Restarting an old project "Don empinado"

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Restarting an old project "Don empinado"

Post by Genete »

Hi folks!
In thread I showed you my first progresses on animation for a particular story based on a hand drawn small comic done by a 7 years old child.

I abandoned the very complex setup of this character and started to work with a single layer. Then I got a pain on my arse when discovered the bug "delete a bone and then crash"

Now I have given a rest to scripting activity and want to come back to FINISH! (aaaarrghh I want to finish it!!!!) that old project.

I have created a simple setup for the same character. In this case everything shape is in one layer.
I've used several techniques at the same time:
1) Shape order based on bones positions, using an script.
2) Actions for lip movements. All actions are done only with point motion.
3) Normal translation and scale bones to achieve the translation of the limbs and the deformation of the nose, lips and eyes. I plan to record those scale-translate values of bones into its corresponding actions for every +/-3/4 front, back, left and right positions. The bone structure is ready for that.

Color scheme is not the final one because I want to use styles.
Once the puppet is finished I want to make other new character just changing the shapes and the actions for points and modifying a little the skeleton. It could be done at frame 1. I need it for the story.

I would make a turn cutout style animation and a smooth arms, legs mouth and expressions animation. Let's say that from front to 3/4 there would not be tweening. If there is it would be minimum.

I hope you like it,

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/DE/DE-setup21.anme
http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/DE/DE-setup21.swf
http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/DE/sor ... _bones.lua (the needed embedded script to make shape sort based on bones)

-G

PS: I have realized that there is a bad composition of the arm in the -3/4 view. It is my mistake, not the script. also the legs are not properly ordered in all stages.

PS2: Ah! and the mouth is divide into two halves. Like the technique used in DK's scale-turn post.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Some progresses of the background of first scene.

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/DE/cocina.mov

I'm improvising about color scheme. I don't know if final result would match together but anyway I'm happy with the drawing results.

Comments and critics are welcome.

-G
Genete

Post by Genete »

Added a smoke bell.

-G
AlanPS

looking good

Post by AlanPS »

Genete- like the style. For someone who doesn't claim to be an artist you have some nice realism going on. My style is similar. I like trying to achieve realism with ASP.

I'm working on a fairly detailed kitchen scene myself. Here's an older shot. So far I have a fridge, a stove, some cabinets, and might add a sink. Will have a more current shot later.

Genete

Post by Genete »

Thank you very much for your kind words, Alan.
Believe me, I have a complex about my style and a feeling of inferiority compared with other artists who have such kind of imagination and inhibited style. I could be good to copy real things... I'm not good to imagine unreal things... It makes me sometimes very hard to complete a project. I make it so realistic and finally a never ending work...
Do I need to be more uninhibited and leave my realistic eye apart? What do you think? ... If yes, how do I...?

That's the pathetic tracing image I prepared to create the kitchen...

Nice kitchen yours, by the way.
-G
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Sorry Genete - I missed this post the first time around. I think the taps are excellent, and they can move too! Great drawing! What you are calling a 'smoke bell' would be called a 'cooker hood' (certainly in the UK) It looks great too.

I see you have the hot on the left, and cold to the right. I thought they had them the other way round in Spain? Maybe it's just the 'C' on the hot tap (caliente) and English people think it means Cold and they get roasted!!!! Going to the Costa Dorada in a week's time, never been before to that part of Spain.

AlanPS - your scene looks great too! Very like a well lit 3d scene. I must get on myself. The only thing I have made is the crappy little car in my avatar :) Onward and upward!
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Hi Genete! Nice to see you and the great looking kitchen, I like the light and shading you've made, looking really good. :D

hope you're allright / see you.
ulrik
Genete

Post by Genete »

A close up of the work in progress fireplace with a testing light coming form the future window.
-G

Genete

Post by Genete »

Thanks guys! Your words encourage me so much. I was a little sad watching my post going down to oblivion with no reply... For me is a big effort continue working on this project and not continuing making crazy things like scripts for shape sort by bones position... I have a undisciplined nature and get bored so quick when I don't see much progress. REALLY THANKS.

@JimmyC: The taps are correct. Cold is at the left and if we talk about water pipes, cold must be on top, although stupid Spanish plumbers insist in place them in the opposite place :wink:. Welcome to Spain. You'll enjoy Costa Dorada. If you visit Barcelona (sure) don't miss "Sagrada Familia" church. Its impressive. I live at Cadiz (the southern province of Spain) HERE are the best beaches... ((thanks for the 'cooker hood' expression too!))

@ulrik: I'm fine, thanks (you can forget the crying post above). Nice to see you.

Cheers! :D
-G
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I see you have a Halogen Hob on your cooker. Looks great. I like the light coming in from the right-hand side. It all still has a 'toony' look. It's not too detailed IMO. It looks like a very good illustration.

Thanks for the tip about the Sagrada Familia - I looked it up on the web, but hadn't realised that it was Gaudi. I had heard of him before of course. We may get there - I'm hoping to use the trains. We did that at Fuengerola, and the Spanish trains are great - very easy to buy a ticket from the machines, and very cheap too!

Best wishes
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I did my student thesis on Gaudi -- a LOOOOOONG time ago! I seem to remember that the major pillars of the Sagrada Familia rested on a tortoise and a turtle. It's really bizarre -- looks like the whole building is crawling towards you!

Check out the Parc Guell and the Casa Mila too if you are interested in his work. And if I remember, there is a small cellar in the Sagrada Familia which shows how he designed some of his buildings. Fascinating.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Genete

Post by Genete »

Some WIP:

JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Very cool indeed!

There is something funny about the perspective viewpoint. The cooker hood needs raised at the front I think, and the hob is too wide at the back. That's how it looks to me - I may be wrong, I'm no artist :)

Maybe someone else could advise you better. I still like it very much. A really good piece of work. Keep 'em coming!
Genete

Post by Genete »

You're right. Cooker hood and hob lateral lines are not parallel. I have to correct it. Thanks for your observation and I glad you like it.

I have a question. It seems that the character I have would not match the environment due it has a flat look and the environment is completely shaded... I think I'm in a dead end...

The character comes form an original idea from a 7 years old child... If I add so many shadows to the char then he would complain... Maybe I have to remove the realistic look and make the kitchen more flat and vibrant color, similar to the current style of the character...

Do you think now is better ? please need your feedback. BTW I have corrected the cooker hood and hod perspective.
Thanks
-G

JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

The cooker hood is on the top left (grey with 2 dials and 2 buttons green and red)

It seems to be sloping forward. The front edge needs raised slightly, and the perspective needs altered. The back should be slightly narrower. This is just my opinion.

I often see little characters (highly coloured) like this in advertisments in kitchens, and they are usually bugs or germs etc. who are living in the kitchen. He wouldn't look out of place if he really doesn't belong in the kitchen (if you see what I mean).

If he is just visiting the kitchen as a bug or alien, then he would look OK. It would make sense.

If it is supposed to be 'his' kitchen then he may look out of place depending on what the story is about. The character looks really cool. He would certainly stand out from the background, and be the focal point.

The kitchen is terrific. Keep it for another story and character if you think it wont work for now. You could keep a copy of it, and produce another character for later on who is more in the same style.

I like the character and the kitchen. Only you know what the story is about :)