Masking tutorial series

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Masking tutorial series

Post by synthsin75 »

Here is my basic masking video tutorial.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmnjt9iujdm
It's a 60MB zip file, including the 30 min. AVI and the two .anme files I use.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tnxbhgcmwky
Here's a smaller version, 36MB.

Here's a link to the hosted video! http://www.viddler.com/explore/synthsin75/videos/1/
(In the upper right corner is the fullscreen toggle)

And here are the .anme files. http://www.mediafire.com/?va39xya1xj9

Intermediate masking tutorial.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jhrmdzhnfpy
This one's only 15 min.

And the hosted video: http://www.viddler.com/explore/synthsin75/videos/2/

http://www.mediafire.com/?l0oio1itj0b
And the .anme files.
Last edited by synthsin75 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Good work synthsin75!
I'll review it as soon as I have time.
Cheers!
-G
DK

Post by DK »

Hi systhsin75.

I downloaded the tutorial and have gotten about halfway through. So far it's excellent and very thorough. Great work.

If masking confounds you download this tutorial!!!!

Cheers
D.
basarat

Post by basarat »

Great work thanks .... The quality seems awesome to me :) Never wondered how masking was done..... and now never will !
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Never wondered how masking was done..... and now never will !
Wow, I don't think any teacher could ask for a better response. But believe me, there is much more to be learned. My intermediate tutorial has a lot of masking complexity to cover.

I'm glad everyone is finding it so useful. Please let me know if the video has any playback glitches, and I will upload another one. (I just checked this, and it appears my usual media player doesn't always like the codec I used :roll: )

I urge anyone who doesn't already know masking to setup the masking in the (wip) file, after watching the video. You'll need a solid handle on this bit to follow the next tutorial.

Keep the comments coming (good and bad). This tutorial was easier to put together than I had thought, so you can expect more topics after I get through my masking series.

:wink:
DK

Post by DK »

My only comment would be possibly to do look at doing these tutorials with Wink or some sort of screen capture program that saves out to smaller swf's? That said, however, my experience with most swf capture software is that the end files still are quite large, ( that could be due to my lack of settings knowledge) and also not guaranteed to play on all systems. Download size may be a bit of a drawback for some limited access users, but then again, being free, no-one should really complain at any download size.

Keep up the great work!
D.K
dsaenz825

Post by dsaenz825 »

Can you put the vid on youtube? Because for some reason my computer does not let me download this file.
I love comments for they help me improve on my weaknesses.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hey Synthsin great tute, I fink I understand. :shock:
I might suggest one little thing regarding the audio.If you ran it through a gate you could cut some of the noise between your voice overs, maybe also an eq or limiting first could help cut the background sound. 8)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Sorry Synth, I've been real busy the last couple days. Haven't had a chance to download the vids yet.

What do you guys think of youtube for this type of thing? One of my suggestions was to host on youtube because... well... it's free, and so easy to access.

Would this work in that format?

-vern
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Well done synthsin and thank you!! :D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

DK wrote:My only comment would be possibly to do look at doing these tutorials with Wink or some sort of screen capture program that saves out to smaller swf's?
Yeah, I used CamStudio recommended by Selgin (thanks Selgin!). It can convert its output to swf, but like you, the result wasn't much (if any) smaller. :roll:

DK wrote:Download size may be a bit of a drawback for some limited access users, but then again, being free, no-one should really complain at any download size.
I know, :cry: but Darthfurby's tutorial was about twice the size, so I figured I could get away with it. ( Of all the nerve, uh? :wink: )

Yeah Chucky, I had the a/c going. I'm not ready sure how to go about reducing the noise. :? I had thought about turning up the gain on the audio, but that probably would have made it worse. (I'm not really learned on post production yet. :oops: )

The only thing I don't like about YouTube is that each vid can only be 10 min. long. Also I worry about the quality. Personally, I prefer to download a file. I so hate trying to watch a YouTube video only to have it stop to buffer every half minute. My internet connection isn't always stable, so depending on the day, trying to watch YouTube is pointless. (I don't get around to seeing half the work posted there)
On the other hand, given enough time, I can usually download a file of just about any size.

That said, I'll look into posting it on YouTube (no promises).

I can also see about reducing the file size myself. I have already reduced it by 10MB. Let me know what people would consider a 'reasonable download' size.

:wink:
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I'm trying to see if I can do something about the file size. I watched the video. Just excellent.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Thanks Darth.

I found a video hosting site that doesn't have a length limit. It's encoding now. I just hated the idea of chopping it up. We'll see how that works out as soon as it's ready.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I put a link to the hosted video in the first post. Hope that makes everyone happy. :wink:
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

synthsin75 wrote:Yeah, I used CamStudio recommended by Selgin (thanks Selgin!).
:oops:

I'm just working in a project with very complex masking. my head is boiling. here is an example (right click, save as).
I have no time right now to watch the tutorial, but I will soon.

thanks.