Arm Rig Tutorial

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mkelley

Arm Rig Tutorial

Post by mkelley »

Talk about timing -- with all the excitement about AS 6 I think this is the *perfect* time to tout my new arm tutorial (because, basically, no one will pay any attention to it -- hey it was my *first* tutorial and I'm not so sure I can stand the scrutiny).

Basically it's just an explanation of the arm and leg rig a lot of us use, so mostly (completely?) for newbees. While done in AS 6 it's not AS 6 specific (nothing I do takes any advantage of the new AS 6 features).

I mostly did this to try out Camastia (sp?) which works pretty good (although I kind of hate the fact the mouse becomes hard to spot at times, and that it won't produce AVI that I can easily edit in my video editor). I did it in one take (editing out a few gross errors) so forgive the silliness at times.

http://www.kelleytoons.com
toonertime

Post by toonertime »

Enjoyable tootoryal, Mr. Kelley!

Thanks for taking the time to make it
and post it!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Yes, good tutorial, mkelley. And thanks for putting the Genete rig, I didn't see it between so many crazy rigs.
Just one thing, In the part you "paint transparent" you could just eliminate the shape and paint each part of the arm again, then hide the middle stroke.

PD: For some reason vimeo timeline says that the tutorial duration is the double of what really is. Maybe is my navigator who went crazy.
deserata

Post by deserata »

I've come to realize that I never properly learned to rig. I did the beginner's tutorial with the hideous purple guy, but when building your own characters there's a lot more to it than that.

So, thanks for this. :)

By the way -- is there really 27 minutes of black screen after your tutorial ends, or is it something with my computer? :oops:
L'exactitude n'est pas la vérité.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I think maybe Vimeo is having a problem with the type of file that Camtasia produces, so it's reporting the time incorrectly. In any case, it ends after I say "it went thataway".

And although it's not clear in the tutorial (because I really was just winging this and hadn't thought it out too much) I purposefully picked a *very* difficult arm to do this with. Most arms won't be this thick, or will have shape at the top (like a bicep shape) and narrower forearm, and as a result it will be MUCH easier to get right. But I wanted to show that if you can do it with this thick a shape you can do it with anything.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

selgin wrote:Just one thing, In the part you "paint transparent" you could just eliminate the shape and paint each part of the arm again, then hide the middle stroke..
Oooo, I learn something from posting a tutorial. Cool.

For those of you playing along at home, what Selgin is saying is that when I fill one part and suddenly the other part appears to fill you can just use the Q (or select shape) to select that area and delete it. You actually don't need to repaint anything, then.

So evidently what is happening in that circumstance is that AS is creating another shape at the same time -- I kind of wondered about that. If this confuses anyone don't fret -- the steps I do in the video will work. It's just that this is cleaner and easier (perhaps a second or two faster).

Then again -- now that I look at what he's saying I'm not sure that's what he's saying at all, although what I just wrote works. So, Selgin, if I have misinterpreted you perhaps it's time for YOUR tutorial <g>. I can recommend Camtasia.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I am saying that is not necessary to add alpha to the part you don't want to be shown. You can just eliminate the shape, if there is a shape (using the delete shape tool) and then paint the arm and the bicep separately.
So, Selgin, if I have misinterpreted you perhaps it's time for YOUR tutorial <g>. I can recommend Camtasia.
:roll: Actually I'm planning to do some tutorials, but in spanish. It's for two reason, first, there are so little info in spanish for AS that I feel the responsibility of be supportive with my friends spanish speakers. And second, if my written english is bad (I don't know if I wrote well the shape stuff yet), my speaking is worse. I'm sure you all don't want to hear something like Fidel Castro teaching AS.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

selgin wrote:I'm sure you all don't want to hear something like Fidel Castro teaching AS.
Particularly now since he's dead (that would be creepy). Trust me, he's dead <g>.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

mkelley wrote:
selgin wrote:I'm sure you all don't want to hear something like Fidel Castro teaching AS.
Particularly now since he's dead (that would be creepy). Trust me, he's dead <g>.
I'll go to Cuba in October, if you want I can knock his door and try to check your theory :roll: (but seriously, I want to try to see by myself how are the things there, this year I went to Venezuela and you would terrorized of how many things about that country are false).
Patmals

Post by Patmals »

Thanks Mike for the nice tutorial ;)
Genete

Post by Genete »

Aaaaaah! the springy bones! :lol: :lol: I totally forgot them! Nice tutorial mkelley!
-G
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Genete,

How could you forget? Greatest invention since sliced bread.

Seriously, thanks for coming up with them, as I don't know what I'd do without them (I'm still hoping that the next version of AS will include some sort of automatic process like this, perhaps a slice width control based on bone angle, but your rig comes the closest).
foundmarble

Post by foundmarble »

Nice tutorial. Very informative.
One question...is it possible to get the rig for 5.6 (file will not open without 6) or a link to a thread that contains it?

I tried searching the forums, however, came up with dead ends.

Thanks,
Found M
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

D'oh!

I should have saved it in 5.6 format -- completely forgot it might not open in the older version.

Okay, I've updated that link and now that zip file includes both the 6.0 as well as the 5.6 version (note to self: any more examples posted anywhere need to include BOTH 5.6 and 6.0 versions where possible).
jose1984alberto

rig parenting

Post by jose1984alberto »

im using AS 5.6, it that rig compatible with that version? can someone show the parenting?? im trying to make it but it doesnt work.

thanks

update: woops, found the download link, thanks, im gonna examin it now