Elsa the giraffe (WIP)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Genete

Post by Genete »

Well,
I'm wrapped by my own words but I cannot give up in try to make a complete head turn with this giraffe.
Please watch the WIP work to do a head turn.

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete//Other ... n-test.mov

it was only done by point motion so there is no interest in the anme file. It is like a preparation to make it a 3D rig using heyvern's script what converts two bones rotation into a 3D point rotation. I hope that the 3D rig improve the displacement velocity of the points. Now the left side of the face is a little slow compared to the right part. it makes the frames before the 3/4 view a little strange.

There are some missing shapes and there are no eyes and ears for the moment.
Just WIP. :wink:

Thanks
-G
muuvist

Post by muuvist »

Looking good Genete, keep tweaking you're nearly there.
Genete

Post by Genete »

muuvist wrote:Looking good Genete, keep tweaking you're nearly there.
Thanks.
HOYBOYS

Post by HOYBOYS »

Hey GENETE! ... Your work is truly AMAZING! ...It opens our eyes to what can be done ... Keep up the Great Work and All The Best from The HOYBOYS! :D :D
HAVE A LAUGH ON US! at www.hoyboys.net
Genete

Post by Genete »

Thanks HOYBOYS!.

Just some progress...
http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Other/ ... irafa9.mov
I am rigging the giraffe using heyvern's 3Dmesh script that he and me are developing in other thread. There are some parts of the head not rigged yet. What I wanted to show you is that every movement in the animation is done by bones (angle and scale) included the eyebrow and nose tricky movements.

Please see this thread for further information about the 3D rig.

C&C are welcome.
-G
Genete

Post by Genete »

capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

Genete wrote:More progresses ...

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Other/ ... rafa10.mov

-G
Hi, Genete.

It's looking better and better all the time.
Do you have the anme file? I'm really interested in exactly how many bones you are using right now... There are a lot of points to be handled in that giraffe's face... :-)
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
Genete

Post by Genete »

capricorn33 wrote:
Genete wrote:More progresses ...

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Other/ ... rafa10.mov

-G
Hi, Genete.

It's looking better and better all the time.
Do you have the anme file? I'm really interested in exactly how many bones you are using right now... There are a lot of points to be handled in that giraffe's face... :-)
169... Nothing compared with the 3D hand or some Vern's 2.5 rigs. All of them with names...

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Other/ ... afa10.anme

Tips:
1) This is a WIP file.
2) masterX and masterY are the main bone control of the model.
3) You can rotate and scale the nose holes by itself with "nb.pt" bone.
4) Eyebrows can be played with "nmr1.pt" and "nml1.pt" bones (rotate and scale)
5) You can funny play with any of the *.Rx or *.Ry bones (Rx only scale and Ry scale and angle)
6) in this file the mouth is in progress.

Making this kind of 3D rig is a little slow but the results worse it.
The most important thing is that I virtually can convert this giraffe into other same look like animal. Just tweak the bones at frame 0 with onionskin and that's all. :D :D :D :D :D

It is like true 3D modeling!!!!

Hope you enjoy it.
-G
capricorn33

Post by capricorn33 »

Genete wrote: It is like true 3D modeling!!!!

Yes it's truly wonderful, and the new script seems to be working really great! :-)

On the other hand - if I want to make "true" 3D modeling I wouldn't use AS in the first place, I would use some 3D program instead...

The interesting thing now will be to see how (and if) all clever members of this forum can implement this genious "3D rotation" script into their work and make good 2D use of it, on simpler models.

I can, for example, see how it would be a good complement on a "scale-rotated" face where it can be a little tricky to get the nose exactly right... or the hair...
The scale-rotataion technique being very simple gives you the intuitive "hands on feeling", more simple to squash and stretch, while this new 3D script solves the problem with perspective issues of bodyparts far off from the rotation centre...

God I wish had the time right now to try it out. :D
capricorn ( - just call me "cap")
children's tv pro, character animator
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

hmm...rotation doesn't work for me. maybe because i'm using moho 5.4 still...i can open the file alright, but the head doesn't rotate.
Genete

Post by Genete »

Mikdog wrote:hmm...rotation doesn't work for me. maybe because i'm using moho 5.4 still...i can open the file alright, but the head doesn't rotate.
You have to embed the script from this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=8618

Search the latest version from heyvern. I think it will be always in the first post.
-G
Genete

Post by Genete »

I'm sorry if it is a little repetitive ... but I wanted to show you the result of a complete 3d rig.
Here is the whole head rigged. There are a pair of points of the head rigged but without any shape. Also the mouth (lower jaw is not fixed. And a lot of holes should be filled with shapes. Every pose require a different shape order. I plan to convert this bone layer into a switch layer and then duplicate the vector layer with different shapes order. Just a switch keyframe and shapes are reordered properly. Later I want to use actions for lip sync and for other repetitive expressions. Rest of animation using bones and point motion of needed.

For this giraffe head I needed +200 bones; the horns only need two points per each because I am going to maintain it parallel to the projection plane all the time (12 more in total). The ears are already done and I'm thinking about how to perform the eyes... Probably 250 bones. Not so bad considering that the 3D hand had more or less that amount of bones.

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Other/ ... rafa12.mov
http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Other/ ... afa12.anme
(0.8 Mo)

Please use the anime file for reference only. Please be careful when open the file. If you remove any bone name it will not work. I have moved the helper bones just linking them to another one and move it far away. Now it is cleaner to see and work.
Beware that the selection drop down menu is very long... Maybe you cannot see all the bones.
You are free to modify the .Rx and R.y bones to whatever other position and see the results. You can virtually make another new animal face starting with this rig. But please don't use Elsa for your own works.
Cheers!