Bone Locking is FANTASTIC! Don't be afraid of it!

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

man i gotta try me some bone locking.

Vern: looks good.

Selgin: Nice one re: bigger bones to lock.

I've just never used bone locking. Always done it manually. Bit of a flippen mission to key frame every single little frame. What I normally do is make another stationary layer and put a little circle there for position reference, and move each bone (well in this case a foot bone) to the circle for each frame. Becomes a bit of a drag.

Will give bone locking another look. No clue how it works but I guess its in the manual so there's no excuse!
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Hi guys, at office we have made some fantastic discoveries about lock bone mysteries. I can't post examples or explain it right now, but I think we finally tamed them.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Many Many Thanks Selgin. But Please when you post, keep your idea open for people having 6.2.
Lebostein

Re:

Post by Lebostein »

selgin wrote:Hi guys, at office we have made some fantastic discoveries about lock bone mysteries. I can't post examples or explain it right now, but I think we finally tamed them.
And? All lock and unlock mysteries solved? I am very interested in a description for using the locking/unlocking feature. Now 2015 the locking and unlocking of bones seems buggy (or very hard/complex/awkward to use) as 2010... The official manual losing not a single word about it (!!).... The only thing I found is that old tutorial (from 2008) with that armless Frank, but this tutorial deals with locking of bones outside the timeline only.

My main question is: How I unlock bones during an animation without popping/slipping? I have experimented with all possibilities, without success. I hoped freezing of all bones one frame before unlocking helps, but it did not work...

Try this:
1. open the tutorial 3.2 from the ressources (/Resources/Support/Tutorials/3 - Bones/Tutorial 3.2.moho)
2. select the bone layer of Frank (frame 0 should be selected)
3. select the 2 foot bones and lock them
4. go to frame 12 and move the head bone a little bit down, so the knees moving outward
5. go to frame 18 and freeze all bones (to make the position save) with "Animation/Freeze" Pose in the menu
6. go to frame 24 and unlock one of the foot bones - and cry :cry: the foot is snapping down
funksmaname

Re: Bone Locking is FANTASTIC! Don't be afraid of it!

Post by funksmaname »

Bone locking isn't really necessary now that we have target bones... these work much better than locking!

This might help (try around 6:45):
Lebostein

Re: Bone Locking is FANTASTIC! Don't be afraid of it!

Post by Lebostein »

OK, I found it out. It took me about 8 hours to solve the puzzle. There are three rules that must be followed consistently:

1. Be sure that "Auto-assist with bone locking keyframes" in preferences is selected
2. For selecting bones to lock or unlock them use the bone selecting tool necessarily. All other tools generate a keyframe for the selected bone that will destroy the animation after locking/unlocking.
3. To unlock bones, don't use the frame of your last animation changes (1). Go to the next frame (2) and unlock the bone or a group of bones (3). Don't use this unlock frame for other things.

That sounds simple but not necessarily intuitive. It would be useful to find these hints in the manual.

A very excessive usage of locking and unlocking of bones you find in this (very cool) resource example:
\Smith Micro\Anime Studio\Resources\Support\Library\Characters\Partners\Victor Paredes\Afraid of balls.anme
This example helps me to find out how locking and unlocking works without side effects.

@funksmaname: Thanks, I will see this later at evening. But I am using the Debut version. I think this is a Pro feature.