Tutorial web site in production...

Have you come up with a good Moho trick? Need help solving an animation problem? Come on in.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Tutorial web site in production...

Post by heyvern »

http://www.vernsworld.com/anime_studio/

Don't get too excited. It's just the rough layout. I am a web designer first... THEN an animator. ;) Basically I am killing two birds with one stone here, trying out "new" web design methods and build a web site for AS tutorials. I thought it might be a good idea to see how it works on other systems. i've tested with FF mac and win, and IE 6 win.

I've noticed lately some cool ways to maintain the layout of a web site while still keeping it functional and adjustable. I've set all sizes based on "em's" in the css. So if you increase or decrease the text size in the browser the whole page enlarges/reduces as a unit. I love the construction of it in the code. Very simple to update.

The "buttons" on the left are just preliminary. Still working on the categories and tutorials. Probably be mostly HTML with screen grabs and small animations. Possibly some flash.

-vern
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

it's looks really good, i like it, simple and nice.
it's exciting, i haven't see the official guide yet, but it is a fact your page will be much better.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Thanks Selgin.

I've been "playing" with it on my HUGE flat screen monitor. This design is great for tutorials because you can zoom the page to a HUGE size and all the images scale with the text. I plan to use this type of web design from now on. It works great on all the browsers too.

-vern
rplate

Post by rplate »

Looks great Vern, but..
I couldn't understand a word it said. :P :P :P

Looking forward to the updated ENGLISH version. :twisted: :twisted:
Bob P
PS: What web design program are you using?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

rplate wrote:Looks great Vern, but..
I couldn't understand a word it said. :P :P :P

Looking forward to the updated ENGLISH version. :twisted: :twisted:
Oh good grief. You sound like my moronic clients. I swear... I have clients who actually make a fuss about that. They can't look at layouts with fake copy, they can't look at rough comps.
rplate wrote: PS: What web design program are you using?
Not using one for this really. I was using Golive but it is an old version and I've been doing most of my coding "by hand" in Jedit since the wysiwyg display is useless anyway. I will use it to "rough" in the code to save time but basically I use a browser as my preview and just edit the stylesheets by hand.

CSS web design is so "clean" you don't really need much else after the layout is done. The raw document structure is pretty straight forward and easy to edit. I love not having to use tables anymore. Tables are a nightmare when reading the code.

That page is a nearly pixel perfect copy of my original photoshop layout.
Originally it was way too big and I wanted to reduce it 80%. It was a piece of cake to shrink it down later by adjusting the em size in the CSS. This "elastic" web design is fantastic. I love it. I used "graphic" text for the header in the original layout but changed it later to CSS.

-vern
fiziwig

Post by fiziwig »

Nice layout. Clean and easy to read. I can't wait for the content. :)

--gary
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I need some new web samples for my portfolio. This is a good place to start. I have fallen way behind on the techniques. Apparently if you don't design web sites using CSS you are a total loser and should just curl up and die. ;)

-vern
nanticokerailroad

tutorial web page

Post by nanticokerailroad »

Nice Vern, this is going to be a welcome addition to the softwares educational arsenal. It's a shame that the developers who bought the rights to this package haven't done something like this. You (heyvern) put in all the time and effort, and they collect all the profits!

Don't want to get on my high horse again about tutorials by this company but hey, I spent my money for the ASP version and think e-frontiers lack of a really good educational/tutorial package really stinks. I have a right to my opinion. Every other software package from toonboom to maya has Books, DVD's, extensive on-line tutorials, etc...... This isn't open source like Blender, this is a for profit corporation! Spend some money on education!!!!!

Keep up the good work Vern, we appreciate it!

They should give you profit sharing!!!!!
toonertime

vern erkint pooper

Post by toonertime »

I read the page and yern org inut
sornit zyggiffm, but
zzirnt phygirit!
rplate

Post by rplate »

heyvern wrote:I need some new web samples for my portfolio. This is a good place to start. I have fallen way behind on the techniques. Apparently if you don't design web sites using CSS you are a total loser and should just curl up and die. ;)

-vern
I typed in "CSS" and found all kinds of tutorial references. Maybe this will help.
PS: I put your page into a translator and it said, "WHAT, are you talking about, Vern?" :twisted:
EDIT:
. This is the WIDGIT of the CSS cheat sheet.
How about this site?
Bob P
magicwand

Post by magicwand »

Hi Vern,

Like the design simple, functional, user friendly. but what i love the most is the scaling of images with text, saw the code a simple solution of assigning em units to achieve image scaling :D .
what i would like to know is the calculation you used to convert px to em's as px to em's doesn't always seem to be a precise conversion.
oferhod

Post by oferhod »

Looks like a great & useful site.
Something I'd love to add to my favorit and iGoogle pages.

-----
BTW
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet Lorem ipsum dolor adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat
I already know that
----
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

magicwand wrote:Hi Vern,

Like the design simple, functional, user friendly. but what i love the most is the scaling of images with text, saw the code a simple solution of assigning em units to achieve image scaling :D .
what i would like to know is the calculation you used to convert px to em's as px to em's doesn't always seem to be a precise conversion.
Thank you very much! That is my goal... simple, functional.

Here are the links:

This is the original article I found on "elastic" design:

http://jontangerine.com/log/2007/09/the ... s-with-css

This is sweet! A little javascript page with settings to change the base pixel size. Read the article to understand why this is needed.

http://riddle.pl/emcalc/

-vern
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Looks great ;)

I like the guy on the bike. Particles? Interesting...

Lupsum Dorum indeed.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

HOLY FREAKING COW!!!

Hold the CTRL key and use the scroll wheel on your mouse!!!!!! The page enlarges and shrinks!!!

That's it man. This is the holy grail of web design for me. No looking back.

-vern