Character Model WIP

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Dr. Nick

Character Model WIP

Post by Dr. Nick »

Here's a little Work In Progress. I'm hoping to turn this guy into a little web anim for X-Mas. Since this is a WIP ~~ any feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Dr. Nick
----
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."

-Confucius
human

Post by human »

Well this is nice but then you always do nice work.

Question: I thought people around here are afraid that gradients won't properly animate. Does that scare you?
Dr. Nick

Post by Dr. Nick »

Thanks.

I saw some post along the lines you mention, human, that folks are concerned about the way gradients animate. I guess it really depends on the range of motion you put your character or object through.

I'd like to know more specifically what the concerns are though, so if anyone has anything to add to this discussion please do.

In this case I'm not overly concerned because this isn't a commissioned piece and (at the moment anyway) I'm not intending to market it . So it will actually be interesting to see exactly what issues do come up when I go to animate the model and the consequences aren't severe if it is less than pleasing.

As a still, though, it seems to me the gradients definitely provide an easy alternative to two-tone cell-shading to give depth to the model.
Dr. Nick
----
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."

-Confucius
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I love the look -- great talent there.

My only concern is based on the very little I know so far about AS -- in drawing similar characters (including my own Santa :>) I've put the arms in bent positions only to regret it later. It seems to me if you are going to animate the arms and/or legs you don't want to pose them but put them straight as the bones will then bend them properly. Trying to "unbend" them using bones just doesn't seem to work out, AFAIK.

I know -- you may think "Well, I am not going to animate his arms" but with a great character like this I think it would be a mistake not to build him for anything you might want (you may well end up using him several years down the road). And, like I say, I may not know what the heck I'm talking about in terms of creating the limbs straight (I just know what hasn't worked for ME so far <g>)
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Looks good! That reminds me to get started on something christmas like. :wink:
human

Post by human »

Saint Nick,

You might want to check out the following

http://www.jibjab.com/sendables/230/Christmas
Dr. Nick

Post by Dr. Nick »

Spot on! I luv it.

Thanks for the laugh, human!

HEhehehehehe!
Dr. Nick
----

-Confucius
Dr. Nick

Post by Dr. Nick »

mkelly wrote:
My only concern is ... in drawing similar characters (including my own Santa :>) I've put the arms in bent positions only to regret it later.
Hmm. Thanks for the tip, mkelly. You're right I might've got myself into a bit of trouble. It get's even worse for me because it turns out that to create the arms I had to use a 'creative' overlay of AS objects which I was worried would cause me problems downstream. You're right about the bent arm pose though. Something closer to Da Vinci pose might've been a better approach to initialize this model. I might be able to do a reasonably quick fix ~~ just have to wait and see I guess.

But thanks for the feedback on the look 'n' feel ~~ that's a major concern for me in this model
Dr. Nick
----

-Confucius