New improved Head Turn Technique!

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Little Yamori

Re: New improved Head Turn Technique!

Post by Little Yamori »

Thanks, Hopefully I'll have some more work done soon to see if I pull it off correctly
Marc Collin

Post by Marc Collin »

Lots of techniques are new for me and I will do practice on these options. Ideas are cool and follow able having much knowledge and information for practitioners.
gwbond

Post by gwbond »

I wanted to let people on this thread know that I've made my own, incremental, contribution to selgin's technique and posted an example, along with supporting scripts here. This project illustrates a variation on selgin's head turn approach that uses switch layers for the mouth and jaw in order to take advantage of Anime Studio's built-in switch layer-based lip syncing.

The project is part of my anime-studio GitHub repository. I think GitHub is a good place for the Anime Studio community to use to share and maintain scripts and projects. My repository also includes a rewritten version of fazek's and ramon0's meshinstance script, as well as a few other scripts that may be of use to the community.
sfz95

Post by sfz95 »

I joined the forum to ask about this problem.
Looks like you've already taken care of it! I just need to find that script and I'm about set to go. Thanks!!
TheMinahBird

Post by TheMinahBird »

but how to do the eyes though? :o
"Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure; men love in haste but they detest at leisure" - Lord Byron
braj

Post by braj »

TheMinahBird wrote:but how to do the eyes though? :o
There are a couple of options, you can simply put the eyes outside the masked face and animate layer order to hide them behind the face when turning (in 9.5 and up anyway). Another way that I'm taking is Selgin's example below as I think it works really well with this type of mouth animation and simplifies the character a bit (using just the eyes as the mouth is done per the head turn example):

braj

Post by braj »

Does anyone else have some weird issues if you try and change point curvature when creating the smartbone dials for the headturn? I have to go into the .dup layer to change the point curves manually in these instances, and I'm not sure but it may be responsible for some preview display issues.
braj

Post by braj »

One more question about masking: if you want to include the eyes in the masked head layer, and want to use the pseudo masked multi-layer sort of eyes that Selgin suggested above, is there any way to not have these obscure the shape outline? If you select 'Exclude Strokes' in the head layer masking options, you get the line going through where the mouth is masked.

For example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh27zad1o1jkw ... k.jpg?dl=0
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

braj wrote:Does anyone else have some weird issues if you try and change point curvature when creating the smartbone dials for the headturn? I have to go into the .dup layer to change the point curves manually in these instances, and I'm not sure but it may be responsible for some preview display issues.
The meshinstance script currently doesn't support duplicating point curvature (or point widths for that matter), just point motion.
ARTzuza

Post by ARTzuza »

braj wrote:One more question about masking: if you want to include the eyes in the masked head layer, and want to use the pseudo masked multi-layer sort of eyes that Selgin suggested above, is there any way to not have these obscure the shape outline? If you select 'Exclude Strokes' in the head layer masking options, you get the line going through where the mouth is masked.

For example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh27zad1o1jkw ... k.jpg?dl=0

Fazek's meshintance script doesn´t support curvature changes, but the user FUNKSMANAME made a variation supporting curvature:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1d7i6 ... _final.zip

In funksmaname post he explain about it:
Synthsin's MeshInstance script mod (originally by Fazek) *pt 3*
http://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12024
* Synth's version has a better naming convension, but doesn't support curvature like Ramon's version - i've merged them to get the best of both worlds: http://www.mediafire.com/?1d7i66mtk8ck7ba *
Original post:
viewtopic.php?p=109342
-----------------------------------------
Tutorials, Making of and more in My Youtube channel:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:https://www.youtube.com/c/ARTzuzaAnimation
braj

Post by braj »

Oh thanks ARTzuza, that's perfect!
braj

Post by braj »

I tried downloading the linked .anime file but get a bad file type, it looks like it is supposed to be a script so I dunno what is going on, and the docs confuse me. Has anyone else had any luck getting switch layers to work with this method?

gwbond wrote:I wanted to let people on this thread know that I've made my own, incremental, contribution to selgin's technique and posted an example, along with supporting scripts here. This project illustrates a variation on selgin's head turn approach that uses switch layers for the mouth and jaw in order to take advantage of Anime Studio's built-in switch layer-based lip syncing.

The project is part of my anime-studio GitHub repository. I think GitHub is a good place for the Anime Studio community to use to share and maintain scripts and projects. My repository also includes a rewritten version of fazek's and ramon0's meshinstance script, as well as a few other scripts that may be of use to the community.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

neeters_guy wrote:
braj wrote:Does anyone else have some weird issues if you try and change point curvature when creating the smartbone dials for the headturn? I have to go into the .dup layer to change the point curves manually in these instances, and I'm not sure but it may be responsible for some preview display issues.
The meshinstance script currently doesn't support duplicating point curvature (or point widths for that matter), just point motion.
Synthsin mentioned this elsewhere, but reference layers (v11) can be used as a new-and-improved replacement for the meshinstance script. For this head turn technique, you simply replace the dup layers with a reference layer. Now you can change curvature and line width as well as point motion in mouth and face layers. Super cool! :D
braj

Post by braj »

neeters_guy wrote:
neeters_guy wrote:
Synthsin mentioned this elsewhere, but reference layers (v11) can be used as a new-and-improved replacement for the meshinstance script. For this head turn technique, you simply replace the dup layers with a reference layer. Now you can change curvature and line width as well as point motion in mouth and face layers. Super cool! :D
I'd love to see a demo of how that works. FWIW, I created a basic head turn on a new character by creating references of a master (front) head and just updated a 3/4 and side but adjusted the referenced layers, but that way when you add a new mouth, all the views get a new mouth etc. If you don't want to use some element in one view, just replace it, like hair for a side view would be radically different perhaps. I'm still messing with that, but anyhow, reference layers are super cool and I obviously can improve many different workflows and styles.
braj

Post by braj »

I just tried this and can't get it to work, do you need any script installed? I'm working with just the vanilla default v11 now, and using reference layers in place of the .dup layers, with the masking set in the example screenshot.