some progress

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

human

some progress

Post by human »

Hey guys,

I know it's really sorta unfair for me to post my work if it isn't done in AS, because that's what this spot was intended for...

But considering that I'm already stretching myself beyond any paltry natural talent I was given, I don't have the luxury of using AS at this stage... the tools are too difficult and really not adequately documented enough for me to get it. Hope to move into AS as the project progresses.

My progress on this seems rather painful, but it is progress, so I want to share. Here's my model upgraded from a static, neutral expression to something that suggests the beginning of acting. (Also it adds a profile to my front-on view.)

Note also the color shift... I was trying to capture the legendary ruddiness of the poet's skin.

UPDATE: I've since given the model his other eye--a big improvement. I also added teeth and tongue. Makes a big difference.
Genete

Post by Genete »

So what drawing tool did you use?
The pose is good (drawing and expression) but I don't like the background. It distract me... Don't know why...

Good luck.
Genete
human

Post by human »

Genete wrote:So what drawing tool did you use?
The pose is good (drawing and expression) but I don't like the background. It distract me... Don't know why...

Good luck.
Genete
No problemo about that background--it's just temporary, won't be really used, not to be taken too seriously.

I tend to work mostly in Paint Shop Pro and then vectorize in Adobe Illustrator.

In order to get a cleaner image, however, I frequently reverse this process.

In other words, once I vectorize, I may screen-capture the result as a bitmap, refine the bitmap, and then re-vectorize. In fact, I'm using this crazy method right now as I attach the head to a body pose...
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I think the hat brim should cast a shadow...looks odd that there is heavy shadowing elsewhere and the hat is an exception. I like the colour scheme and drawing though -- whatever program was used.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I agree there should be some cast shadow under the hat, but the subject and time period is a very interesting choice for animation. I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I'm afraid I don't have too much to add, but I too really like the style and timeperiod. I can't wait to see it animated!

jorgy
human

Post by human »

Ok, maybe I get a little too excited when I accomplish something, so please grin and bear with me...

But perhaps the moral of this story is that as you are building your model sheet, part of your job may be to reconcile inconsistencies between views you developed over the course of weeks or months.

So here we go... front view and side view together!

slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Digging this up as one possible tie ...

I've just found a page with samples of the artwork I had in mind when we discussed the style of your project.
http://rmouron.club.fr/index7VA.html features posters by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolphe_Muron_Cassandre.
Dr. Nick

Post by Dr. Nick »

I really like your character ~~ it seems that with all the detail and shading you've been working through a painstaking process. I have yet to explore how to do shading in AS but posting your work here is directly relevant, if for no other reason than to inspire AS VG artists to achieve the same level of detail.

But beyond that it's just plain very cool to look at. You seem to be setting up a model with the potential to express and evoke a range of emotion. Right now, when I look at him I get a sense of melancholia and earthiness that is much in tune with his poetry. It will be very interesting to see how this model lends itself to a range of expressiveness when animated.
Dr. Nick
----
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."

-Confucius