HAPPY LAND update

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Hmm... you've come up with several suitable, appealing backgrounds. I guess it's just a matter of finding one that makes you tick. But maybe all this deciding has locked your brain into compare and contrast mode. That state of mind might preclude an emotional response of satisfaction. Like imagine looking for a life partner or friends from a stance of compare and contrast. How could you ever just feel what you feel? I think the first step must be to firmly establish what feels right to you. Then you can figure out if you need to tweak it in a few places so that heavy doesn't blend into the background, it appeals to children, etc.

[edit] I get the feeling that you already have a favorite, but you're trying to talk yourself out of it?

Now, on to the compare and contrast! ;)

I like the one with the flowery hills. It makes you want to go there.

Your alien happy land had a beautiful purple atmospheric effect on the alien world. Was that done with overlapping shapes of different opacity? That technique might work here to give depth to the sky without using the gradient tool.

I've been looking at Futurama as a guide for my backgrounds and I notice that they maintain a cartoon-y look by using gradients here and there in a subtle way so you can't discern a difference from the non-gradient elements unless you're looking for it. But it's just enough so that the occasional dramatic gradient and the 3-d effects don't look out of place. But that's a pretty different style and might not be relevant here... :D
Last edited by lwaxana on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonym

Post by tonym »

So far, I think the "dead simple" gray line works best.

To my eyes, your hill-tree-sky backgrounds have a tendency to diminish the power of the characters. The characters seem to be most effective when not competing for my attention with the background, and become less interesting as the backgrounds become more elaborate.

If you want to keep experimenting, perhaps try different wallpaper-like patterns for a background--lines and polka dots; hearts; whatever--and forget trees and hills and clouds for a while.
tonym

Post by tonym »

Mikdog wrote:I know it runs the risk of being too cold and abstract which may not work well with kids, but at least its simple and clear.[/img]
The simple gray line does not appear cold and abstract to me. The line reminds me of how a child will draw a line on a white sheet of paper, and will then draw things on top of the line. Very cute.

I can imagine the gray line zig-zagging to create gigantic stairs, and I can see in my mind the yellow guy hopping happily from step to step.

The gray line could go up and down like a roller coaster, and the yellow guy race across it on a sled or wagon.

The gray line could be a lot of fun.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I thought of an idea to combine the wire and regular happy land. I don't know if you'd want me to post it because I vector traced some of your drawings to make it. ?
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hi. Perhaps someone with a little experience could help me. I've been approached by a UK distributor for a 52-part 5-minute series. In the agreement he says 1-year exclusive rights. Seems a little long. Is this normal? And 35%? Wondering if I should just carry on by myself with these.
Letter of Authorisation

Between

(me)

(hereafter: Licensor)

And

xxx

Licensor hereby grants xxx the exclusive rights to represent “Happyland” worldwide for a period of 1 year from signing the letter.

It is understood that should xxx be successful, xxx will be entitled to thirty five percent (35%) of any and all monies received by the Licensor including all up-front sales fees paid to the Licensor and all future monies associated with the sale.

Licensor………………………… xxx................

Date:……………………………. Date:………………………………
Signature:………………………. Signature:…………………………
tonym

Post by tonym »

This could be a huge break for you, so congratulations.

Does the contract mean that you are signing away 35% of all future profits, into eternity? Because if that's what it means, that is bad. I doubt any other company would ever invest in Happyland if they knew you had signed away 35% of the profits beforehand to this company. So hopefully it doesn't mean that.

1-year exclusive rights doesn't scare me. You can always renegotiate after a year, and a year goes by pretty fast.

I'm not sure about the 35% being high or not. If you are keeping the other 65%, and the company is doing a lot to help you make money, it seems worth it.

Has the company offered you a lot of money up front? That would be a good sign.

Was that the ENTIRE contract? If so...that is NOT a good sign.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

35% for eternity I guess.

I dunno, the 'exclusive' part scares me. Hopefully slowtiger or greykid could chip in as I imagine they'd have had some experience with this. I've never met this guy before, he's from the UK, he knows an animation lecturer buddy of mine, his website doesn't seem to have any animation properties, mainly documentaries I've never heard of that the 'company' has distributed.

I've quoted R20,000.00 / 5 minute episode, that's about $2,666.00 / episode (52 episodes)

I'd make some good bucks (and be working hard) but I'm kind of getting a vibe that I may be having the wool pulled over my eyes, though I thought I'd better just check in case it really is a good deal.

[EDIT] - He's sent me this agreement to 'get the ball rolling' in his own words.

[EDIT 2] - thanks Iwaxana for the offer to post your example not to worry I've got quite a bit of material now to think about I'm letting it simmer and I'm continuing with another short. (I'm liking the grey line / white background. That's how I picture it in my mind. Still I'll give it some thought).

[EDIT 3] - Tonym > I like that idea of using the line for steps and slopes, thanks. Could open up a whole bunch of stuff there.

I think I'm running the risk of becoming too self-indulgent here so I'm going to make some more episodes. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on the agreement issue.
Last edited by Mikdog on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aleXean

Post by aleXean »

Honestly it's such basic characters that the most basic backgrounds would work. I enjoy the test titled "3" I think that works quite well, it's nothing to oogle over but at the same time is there to get the point across of the setting.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

[image removed]

I know you have a million ideas already. Just thought I'd show you what I mean about combining the wire and regular Happy Land. This way you could use the plain background with just a wire most of the time, but if the story calls for a more specific setting, you can put it in the background on a second wire. Kay, I'll get out of your hair now. :D

And congrats on getting that offer. Hopefully someone will share more insights as to whether it's a good one or not. :)
Last edited by lwaxana on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
knunk

Post by knunk »

Hey mate. If you want me to check him out email me his name. lots of cool people in the uk but a couple of dodgy fellows. Sorry we've not been in touch. Lots going on in FK land. Can't spill yet:)

J
tonym

Post by tonym »

Mikdog wrote:35% for eternity I guess.
Don't sign that crummy contract. Write your own contract to get the ball rolling.

To me, it doesn't sound like the guy is in any position to make Happyland popular. But maybe he knows important people? Or not.

The money must be tempting, though. If his plan is to release free shorts on the internet and pay you over $100,000 once the ad revenue starts rolling in, the guy might be delusional.

On the other hand, if he is willing to pay you mega-bucks up front, he's obviously a man of vision and you should try your best to reach an accord.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

FK > Thank you PM sent.

Iwaxana > Thanks I like that! Thing is as cool as multiplane is I think it gets distracting after a while with lots of camera moves. For slow zooms and a steady pan in one direction it works pretty well but when it gets implemented in like a Super Mario game I ultimately find it distracting. I think the wire will be cool, perhaps with some variations in the line as tonym suggested. I'm making some more shorts then I'll decide later.

tonym > Yep I think that's a good idea. He's talking to a network that wants culturally diverse animation material for the pre-school market and wants to get in at an early stage of development so I think he's got things set up.
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

I wasn't actually thinking of multiplane, but I can see why it would give that impression. And yeah, if you're doing La Linea type line variations, then it would definitely look weird to have a second line creating a sense of depth. :)
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Ah ok, without a multiplane that could look pretty nice. I'm so very tempted to just keep the grey line and nothing else because then there's no question as to what the focus of the shot is. I'm a minimalist at heart I think. Anyway I'll put that on the backburner in my brain. Thanks for the graphic Iwaxana.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

A little clip of 4 Happy Land shorts strung together (no sound / background):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5L84FKEP00

Peace,

Mike