New char

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

darkmatter

New char

Post by darkmatter »

Well, now that I learnt the basics of the program, I'm starting to make my own animation style... I'm really not a good drawer, so I made something very simple and cartoon like. I really like the result, but I'm really open to suggestions.

I really want your opinion :wink:
Dr. Nick

Post by Dr. Nick »

IMHO it really doesn't matter whether you can or can't draw to make cartoons. Some of us may be >ahem< age advantaged >ahem< enough to remember such classics as "Rocky and Bullwinkle". 'Didn't exactly look like it was drawn by Leonardo Da Vinci.

I think what really matters in drawing toons is getting into a consistent style, and drawing your characters consitently. Even drawing them constently bad can work as long as your character has some redeeming qualities. The other thing that will make a character stand out is some attention to details. What features do you want to accent? What effects are you trying to create?

Your character reminds me kind of like the south park guys. If that's the effect you're going for, then cool. That can work. Those guys succeed because of the blend of simplistic design, the effect of the cutout style animation and the outrageous, pushy, over-the-top humor that the creators come up with. If you can strike the right chord with folks ~~ leave them wanting to see more of your content, then you're creating art...
Dr. Nick
----
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."

-Confucius
darkmatter

Post by darkmatter »

Dr. Nick wrote:IMHO it really doesn't matter whether you can or can't draw to make cartoons. Some of us may be >ahem< age advantaged >ahem< enough to remember such classics as "Rocky and Bullwinkle". 'Didn't exactly look like it was drawn by Leonardo Da Vinci.

I think what really matters in drawing toons is getting into a consistent style, and drawing your characters consitently. Even drawing them constently bad can work as long as your character has some redeeming qualities. The other thing that will make a character stand out is some attention to details. What features do you want to accent? What effects are you trying to create?

Your character reminds me kind of like the south park guys. If that's the effect you're going for, then cool. That can work. Those guys succeed because of the blend of simplistic design, the effect of the cutout style animation and the outrageous, pushy, over-the-top humor that the creators come up with. If you can strike the right chord with folks ~~ leave them wanting to see more of your content, then you're creating art...
Well, what I really wanted was to my chars to look... funny... Because that will be what my animations will be all about, make people laugh =)

Yes, south park style is really an inspiration to me, but I don't want a south park clone... I'm trying to make something mine...
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I think he is a very cute little guy! The expressions and movement, along with the dialogue, (I think) determine whether he is funny or not.

It's a great start and I really like it. Drawing cartoon characters is probably like everything else, the more you do of it, the bettter you become! If I had drawn him, I would be very happy with him.

If you find that your technique advances, you can always make subtle changes to him. Most cartoon characters go through a metamorphosis during their life-span, and evolve into the final toons we all love!

Well done and best wishes
darkmatter

Post by darkmatter »

JimmyC wrote:I think he is a very cute little guy! The expressions and movement, along with the dialogue, (I think) determine whether he is funny or not.

It's a great start and I really like it. Drawing cartoon characters is probably like everything else, the more you do of it, the bettter you become! If I had drawn him, I would be very happy with him.

If you find that your technique advances, you can always make subtle changes to him. Most cartoon characters go through a metamorphosis during their life-span, and evolve into the final toons we all love!

Well done and best wishes
Thanks =) I'm glad you like it.