GreyKid Pictures

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Freakish Kid

GreyKid Pictures

Post by Freakish Kid »

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since we posted anything new.

Although we have had some stuff for a while we just haven't had the time to get it online.

La Riene Soleil is released next week in France, the world premiere was in Egypt a few weeks back, it was very sucessful and a beautiful thing to see, the film was shown amungst the pyramids no less. Anyhoo keep an eye out for it as it starts to open across Europe and the rest of the world.

Now, we have new films online just for you guys! We were gonna wait until the new site went online in May but we figured you might like to see them now.

These have been done from December through February.

All animation was, like usual, done within Anime Studio.

Hope you guys like em!

http://www.greykid.com/Les_Rugbymen

http://www.greykid.com/Raoul&Fernand

http://www.greykid.com/Safestore

GK
byanfu

Post by byanfu »

WOW! I love it, you guys really do amazing work. Even the style of the drawings is fantastic. I was wondering on these shorts do you do a lot of story boarding before creating them?

Again Nice work.
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

byanfu wrote:WOW! I love it, you guys really do amazing work. Even the style of the drawings is fantastic. I was wondering on these shorts do you do a lot of story boarding before creating them?

Again Nice work.
The storyboard is usually produced in a very detailed fashion. We use the board as a layout for the modeling.

Models are created from our design sheets and then 'tweaked' to match the storyboard.

I start out by producing a thumbnail for the team then a colour 'mood' board for art direction.

Then we work on a larger scale board, usually twice the normal size.

GK
Genete

Post by Genete »

Wow and wow. I love the last one much!! They are "The New Incredibles" !!. What nice drawing style!!! Very impressve use of colors and shadow effects!!!

Only one question. Did you used 3D objects in any of those shorts?
Thanks

Genete
slice11217

Post by slice11217 »

Overall, fantastic work!! You guys are always an inspiration. Seriously, when I need something to kinda role model off of, I watch one of your shorts. Really strong stuff.

There are however, a few rough edges that I noticed. The first is in the rugby short in the very first scene. I thought that the large rugby player in the background was lacking a bit of weight as he runs. -Could use a little bit of squash and stretch since he's such a big guy. This would help out the later part of this scene when he jumps in the air. Other than that, the scene is quite good.

The second one I noticed was in the Garbage Monster short. The gag where the large guy is wearing the costume of the skinny girl falls apart for me. It took me a couple of viewings before I noticed it.

But hey, I liked it enough to invest the time for a couple of viewings so these things are really quite minor.

Great work!

Scott
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

HOLY....!!!

Can't say enough about "Safestore". If the client direction was to emulate 'The Incredibles', you guys knocked it out of the park.

How much, if any, was done in 3D? If so, what app did you use?

Do you get that soft shadow blur on the characters in After Effects/post? You did that kind of thing in "Bunny Love" too, right? Such a great effect.

What a fantastic testament to an unbelievably awesome program. Every time you share a new release, e-frontier HAS TO sell at least a couple hundred more copies of AS/Moho.

Continued Success!
Touched

Post by Touched »

GreyKid. your work is always impressive and educational, and it was the strength of your samples that convinced me to buy Anime Studio.
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Hi Guys, thanks for the kind words, I'm going to try and answer everyones questions on this thread, I think I usually say that but then run out of time! As you all know animation sucks time up like a fat Italian eating spagetti!

So...

@Genete:

No 3D was used in any of our films, Anime Studio was the sole program. Everything was built with the classic vector line and fill (gotta love this program!)

@Slice11217:

There is actually a lot of squash and stretch on the character loop, any more and the whole thing would seem a little too rubbery and you should always trie to steer clear of that unless thats the look you want to go for. There were different versions of that cycle but the client choose that one, and we are all at the hands of our clients! The thing that is missing that would give the whole character more wait is a heavy thudding sound as his feet smash into the floor, you'd be suprised what a well placed sound can do to an animation - come to think of it, I think we will add that before the movie goes live on our new site.

Once again - with the Safestore job, we were at the hands of our client what they wants - they gets! I personally am not keen on that gag, i wanted, instead of the cross dressing one, the leader to take off his glasses (as most alter egos wear them to conceal their identities) and run to his pole, only because he took off his glasses he runs into the wall instead - at which point he puts them back on so he can see where he is going. What can I say - maybe it'll appear in the sequel if it happens later on this year.

@Gnaws:

Thanks for the compliments - the client did say "We want the Incredibles but in 2d" The four supers in the film are actually real people.

Something that people find hard to believe is that the whole long form commercial, from concept to final delivery, took six weeks. We couldn't believe it ourselves!

As I said before no 3d was used just glorious Anime Studio!

The shading (both shadow and colour) was done, along with the compositing, in Combustion. Yes we used it in Bunny Love - It has evolved a little since then though.

We all feel the same as you do about the software - we hope e-frontier sells hthousands of copies so they can continue to add to the software.

@Touched

Thanks Touched, thats very kind of you to say. I'm happy to hear that our work inspires people to take up using Anime Studio and animation in general. Our passion for our industry really is the heart and soul of the company.

GK
PatrickS

Post by PatrickS »

I am really amazed by what you guys keep doing with this piece of software. Every piece of work is eyepopping. I have a few questions.

How much actual drawing on paper,for instance posing or character layout, do you guys do before you start animating in AS?

How do you guys deal with the shape order problem in AS?

What does your standard model include, in terms of functionality, before you adjust them to the requirements for a specific scene? And what is your basic setup for these models? I know you are working on a tutorialsbook (can't wait for that one), but it would be really helpfull if you could explain a little about your approach.

Great work guys!
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

EddyWally wrote:I am really amazed by what you guys keep doing with this piece of software. Every piece of work is eyepopping. I have a few questions.

How much actual drawing on paper,for instance posing or character layout, do you guys do before you start animating in AS?

How do you guys deal with the shape order problem in AS?

What does your standard model include, in terms of functionality, before you adjust them to the requirements for a specific scene? And what is your basic setup for these models? I know you are working on a tutorialsbook (can't wait for that one), but it would be really helpfull if you could explain a little about your approach.

Great work guys!
The drawings that we produce for a film are character sheets and a detailed storyboard, we build everything from this.

I don't understand what you mean by shape order problem, we don't tend to have problems when we are building the models.

We build a detailed model from the start, taking into account exactley how we want the animation to work. The models that we build are just like what was in the tutorial for the software, thats where we learnt from. We keep the bones to a minimum and use a lot of point animation.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Great stuff guys. If I may be a little picky, I think the intros take up too much time with the logo etc...I reckon the intro logo could be 4 seconds or so and get the point across well. I also think the whole thing could be a lot quicker, even though I know you want people to look at all the details you've included in the piece. The art direction's great, I totally enjoyed the backgrounds on the 'Incredibles-esque' piece, and the green colour scheme for the monster of mess.

The security camera was also very well done.

As I say, my major gripe is the length of the intros. They take up like, half the movie.

Your clients must have been super-pleased with the results? ;)
PatrickS

Post by PatrickS »

I have to agree with mikdog about the intro's, they are pretty long. With the shape order problem I mean the fact that you can't key the order of things, like left eye being in front of the nose, but when the head turns, the left eye is still in front of the nose in stead of behind it.

How detailed is the storyboard, if I may ask? Does it include every keypose? I am asking this because I seem to have problems with keeping nice graphic poses once I start pulling points.

Thanks for the reply, greykid!
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Mikdog wrote:Great stuff guys. If I may be a little picky, I think the intros take up too much time with the logo etc...I reckon the intro logo could be 4 seconds or so and get the point across well. I also think the whole thing could be a lot quicker, even though I know you want people to look at all the details you've included in the piece. The art direction's great, I totally enjoyed the backgrounds on the 'Incredibles-esque' piece, and the green colour scheme for the monster of mess.

The security camera was also very well done.

As I say, my major gripe is the length of the intros. They take up like, half the movie.

Your clients must have been super-pleased with the results? ;)
What you have to understand is that a client requests a specific time, you put forward many different ideas and they pick from those. I argue till i'm blue in the face about timing etc but they want it how they want it. It's their product and they pay for it so we are at their disposal.

As far as the logo is concerend, if we have the opportunity to advertise our companies branding on TV, Net or any other source then we take it. Nobody else advertises for you and you should take every option that is handed to you.

Two of the films (Rugby and Raoul) do have a long intro but thats because they are part of a larger film, one sketch is all that has been released for now.

Yes the clients were very pleased with the results.

GK
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

EddyWally wrote:I have to agree with mikdog about the intro's, they are pretty long. With the shape order problem I mean the fact that you can't key the order of things, like left eye being in front of the nose, but when the head turns, the left eye is still in front of the nose in stead of behind it.

How detailed is the storyboard, if I may ask? Does it include every keypose? I am asking this because I seem to have problems with keeping nice graphic poses once I start pulling points.

Thanks for the reply, greykid!
Main poses are produced in the storyboard, everything we need to make the animation. We basically produce storyboard and layout at the same time.

GK
adam_rp

Grey Kid's latest

Post by adam_rp »

Oh Man!!!!

every time I think I've figured out what this program can do, you guys come along and push it even further.

Incredible work - I really enjoyed SafeStore... in particular the opening sequence, the junk robot bursting out of the closet and any scene with the junk robot.

The development work you do before you even open up Moho really shows.
You manage to add a huge amount of depth (in the Z sense) to your work.

Great stuff - what an inspiration.

Adam.