D-Day Normandy :)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Agent

D-Day Normandy :)

Post by Agent »

here it is (NEW one)

Runtime: ~ 1 min

Divx video - 4,84 mb
http://dns.4ce.hu/anim/ddayfin.avi

Wmv video - 3,42 mb
http://dns.4ce.hu/anim/ddayfin.wmv

Flashvideo - 4,72 (low-quallity)
http://dns.4ce.hu/anim/flvplayer.swf?file=ddayfin.flv
Last edited by Agent on Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I think South Park is admirable and trash at the same time. First, it's very inspiring to know that you can get across virtually any emotion through "rough" animation, without a lot of drawing skill. It's also admirable with some of the topics they take on. I also think it's trash because of some of the topics they take on. :-)

Anyway, may I ask how you textured the clothes/helmets?
Agent

Post by Agent »

First of all the it won't be a rough animation, and there won't be any humor. I just meant the drawing tehcniq will be similar to south park cut out style. :)
Anyway i just used splotchy effect when i filled in the layers.
Agent

Post by Agent »

download video from my 1st post
typo

Post by typo »

The violence! Looks really good, even though the video was encoded too well (I know, I know, file size is important). The only thing I wish was improved (and it's very early, so it's probably on your list) is the walking forward animation. I know damn well how South Park animates (big fan) but they've improved their animation techniques over the years (barely). If there was more 'animation' when they walked forward, instead of hobbling like they do, it would help the viewer be immersed into the scene better.
Agent

Post by Agent »

thanks
i think its enough for a walking forward, it would be too difficult to do another :). There will be side view and it may wont look such a weird. But watch a newer episode and the walking forward animation is the same, or i dont know what u mean :).
typo

Post by typo »

It's a limitation of the art style. It's good, nevertheless.
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I think it's starting to look pretty good, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
agentdurden

Re: D-Day Normandy :)

Post by agentdurden »

hey man just saw the preview it is looking GREAT. even though i hate southpark and its lame animation. but yours is turning out to look great. ppl got to understand that animation should have some sort of a artform to it. and not have straight perfect perportion charactors. it will look off and ppl will be put off by it.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Looking good although the camera was a bit TOO shaky for my taste. And better sound effects would be nice.

You've got the SP style down great but what do you want to achieve? Commercial distribution doesn't seem possible, I'm not sure if a drawing style can be copyrighted but it could give you some trouble later on. And don't you think you could take the style and develop it into something of your own? I'm thinking of the animation in Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" where they show the rise of the KKK in a short cartoon. People have confused it with SP but the style is quite different. They've taken the minimal animation and designed the characters with outlines and a bit more cartoony. If you haven't seen it I'd suggest you watch it, you might get some inspiration from it.

Good luck with your project! Is that soldier named Kenny? They killed him!

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Agent

Post by Agent »

thanks for the instructive comments :)

nobudget: better sound effects? dude im not working in a stuido so thats all i can do. perhaps a bit more :D I havent seen that cartoon. Where could i download or watch it? I havent named the soldiers yet but if you really want he could be Kenny :).
When do u feel it too shaky? I dont think so 'cos a warfilm usually filmed by a handhold camera and it gives a feeling that you are there even if it's a cartoon :P.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Shaky is good but maybe a bit more subtle. Your call... As long as you don't use it commercially you can buy dirt cheap sound effects CD's at most record stores. With some searching you might even find some decent effects online. Or just take a camera/minidisc/whatever with a decent mic and travel out of your comfortable home and record some ambient sound...outside...in real life...the HORROR!

A couple of weeks ago I saw a torrent file to download that cartoon but didn't...sorry... But here are some screenshots:
http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/bowlingf ... artoon.htm
Do not read too much of the text inbetween though, it's an anti-michael moore site that is about as subtle as the cartoon itself, only they are serious and not tongue-in-cheek like the cartoon. Never trust a website with the word "truth" in the domain name, right-wing or left-wing :)

This is the creators' website, no video but some vidcaps:
http://www.flickerlab.com/portfolio/index.html

Oh yeah...respect ma authoriteeey!

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
cribble

Post by cribble »

Agent wrote: better sound effects? dude im not working in a stuido so thats all i can do.
Want some sound effects eh?

FindSound

That'll sort you out.
--Scott
cribble.net
Agent

Post by Agent »

thanks but i know it. ive seen it from a previous post.
Do u know another? :)
cribble

Post by cribble »

Not Really. All i can suggest is that you get hold of some sort of MIDI sequencing program (Like Cubase SX... but then again cubase aint cheap) and get a whole load of soundfonts which i sure you can find somewhere on the internet.
--Scott
cribble.net