3D programs in Anime studio

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

falcon7

3D programs in Anime studio

Post by falcon7 »

What 3d program would you guys suggest to use in anime studio 5? So far, the 3d obj I put into AS have weird outlines(they get thicker then thinner when i move the object). I am currently using blender 3d.
Imago

Post by Imago »

I have the same problem.
I think it depends by the graphics card and drivers installed in the PC.
I've tried the 3D OBJ by Blender, DAZ Studio, Poser 6 and Anim8 but nothing changed...
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
Genete

Post by Genete »

http://www.lostmarble.com/links.shtml
LM recommends Wings3D.
-G
donnie

Post by donnie »

You might want to tinker with the '3d Options' tab in the layer settings dialogue.

Change 'edge offset' to zero for instance to get rid of the outlines. Changing polygon orientation sometimes helps with certain objects, depends how they are made in the 3d package I think. Keeping .obj Files and .mtl files in same folder as your Anime Studio file may also help.
Havent used the 3d import too much to be honest.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

donnie wrote:You might want to tinker with the '3d Options' tab in the layer settings dialogue.

Change 'edge offset' to zero for instance to get rid of the outlines.
Yep, that's the key - set the edge offset to 0 if you don't want those outlines.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

A tip: sometimes, if you do want the lines, it's better to add a hard shadow on the 3d layer proprieties (with no blur, no offset and a color with no transparency). I used to use this a lot.
andrewjs

Post by andrewjs »

If you create a 3D model in Wings 3D and then import it into AS 5.6, does that model retain its 3D properties so that you can rotate it in 3D using the layer tools, much like rotating the 3D cube in the AS tutorials? Does it vectorize the curves into AS vector point curves?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

andrewjs wrote:If you create a 3D model in Wings 3D and then import it into AS 5.6, does that model retain its 3D properties so that you can rotate it in 3D using the layer tools, much like rotating the 3D cube in the AS tutorials? Does it vectorize the curves into AS vector point curves?
AS import it as a 3d model. you can rotate, move, scale and even can be animated using with bones.
But there are limitations. AS has no lights, so your model will be plain, no shadows no shading (you can emulating them using shading effects or masking, of course). When you animate an object using bones, you have no 3d freedom, because AS bones only works in 2d, so you must to be ingenious to get some movements. And you can't edit the points of a 3d object using AS, the object still always being fixed, you can play with it, but no edit it.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello all!

Just made a simple 3d hand in wings, imported it in asp 6 and did a very simple animation of the hand going further away.

All in all it looks ok to me, AA isnt too good though.

3DHand_ASPro6.mov 405 kb

I tried to turn off scale compensation on the 3d layer, nothing changes, the lines still get smaller as it goes away!

Gilles
andrewjs

Post by andrewjs »

nice hand, are you able to animate each finger and perform camera moves around the 3D object to see it from all angles?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

andrewjs wrote:nice hand, are you able to animate each finger and perform camera moves around the 3D object to see it from all angles?
Like selgin said, you can animate them with bones, though I do not think you can animate a single model into separate parts, like fingers and such, I supose if you import the 3d models in separate parts you might be able to rig a fully animatable 3d object, never tried it, maybe someonelse did.

Here is the 3d model I used.

3D Hand obj 88kb

Gilles
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I have made some experiments with 3d
it's from this old thread
viewtopic.php?t=4177
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Hello again!

I looked at the files on your old post selgin, look real cute, but seems a bit tedious, I did alot of 3d to 2d about 10 years ago, here are some of the tests I made back then.

Lipsynchtest_am.mov 953kb

Rooster_AM.mov 2.94mb

Those we're made in Animation Master 98, was fun stuff, easy to setup and it has beautifull 2d shader with huge amount of control.

3D objects seem to be a bit out of place in a 2d software like ASPro, but I would like a better shader for backgrounds like manga studio.

Just a thought!

Gilles
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

GCharb wrote:
andrewjs wrote:nice hand, are you able to animate each finger and perform camera moves around the 3D object to see it from all angles?
Like selgin said, you can animate them with bones, though I do not think you can animate a single model into separate parts, like fingers and such, I supose if you import the 3d models in separate parts you might be able to rig a fully animatable 3d object, never tried it, maybe someonelse did.

Here is the 3d model I used.

3D Hand obj 88kb

Gilles
Hi Gilles,
I did not have any luck downloading your sample file, or the .obj file. If the link is dead, could I trouble you to repost it?