Graduation project 'Marin'

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bakenius

Graduation project 'Marin'

Post by bakenius »

Hello guys!

I know I've been absent from this forum for quite some time, but I'm determent to get involved here again. Especially because I've landed into the animation phase of my graduation movie which I plan to do with Anime Studio Pro.

I've made some animation tests in which I have been going nuts with switch layers. I wonder what you guys think of it. :)

http://marin.hku.nl/animation/moho_test ... 07_004.mov

http://marin.hku.nl/animation/moho_test ... est_05.mov

The entire 6 minute film, if interested, you can view here:

http://marin.hku.nl/moving_storyboard/p ... tation.wmv

Thanks for all the golden information on this forum! I'll try to be more active from now on. :)
Phatthumb

awsome toon

Post by Phatthumb »

Thats really good. What did you use to draw the characters? Was it AS or another program? Also the music is cool. I think music is important in a toon
Phatthumb
patrick

Post by patrick »

That is good, and even the 6 minute rough draft has an entertaining enough story to hold interest until the end.
human

Post by human »

Your visual style is a delight--cool, crisp, graceful, with a smart palette of colors under deft control.

Your hero is terrifically appealing: handsome, stylish, expressive. His acting is fluid and touching.

I would have hated to have only seen the rough animatic without knowing how nicely he cleans up, when you get serious.

Makes a *damn* nice break from all the swords and monsters we're seeing these days.

Odd to see the Netherlands, though, where no one understands Flemish???
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Hi Bakenius! Great work, I love the style, very clean and nice soft colors, and very well drawn, they have a lot of personality and you make them express a lot of it!
In the 6 minute shoot you made good camera work, I love your scene changes..from inside to outside and so on...the focus changes...hmm, great!
congratulations
Genete

Post by Genete »

Clap! Clap! Clap!
I have no words in my poor vocabulary to say how much I liked all!
Congratulations. My sane envy is maximum.
-G
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

wow!
I love the style - really original.
The storyboard was great as well :) what did you use to create the animated storyboard? great story too! you should be very proud.

A+ from me.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Brilliant work! Based on the animation posted and the animatic it's going to be stunning when completed. I loved the story and the visual style.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Incredible. super, super, super. love it. great music too!
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

Based on your character tests and the entire animatic I think this is going to be a great short film. I can't wait to see it finished! It's nice to see some people really show what AS can do in the right hands.
bakenius

Post by bakenius »

Phatthumb: The characters are drawn completely with the vector tools in AS, the background and props in Photoshop. Luckely they blend rather seemless. :)

human How nice of you to notice my colourpalet. I'm very paticular about my colours in this movie because they'll help convey the story. At first the colours are very mute, but they grow more vibrant in the second half. Also see my colourscript: http://marin.hku.nl/moving_storyboard/f ... _01-02.jpg

funksmanane: The animated storyboard I created with Adobe After Effects, and some editting in Adobe Premiere.

I have some new animation to show you. The first 30 seconds of the fourth scene. Here it becomes more clear how I will mix the AE characters with my in photoshop created backgrounds. http://marin.hku.nl/animation/moho_test ... 01-08m.mov

Did I mention that I need to finish all the animation by myself on this before the end of August? :cry:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It helps me going![/url]
Jeronimus

Post by Jeronimus »

Wonderbaarlijk zou ik zeggen.

Beautiful, lovely! I was in love with your sketches - they have a certain charm -, before I'd even seen your coloured and animated versions, but boy, are they awesome. You have a great way of expressing emotions, your characters are well drawn and fun to look at, nice style, definitely. I always feel like it takes a great deal of talent to be able to have characters without real outlines and have it look good, but you succeed.

The story was quite nice (was wondering when the tube would finally crash down though), and I couldn't help but say "Ohh!" when the lights went on on the structure.

The scene 4 you just posted looks very very nice as well. The backgrounds and characters do indeed blend nicely. I hadn't noticed the maquettes in the trashcan on first viewing though, but it made me laugh anyhow.

Judging by the storyboard this will look great; the evolution of the colours is a very nice touch, a great way to subtily create a certain mood. I wouldn't really know how to call it, but the first part looks really depressing. I'm guessing this is what you're trying to achieve though.

I look forward to the total picture.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Hey the new scene is beautiful - you really have great characters, colours and camera moves!

If i may, i'd like to make an unworthy suggestion... i forget what its officially called when this happens, but i thought it seemed a little confusing when you flick from the main guy to the other waiting girl... because its a cut and they are sat in almost the same position it sort of jumps... i feel it might work better if when he looks over the camera does a fast pan (with motion blur) over to the girl.

Anywya i think its looking awesome - really great. :)
human

Post by human »

bakenius,

Please talk about your philosophy and your production planning regarding colors.

I'd like to know:

[1] whether you decide upon a limited number of palette slots for the entire production (for example, 64 allowable colors).

[2] how you balance realistic colors for the environment (buildings, sea, sky) and humans (skin, hair, clothes) with your use of color as a means to focus the eye and express motion.

[3] apparently you are treating color as a sort of virtual character in the story? (Which is just an extremely fancy way to ask whether you are deliberately infusing color into a grey world to express heightened feeling).
p6r

Post by p6r »

Wowwwwww...

I had a lot of pleasure to look at your animation until the end...

All is nice !!!

6R