origami croc

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

muuvist

Post by muuvist »

jahnocli wrote:This forum is great!
I'll second that. It's a whole lot better than the missing manual.

Glad I could help. Good luck with your project.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

the croc looks great. and muuvist have made a great job with its movements. the changes of the color in the arm looks great. it's exiting to see how come to this forum very talented people.
the carpet looks so much fluid, firstly i thought that was made with genete's 3d technique.
Genete

Post by Genete »

selgin wrote:the croc looks great. and muuvist have made a great job with its movements. the changes of the color in the arm looks great. it's exiting to see how come to this forum very talented people.
the carpet looks so much fluid, firstly i thought that was made with genete's 3d technique.
In fact I think that this kind of design (the croc) is perfect for my 3D rig thechnique. Only rigging some points you can achieve a more realistic rotation of the piece of papers.
But muuvist tech is very very cool!! It can be also combined with other techniques and obtain very interesting results. The carpet rotation is like vern's 2.5D rig but wit scale bones instead of translate bones...
Nice!
human

Post by human »

I just thought of a croc gag for your toon...

When you watch the Gatorland movie, you see the big deal is trying to get the crocs to jump for the dead chickens... and one of the many absurdities is that they're not interested.

Well now suppose your croc was fed up and looking for a way to assert his rights within your fascist zoo. He'd send off a complaint to PETA (People for Ethical Treatment of Animals).

They would invite him to become a member, but he'd have to give up preying on poor chickens. So many of his conflicts might be the result of his decision to become a vegan...!
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Here's my story.

A zoo is losing money. Everywhere they look, the owners see debit and not credit. To turn the situation around, they decide to combine show business with keeping animals. One of the most successful ventures is "Crocodile Charades". This takes place in an arena with a central springboard, where the croc steps out into the centre for his charade. The first person in the crowd to guess correctly wins a prize.

But the animals are reluctant. The crocodile, for example, suffers from vertigo. They have to be forced to take part with electrical shock implants and weapons. On this particular occasion, the crowd is very poor at recognising quite a simple charade ("Jaws"...), and the crocodile feels threatened. Looking down into the depths of the arena, he sees the bones of former crocodiles who failed.

Luckily, he is able to turn the situation around and entertain the crowd. As he leaves to wild applause, we see a tear roll down his cheek.

I wanted to do this so it looked like a "pop-up book" type story, hence the "origami croc". I wanted it to be funny, but to show that sometimes people have to work very hard to amuse their public, and behind the scenes it is often very hard...

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
muuvist

Post by muuvist »

selgin wrote: the changes of the color in the arm looks great.
Thanks Selgin, the trouble is that the technique is focussed more on the end result rather than building a bulletproof model that can be used over and over again, because what I had to do was settle on the movement I liked and then go back and keyframe the colour changes and keyframe the thumb appearing and disappearing ( I guess you could do it with a switch layer).
And the carpet seems to have limited potential in terms of adapting it to other models, but anyway, that's why I posted it maybe somebody out there can find a new way to use this technique.
DK

Post by DK »

This looks cool but I'm not sure where to find the scale bone constraint
muuvist? Anyone?

D.K
DK

Post by DK »

It's ok. Found it :)
Wow...this is cool!!! Thanks for sharing Muuvist!!!

D.K
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Hi Jahnocli, this is a fantastic design and I think it's a perfect fit for Anime Studio. Very unique and professional. If this ever became a hit show you could make a killing on origami books.

Also thanks for sharing that technique muuvist, very very cool. I'm always looking for cool tricks like this.
Touched

Post by Touched »

muuvist wrote:the trouble is that the technique is focussed more on the end result rather than building a bulletproof model that can be used over and over again
That doesn't matter! I think anything that brings us closer to getting a job done well with some necessary tweaking is better than pursuing a perfect, all-purpose model that can do anything, but may be impossible to finish.
DK

Post by DK »

I'm totally amazed by how simple this technique is to rotate a set of eyes in a 2D sense. I've been playing with it for hours and it is amazing. Try doing this with manual point manipulation would be sooo time consuming. Thanks Muuvist!

D.K
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The sample walk looks fantastic! Great start.

Don't forget sound effects! You can emphasize his "Origami" nature by putting in those rustly paper folding... sounds.

I am a long time paper folder. Been into origami since I was very young. I have tons of books... and I have only seen a few crocodile origami models. This may be why you are having trouble finding reference photos! ;)

I have books for creating every creature under the sun from a single square sheet of paper. I folded a 3D cuckoo clock. the little bird even pops out.

I have instructions for creating a complete and totally accurate T-rex skeleton using modular origami and about 100 sheets of paper. I saw one of these completed... amazing.

I also know how to fold an incredibly accurate 3D origami Start Trek Enterprise. I learned how to fold this at a convention years ago. A single sheet of square foil backed paper... the guy who invented it is a nut. He wouldn't let us keep the instructions so I had to reverse engineer the one I folded and memorize it. It's been years... I wonder if I still remember how.

You could create an entire world based on origami! ;)

-vern
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

heyvern wrote:You could create an entire world based on origami!
That's my ultimate goal! Mwuhahahaha!!! I too have been interested in origami for a long while -- not with your intensity, by the sound of it, but I do think it is fascinating. I still have a tiny book design which I folded by Dave Brill -- a beautifully simple idea. Was also inspired by some "pop-up book" style TV animation spots by Studio AKA for BBC children's TV -- very clever and charming...

...and thanks everyone for the support. It means a lot to me. Will post up my croc's walk as soon as...

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
DK

Post by DK »

I just made a very simple head turn using this technique.
Looks like I can get a few different axis rotations using it too.

http://www.errolgray.com.au/headturn.anme

Cheers
D.K
Last edited by DK on Fri May 11, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I bet I could design an actual origami croc based on your drawing. It is very simple design.

You could put it on your desk and use it for reference. ;)

... good grief one of these origami nuts designed a piano player AND a piano both folded together from a single sheet of paper. You pulled a flap and his hands move over the key board. Took me hours to fold that thing. ;)

Another nut folded working nail clippers from a square piece of sheet metal using a pair of pliers.

Origami is the coolest thing when you're a kid. You don't need anything but a piece of paper and your hands. When I was a kid I would get a pack of colored paper and could fold an entire zoo...

Man... I miss it. I haven't folded in years. Thanks for the flash back!

-vern