Tips for voice overs...

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CrAzY Dan

Tips for voice overs...

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Has anyone got any tips on how to do the voices in toons because i'm having a bit of trouble doing them.

Thanks to anyone that helps.

CrAzY Dan :lol:
15 year old Anime Studio user...
27/12/06: Im back and ready to get creating again!!
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

Where exactly are you having problems in the voices in toons?

----------

I suggest to check out Tutorials 5.1 and 5.2 in the Moho User Manual. I followed 5.1 and it worked for me. It is a very clever way to do lipsyncing.

Tutorial 5.2 involves other software, but the method shown in 5.1 works for about 99% of lipsyncing.
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

It isn't really the lipsyncing i'm having problems with. It's wether to do the animation first and then add speech or the other way around.
I'll try it anyway!

Thanks
myles

Post by myles »

The classical advice I've heard is

1. Record your speech first - this will give you timing, emotional emphasis and keypoints to add gestures (facial frowns, grimaces, etc, as well as finger pointing, table thumping, hand waving and gestures, fist shaking, foot stamping, etc).

2. Animate the body and face next, using the sound track - including such things as tilting the head down for depression or shyness, narrowing the eyes/eyelids for anger or suspicion, raising and lowering the eyebrows for emphasis, etc, as well as broad movements of the body, arms and hands.
Some advice I've heard/read says to break this down into two parts - do the broad body movements first, then the facial movements.

3. Add your lip-synch in last, when all the above looks okay. Lip-synch frames often lead the sound they produce by a frame or two (or sometimes three), as your characters puts their lips together to make the "m" sound, for example, before actually making the sound.

This way you should get more emotion out of your character rather than relying on the words and tone of voice to carry the whole load.

I haven't done enough voice and facial animation to add experience to the discussion, but that's what I've heard/read from more experienced animators.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

:shock: !!!WOW!!! :shock:
That's GREAT! Thanks alot!

CrAzY Dan
Toontoonz

Post by Toontoonz »

The advice given by myles is good advice.
Recording the voice first sets up all the timing and pacing of the animation.
(And write a good script first - so you don´t have to go back and do the sound over and over...)

If you notice a lot of Japanese animation (Pokemon, etc.) is just a face with no emotion, no facial or body movement, just a mouth lipsyncing the script.
(Reminds me of the old Clutch Cargo comics where they superimposed a real actor´s mouth talking the dialog over the face of the cartoon characters).
It all comes down to the style of and economics of doing the animation.
One can create a nice animation style without any facial or body animation.
However, adding facial and body animation gives the animation a bit more lifelike style.
And putting in facial and body movements means more work, more time...more costs. I am sure that is the main reason the Pokemon/ a lot of the anime genre´ animation is done that way - crank it out and keep down the costs!
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

i'm LOVING all of this great advice!!
Keep it coming in!