamapatch....
Marcelo

Post by Marcelo »

thanks for your tips. Just downloaded Wings3D and will see if I get around with it. First I should learn Moho, shouldn't I?
___
Marcelo
:P
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Marcelo wrote:thanks for your tips. Just downloaded Wings3D and will see if I get around with it. First I should learn Moho, shouldn't I?
___
Marcelo
:P
I've had good luck with importing wings 3d objs into moho, especially when using 7feet's shading script, available on this forum.

Personally, I think it's kind of fun to be learning both at the same time. :-)
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Any recommendations on a free program to draw textures on a wings .obj file? I wasn't able to find anything.
Dave
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Banterfield wrote:Any recommendations on a free program to draw textures on a wings .obj file? I wasn't able to find anything.
Hi,

In this thread here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1393

at the bottom of the page I have a recipe for creating a material file from within wings and then using gimp (or any other editor capable of working on targa files) to texture the materials.

NOTE: This method is incompatible with 7feet's Simple Object Shading.

What I've done when that was a problem for me was to break it out into two separate objects. One gets shaded, the other I edit the materials.

Let me know if this isn't clear enough.

jorgy
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Dave
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Hey Jorgy, it's cool you're using the shading script. How is it working for you? Any suggestions for improvement? There was a bunch of downloads but not much feedback on how it was working for folks. Theres a bunch of "texture point" functions in the script interface, so eventually that may be handleable in Moho. I should throw copying of the texture points into SOS for completeness, but I think as Moho interprets it texture trumps material every time. But it wouldn't hurt just to burn the OBJ into the .moho file, if it's not totally senseless you would at least not lose the 3D data, even if the texture went south.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

7feet wrote:Hey Jorgy, it's cool you're using the shading script. How is it working for you? Any suggestions for improvement?
It's working very well for me, and I'm using it extensively in my current project (this project is the reason why I didn't enter the contest).

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/13110372880.jpg&s=x2

Here is a frame from the introduction to the project, a model of the exterior of the building I work in, as well as a sidewalk and some hills with trees. Sky, mountains, and trees are vector layers, the rest are 3d models from wings, shaded with your script. There are some glitches still, though (purple triangles showing through). These are similar to the problems sevenmile is having here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1654

I also have models of a "cube farm" inside the building, as well as my boss' office at the end of the hall. The shading on our cubes turned out very well. And yes, our cubes are salmon colored. :-(

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/13110381135.jpg&s=x2

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/13110385020.jpg&s=x2

7feet wrote:Theres a bunch of "texture point" functions in the script interface, so eventually that may be handleable in Moho. I should throw copying of the texture points into SOS for completeness, but I think as Moho interprets it texture trumps material every time. But it wouldn't hurt just to burn the OBJ into the .moho file, if it's not totally senseless you would at least not lose the 3D data, even if the texture went south.
It would be *very* nice to be able to integrate textures and materials.

As far as burning the obj file into moho, from my perspective I don't see this as necessary.

Thanks again for a great script that I use almost every day!

jorgy
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Glad you're finding the little sucker useful. I was kind of surprised I was able to make it work in the first place. Never ever ever thought I would try to do any sort of 3D programming. The burn-in was more of an artifact of how I figured out to do it. It would certainly be possible to write a version that worked on the original file, but it was far easier (for me) to set it up as I did. Since you're playing with it, and I hadn't check, does[/i/] the textureing completely overide the materials when you import into Moho? I just kinda assumed it did, but I could be wrong.

Also, one thing you might consider. In my initial post when I first got SOS to do something, I had imported an object where I had applied a small bevel to all the edges just before I exported the object, and aplied a black material to all the new "bevel" faces. This gave it an "outline" to all the faces, which leads to a much more proper cartoon look. Unless you are against outlines, for the type of stuff you are using might benefit from the technique. Moho's outlining is pretty scattershot, and I prefer to just turn it off. Intrinsic outlines built into the model and a small no-offset layer shadow for the overall outline looks pretty toony.

As I had posted in that other thread you referenced, Jorgy, Quadrangulate the objects to get rid of any polys that have more than 4 sides, and those glitches should go away. Its kind of like a lot of game engines that require everything to be triangulated, taking n-sided polygons into account takes a lot more processing. And cool pics.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

7feet wrote:Since you're playing with it, and I hadn't check, does[/i/] the textureing completely overide the materials when you import into Moho? I just kinda assumed it did, but I could be wrong.

I did a quick test just now, and the texturing does override the materials.

Since I have some specific wings technique questions, so I think I'll post them here in the forums, since the people here are so friendly and helpful. :-)