arm bending

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

meltedtoons

arm bending

Post by meltedtoons »

I use adobe flash, and it's easy to do bending arms there so I did the similar thing with bones.

Take a look.....
Examples...

1. http://meltedtoons.com/armbend.swf
2. http://meltedtoons.com/arm.swf
3. http://meltedtoons.com/armbend2.swf

Tell me what you think..
Last edited by meltedtoons on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeeHasPencil

Post by LeeHasPencil »

Nice bend ^_^

Are you using to vector layers for that, upper and lower arm? Or is it two shapes?

I haven't figured this one out yet, I still have jelly arms myself lol.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

The best and simplest arm rigging I have seen so far is on this thread, there you will find this file.

Since I downloaded it I always use his technique.

Obviously the credits are for mandcon.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

LeeHasPencil wrote:Nice bend ^_^

Are you using to vector layers for that, upper and lower arm? Or is it two shapes?

I haven't figured this one out yet, I still have jelly arms myself lol.
I use two vector layers. I add two bones and to animate I use the translate bone tool and Manipulate bone tool.

heres the file for the first one:
http://meltedtoons.com/armbend.anme

you have to copy and paste it to notepad and save it and open it on Anime Studio 6 Pro. If you have a version below Anime Studio 6 Pro let me know and I'll make you another Anime Studio 5.6 Debut file
LeeHasPencil

Post by LeeHasPencil »

Cheers, both. :)
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

if anyone has questions you can email me at eric@meltedtoons.com
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

selgin wrote:The best and simplest arm rigging I have seen so far is on this thread, there you will find this file.
Thanks, Selgin. I read that thread before, but missed that link. You're right, it's amazingly simple, yet effective.

Meltedtoons, in a setup like yours, you could eliminate the extra bone translation keys in your file by making the overlapping area a perfect circle and point the bones dead center. Otherwise, when you rotate the lower arm, the elbow goes out of alignment and you have to tweak the arm.
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

neeters_guy wrote:
selgin wrote:The best and simplest arm rigging I have seen so far is on this thread, there you will find this file.
Thanks, Selgin. I read that thread before, but missed that link. You're right, it's amazingly simple, yet effective.

Meltedtoons, in a setup like yours, you could eliminate the extra bone translation keys in your file by making the overlapping area a perfect circle and point the bones dead center. Otherwise, when you rotate the lower arm, the elbow goes out of alignment and you have to tweak the arm.
Well the reason why I'm doing this is cause I like animating like on flash and using the advantages of Anime Studio's tools such as the bone tool.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

meltedtoons wrote:Well the reason why I'm doing this is cause I like animating like on flash and using the advantages of Anime Studio's tools such as the bone tool.
What do you mean you like animating like on flash?
At least for me it's more important the result than the way you made it. I think the flexibility of the mandcon's arm is very superior than working with separate parts for arm and forearm. And it's very simple to configure that arm technique, so you win flexibility without losing time, which is fantastic.
For me it's about how do you solve the problems presented and how do you adapt the tool to your desired product (and not viceversa).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

well part of the reason is, I used anime studio since, 2006 and I hated how long it takes to set up the bones. so, thats why i switched over to Flash but I didn't like Flash because it required Scripts ALOT... even for a type of lip sync.
Also I like it when it gives me alot of control of the movements. And I donno why but I like using the long way of techniques. It's more satsifing then just moving a bone and saying voila! this is only refereeing to some parts of animation, like head turns, I wish i can do that in a click of a button. And I'm sure that'll happen some day....
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Wow, that really is a confusing reply.

"I like using the long way of techniques..." and "...I wish i can do (head turns) in a click of a button..." !

Which is it?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
LeeHasPencil

Post by LeeHasPencil »

Do you want the long or short answer? ;)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If you want head turns at the click of a button, use a 3D application.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

selgin

Since I downloaded it I always use his technique..
Somehow the link to file for me is not good. I don't find a file only a page with a bunch of words and numbers like programers language or something. Any help?

udd
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

uddhava wrote:

Since I downloaded it I always use his technique.
Somehow the link to file for me is not good. I don't find a file only a page with a bunch of words and numbers like programers language or something. Any help?
Try with right click, save file as. The codes you are seeing is your explorer opening the anme file, just like when you open it on notepad.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com