Water wave effect

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

super8mm

Water wave effect

Post by super8mm »

http://vimeo.com/6495852
Here's how to make this effect.

In a group folder are 4 layers
This folder is set to "Hide all"

Layer 1:
http://img40.yfrog.com/i/waves1.jpg/
A drawing of many white shapes in an inverted mesh pattern. White is also the color of the reflections. Inverted meaning the holes of the mesh are the shapes. It is important that the left end is identical to the right end so that when it cycles to the last frame it looks like the shapes on the first frame for a seamless loop.
This layer is set to "Mask this layer"

Layer 2:
Same as one but moved over so that the off screen pieces are to the right and scaled slightly different than the first.
This layer is set to "Subtract from mask"

Layer 3:
Same as one but scaled slightly different than Layer 1 and 2.
This layer is set to "Add to mask but keep invisible"

Layer 4:
The fourth layer is a filled square covering the entire area of water, you can change the opacity of this layer to see below the reflections.
This layer is set to "Add to mask but keep invisible"

Layer 5:
This layer is not part of the Group Folder. This can be sand or the bottom of a pool for example. I used a swimming pool aqua colored square in this example.

Animating
Layer 1:
Scroll from left to right from frame 1 to 72, right click on keyfrme on 1 set to Linear.

Layer 2:
Scroll from right to left from frame 1 to 72, right click on keyfrme on 1 set to Linear.

Layer 3:
On frame 1, select all points, then use the Wavy script Scripts>Warp>Wavy... for the entire animation. Frequency=1, Amplitude=1, Constant amplitude

Additionally, you may want to move layer1 slightly up or down at the point of the animation where the pattern turns unsightly or looks unorganic. Simply add a keyframe (always linear ones) to nudge up or down will cure that problem. This effect also looks great in perspective.
dsaenz825

Post by dsaenz825 »

very cool, yet simple tip

Now if you blurr the white a bit and brighten up the white with a video editor, it might look more like sunlight reflecting from the water.

Nice job either way! :wink:
I love comments for they help me improve on my weaknesses.
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Nice Tutorial and great effect. Thanks Super8mm for sharing the technique.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I finally got a chance to try out this tutorial and it's awesome! Now I just need to find a way to add water scenes to my project. :)