Playing with blending modes

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Playing with blending modes

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I'm just playing with blending modes and adapting a technique at office people use on after effects.

It's about creating amazing lighting effects without too much effort.
Basically it's how it works:

- take a character and duplicate it
- give the duplicated character (which should be over the original on layer order) some blur and change its layer blending mode (overlay, add, luminosity, etc)
- render the frame to see the result

If it's not working well you can try with changing the blending mode, or increase/decrease the blur or transparency.

More experienced users could play with masking or with the blending modes of other layers. For example, a layer with a gradient gives fantastic effects with the right mode and transparency.

It's all about play :D

Here you can see a couple tests:

Spaceship test video Here (mediafire, 4 mb)
Last edited by Víctor Paredes on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
super8mm

Post by super8mm »

Cool space ship and nice 3D too.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

http://vimeo.com/9387135
Another test with lighting. I'm just loving blending modes.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi, I want to add another tip. This image has two layers, head and glasses. On the left, the glasses blending mode is "Normal" and on the right is "Screen". Check the result:
I just took the picture of the glasses on a black background.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Nice one Selgin.

I am still learning AS basics but can't wait to tuck in to some more advanced work with blending modes - have been using Photoshop for 10+ years now so hopefully it'll all come across straightforward! (unlike masking, ouch!)

P.S. Is that image with the sunglasses you?
PARKER

Post by PARKER »

cheyne wrote:Nice one Selgin.

I am still learning AS basics but can't wait to tuck in to some more advanced work with blending modes - have been using Photoshop for 10+ years now so hopefully it'll all come across straightforward! (unlike masking, ouch!)

P.S. Is that image with the sunglasses you?
Well i can tell you something interesting about layer blending mode in PS and AS.
I know a really nice trick to get a nice and strong lighting effect on AS that can be done as well on PS.
What you have to do is to use a black shape in the same layer where you have your highlights and set the layer blending mode to Add, this will enhance the lighting effects on the layer, more info here:

viewtopic.php?t=17782

Its the same in PS but in PS this trick works with the layer blending mode set to Screen instead of Add.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

cheyne wrote:P.S. Is that image with the sunglasses you?
Hehe, no, it's not me. But I'm one of the laughter guys on the cut out preview you can see on share your work.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

Bah, I missed this reply somehow. haha. Cool fun.
I used to sneak pictures of myself into clients images on occasion - kind of like a sneaky signature of sorts. :lol: