My new animation... (Not AS! - claymation)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

CrAzY Dan

My new animation... (Not AS! - claymation)

Post by CrAzY Dan »

This isn't AS work as I am still working on that, but I have created this in my spare time. Took 5 hours to complete using stop motion and clay/plasticine.

Comments and Feedback welcome :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUiupfOHmkw#GU5U2spHI_4

P.S I think YouTube Player has slowed down the frame rate a tiny bit. It is a little smoother than that. :D
15 year old Anime Studio user...
27/12/06: Im back and ready to get creating again!!
spoooze!

Post by spoooze! »

Niiiiiiiice.

I like the backgrounds.

It could use some music and sound effects and maybe some voice overs even (just dub over with the mic).
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Thanks..

The backgrounds took a while to do XD

I tried some music over the top but I couldn't find a style to match it. Will try in my next one though ;)

Dan =]
Genete

Post by Genete »

Nice!!! I like it very much. If you can do it with AS it will be a great animation!! I like the story flow, simple but effective.

Congratulations.
Genete
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Nice animation, I like it very much, simple and and good storytelling, and I nice flow!
Good work!
byanfu

Post by byanfu »

Very good and nice story! Hopefully you can find a soundtrack to go with it, I think that would really top it off nicely.

Well done.
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

I have to agree with the suggestions for some sort of audio track. The dead silence is actually somewhat distracting, making it difficult to really follow what exactly is going on.

If you are avoiding audio simply to prevent tying any particular "voices" to your characters, you could resolve the silence issue by using some form of Simlish, so your characters can still emote themselves vocally, but without actually saying anything in particular. (Something similar to mumbling, but as a form of communication in itself.)

One example of this would include Aardman's Purple and Brown series of shorts, which features a pair of clay blobs who communicate entirely through their actions and a series of various gutteral noises. (The series currently appears on various Nickelodeon channels, such as the Nicktoons Network.)

Overall, this is a pretty good start in an artform that is extremely tricky to pull off convincingly. However, those who manage to master it often end up being well recognized for their work, such as Nick Park (Wallace and Gromit) or Ray Harryhausen (Clash of the Titans, King Kong, Jason and the Argonauts).

I look forward to seeing more of your work in this area of animation. :)
8==8 Bones 8==8
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

Wow! Thank you for all your comments.

I am currently planning a small short like this in AS that I will start today.

The Simlish is very interesting and I have watched purple and brown on Nicktoons before and personally, I like it! :D

I think I'll make a small short and call it Simlish and post it here tonite and see what you think...

More comments will be appreciated.
byanfu

Post by byanfu »

CrAzY Dan,

I just noticed in your signature that you are 15. Thats great to see you experimenting with this kind of thing at your age. I wish I had started out that young.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

When I was a youngster the highest tech animation "software" I had available were the margins of books and notepads doing flip book cartoons.

I wonder if my parents still have those books? I could scan them in!

;)

-vern
Touched

Post by Touched »

Do it! I scanned in 2 of my old flip books.
LittleFenris

Post by LittleFenris »

Bones3D wrote: If you are avoiding audio simply to prevent tying any particular "voices" to your characters, you could resolve the silence issue by using some form of Simlish, so your characters can still emote themselves vocally, but without actually saying anything in particular. (Something similar to mumbling, but as a form of communication in itself.)
Something similar to recent Zelda games like Wind Waker.
CrAzY Dan

Post by CrAzY Dan »

heyvern wrote:When I was a youngster the highest tech animation "software" I had available were the margins of books and notepads doing flip book cartoons.

I wonder if my parents still have those books? I could scan them in!

;)

-vern
I've done that in most of my school books XD
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

LittleFenris wrote:Something similar to recent Zelda games like Wind Waker.
That could prove easier to work with than the more complex "simlish" stuff I mentioned earlier. (I had considered citing "Animal Crossing" for similar reasons.)

In more of the recent Nintendo titles (excluding the mario ones), they tend to use a baseline "voice" (a loopable mumbling sound), followed by various, universally understood vocal expressions (such as "huh?" for questions, "oh!" for surprise, "yay!" or laughter for positive responses, "hmm..." for thinking, growling or groaning for negative respones and screams or studdering for fear responses), combined with the appropriate body gestures to tell the viewer what each character is thinking.
8==8 Bones 8==8