Flintstones Parody

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jhbmw007

Flintstones Parody

Post by jhbmw007 »

Hey everybody,

Here's a peek at my latest endeavor, which is a spin-off of the Flintstones. I finally finished drawing the characters and rigging them so I just wanted to post this to maybe feel like I've done something lol. The poses are all wrong of course, "Fred" will be sitting on a chair, and the turtle will be the "motor" for a household item (you know the drill- it's Flintstones lol).

Now comes the tedious work of animating this- which is a super pain when you want to achieve a cartoony feel to them (lots of point motion going on here- ieeeahhh!)
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

Looks great! Can't wait to see it animated. ;) I enjoy the older cartoons so much better then some that they show now-a-days.
Dr. Nick

Post by Dr. Nick »

Now comes the tedious work of animating this- which is a super pain when you want to achieve a cartoony feel to them (lots of point motion going on here- ieeeahhh!)
The question is ~~ what kind of cartoony look'n'feel? To me the Flintstones sort of epitomizes the idea of "limited animation". Capturing that limited anim quality in AS seems like it might be hard. You could definitely make a distinction between the sort of "golden age" Warner Bros 'toons and the limited anim of the TV - generations. I wonder whether the quality of either style can be exactly duplicated in AS. I doubt it using point animation. But what would be interesting is to see what sort of quality you achieve using these characters in AS.

You have some great designs in any event. You've definitely captured the Hannah-Barbara style backgrounds very nicely ~~ I like the effect. Any tricks you use to achieve this? Did it take a long time?
Dr. Nick
----
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."

-Confucius
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

Well, I don't want to make it look like the same limited animation style of the original Flintstones- hence the change of design in characters. What I would like to do is held, funny poses with smooth inbetweening... inbetween. Have you ever seen John K's version of Yogi and Jetsons?-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NzZvlYJo65I

I'm sure it will have a noticeable Anime Studio look to it- which isn't a bad thing it's just people aren't used to it. I guess by cartoony I mean I want less of a cut-out style movement to it and something more organic. However I have less than a week to animate this so that will also hinder how much flare I can add to my skeleton rigged characters.

The background wasn't what I originally intended- I actually did want to recreate the original Flintstone background but my "art" skills are lacking lol. I tried using pastels and chalk in Corel Painter, but it came out to blended looking. So I took that image and did a "trace bitmap" in Flash (convert to vector).
Dr. Nick

Post by Dr. Nick »

Hahaha! Those Ren&Stimpy styled Yogi and Jetsons 'toons are fabulous :lol:

So, yeah ~~ I'm betting you'll come up with a nicely stylized Flintstones type 'toon in AS. Please post when you do ~~ I'm looking forward to seeing your result!
Dr. Nick
----
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."

-Confucius
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

Here's the Flinstones animation finished:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTGCXnLMEGc

I'm somewhat happy with the way it turned out- I think I could have made it look better if I had more time to work on it. I made all of this in 1 week. This will be a web-series, so more episodes to come.
Last edited by jhbmw007 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sour_jax

Post by sour_jax »

Nice!!!
The best things in life are free! Salvation, being the greatest!

Visit http://www.handbookforlife.com