Model sheets

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Model sheets

Post by Genete »

Not so long time ago someone posted a link to a webpage collection of character model sheets like THIS ONE. Can someone re-post the link?

For me that collection is a huge source of inspiration.

-G
dm

Post by dm »

don't know about the one you're looking for, but here's some:

http://www.animationmeat.com/modelsheet ... heets.html
realsnake

Post by realsnake »

Visit: My blog
Genete

Post by Genete »

@dm: yeah, that's what I was looking for. Thanks!
@realsnake: cool, nice ones too!

Thanks guys.
-G
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

A word of caution: these modelsheets have been done for completely hand-drawn animation. They're not really suited for use in AS. They will, of course, give you some hints about proportions and construction.
dm

Post by dm »

here's another place:

http://klangley.blogspot.com/
DK

Post by DK »

Rotoscoping hand drawn animation in AS is quite easy to do, fun and can teach you a lot. Check out Wolf E Wolf test animation on the old AS Gallery.

http://lostmarble.com/moho/gallery/tests.shtml

I rotoscoped it in Moho using a snippet of video from the Road Runners Wile E Cyote character. No bones just point manipulation. Back then there was no layer animation in Moho which made things a little tricky but nowdays Rotoscoping hand drawn animation in AS should be a breeze.

Cheers
D.K
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

winknotes

Post by winknotes »

slowtiger wrote:A word of caution: these modelsheets have been done for completely hand-drawn animation. They're not really suited for use in AS. They will, of course, give you some hints about proportions and construction.
I'm just starting out in animation and right now it's for my own amusement and something to work on with the kids. However, being the way I am.....I want to do it right and coming to terms with my workflow is what I'm working on now in addition to learning ASP.

So with regards to sketches, what is the conventional wisdom for animators using ASP? This may be a simplistic question and show my naivete, but that's where I am right now.

I'd appreciate any input you could offer.

Thanks,
Steve Winkler
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

That's not a question with a simple answer. I could say "it's easy to decide which way to go after you've had several years of experience in the field", but that's much too depressive.

The trick is to just do it. No matter wether you take evening courses and have a strict curriculum, or just play around with it: the more you do it, the better you will become.

I don't know you background, so this advice is more in general:
- draw a lot. Even if you say you can't, drawing on paper is the best foundation for everything in animation.
- get yourself a book, like Tony White's "How to Make Animated Films: Tony White's Masterclass on the Traditional Principles of Animation". This will give you an idea of established techniques and workflows which can be used in nearly any style.
- make yourself comfortable with the idea of doing things more than once. Quite often some rigging will not work as expected when you start animating. The best solution often is to erase and start from scratch. Be prepared for that, keep files in different stages stored.
- watch animation in several styles, traditional hand drawn, cut-out, experimental. Try to figure out how it was done, try to do something similar in AS.
winknotes

Post by winknotes »

slowtiger wrote:That's not a question with a simple answer. I could say "it's easy to decide which way to go after you've had several years of experience in the field", but that's much too depressive.

The trick is to just do it. No matter wether you take evening courses and have a strict curriculum, or just play around with it: the more you do it, the better you will become.

I don't know you background, so this advice is more in general:
- draw a lot. Even if you say you can't, drawing on paper is the best foundation for everything in animation.
- get yourself a book, like Tony White's "How to Make Animated Films: Tony White's Masterclass on the Traditional Principles of Animation". This will give you an idea of established techniques and workflows which can be used in nearly any style.
- make yourself comfortable with the idea of doing things more than once. Quite often some rigging will not work as expected when you start animating. The best solution often is to erase and start from scratch. Be prepared for that, keep files in different stages stored.
- watch animation in several styles, traditional hand drawn, cut-out, experimental. Try to figure out how it was done, try to do something similar in AS.
Fantastic advise and I thank you for your response.

As for my background it's actually in music composition. I was a freelance musician for a number of years and was a music theory/composition major and still compose music (mostly orchestral in nature). So I'm definitely "comfortable" with starting over again on things.

Also, like in music, figuring out what style I'm comfortable with is a bit of a process. As a musician I think it pays to be proficient in several styles, but certainly one emerges as the most natural. I suspect it's the same with animation too.

I'll also check out that book and buy a bigger sketch pad.

thanks again slowtiger

Steve Winkler