GreyKid Pictures

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Brent Lowrie

Post by Brent Lowrie »

DatBoiDrew wrote:would u happen to have a file that i could be able to see how it's done? if not thanks anyways.
I am working on a lip sync tutorial and will be making the tutorial file available. That should happen soon, although we are currently swamped with other projects.

I'll start a new thread when the tutorial goes up but we should return this thread to GreyKid. Cheers!
Brent Lowrie
Anomaly Animation Studios
www.anomalyanimation.com
Draw_Girl

Post by Draw_Girl »

Can't wait!!! :D
Freakish Kid

New on air spot for Jetix.

Post by Freakish Kid »

Hey Guys!

Here's a job we finished a couple of months ago, it's done it's round on air so we can let you all take a look now.

I know you'll all get a buzz out of this! Many people do not believe its 2d but you guessed it... It's done in our very own Anime Studio!

Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.greykid.com/Jetix_Its_Me

GK
Genete

Post by Genete »

Holy cow!
Can you show us a clue how was this animation done?
Are they images wrapped by bones?
Are they vectors arts (so all the details including brights are done with vector art)?
There are any 3D object?

The feeling of the rubber - plastic toys is superb!

The post edition of the animation (I thing you've commented before it was done in After Effects) is amazing. The blurred moved transitions gives it a perfect film look.

Thanks for sharing knowledge.
-G
Farbklecks

Post by Farbklecks »

Because I'm a newbie, it doesn't matter if I'm telling or supposing nonsense...
I think they made it with a lot of photos.

Well, break-in into your little sister's room, collect all her Barbie dolls, make a photo session, and then prepare the pictures like every good transparent png's for AS, and start to animate as usual.

:wink: :lol:

(Just in the case you don't have any dolls for boys) :P
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

I'm almost certain the backgrounds were done in Moho/Photoshop, and the action figures were photographed, then cut up in Photoshop, and bones were added to the separate parts and put back together. If not bones in some places, squash and stretch with the scale tool was used.

Very nice. I'm pretty certain you guys took photos of the action figures, though. Don't think you would have created all of that in AS.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

My guess would be to do the basic movements in stop motion (after all, they don't do anything impossible to the plastic dolls), maybe in front of a bluescreen to get an alpha channel, isolate body parts in 2D, and treat them in AS as usually.

But it is done so precisely, so carefully and without any visible seams! Great stuff.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I dont think there ARE seems - they probably did poses on bluescreen like you suggest, and bone them without any slicing to manipulate squash and stretch...

nice work :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Anyway, it's very cleverly done and gives a unique look - and it caters the "truth in advertising" since it doesn't show 3D CGI characters but actual dolls, but with the additional touch of squash & stretch to make them appear alive. (And it's funny too.)
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your comments.

The figures were shot against a green screen with a general shot set up/layout then we produced body parts in Photoshop.

Boned and animated in AS. All animation was done in AS.

Compositing was done in Combustion.

Its all about prep! you can do almost anything in AS if you put your mind to it logically.

GK
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

That really is amazing. The only other time I've seen something that good with AS raster manipulation was something vovanimation did where he animated these amazing expressions on some photoshop artwork.
HOYBOYS

Post by HOYBOYS »

AMAZING! ... Keep Up The GREAT WORK and All The Best From The HOYBOYS! :D :D
HAVE A LAUGH ON US! at www.hoyboys.net
bakenius

Post by bakenius »

GreyKid Pictures wrote:Hey Guys,

Its all about prep! you can do almost anything in AS if you put your mind to it logically.

GK
As I see it, AS is just a medium, an exceptionally versatile medium, but just a medium nonetheless you can utilise to make your creative vision to come to life. :)

But I have to concur with the other board members here, the Jettix animation is fresh, original and a really good example that software can be bend to your personal creative needs if you just make a clear plan. Animation like this gives off hope. :D
slice11217

Post by slice11217 »

Hey, this is something kinda trite but I was wondering...

how do you guys layer, or more accurately affect, your shadow layer on your characters?

Is it on its own layer and then masked by the color layer, in other words, are there three layers (line, shadow, then color in descending order), or is it far simpler than that.

I'm only wondering because it's something I've taken for granted until recently.
Freakish Kid

Post by Freakish Kid »

slice11217 wrote:Hey, this is something kinda trite but I was wondering...

how do you guys layer, or more accurately affect, your shadow layer on your characters?

Is it on its own layer and then masked by the color layer, in other words, are there three layers (line, shadow, then color in descending order), or is it far simpler than that.

I'm only wondering because it's something I've taken for granted until recently.
It depends what you are asking.

Do you mean shadows in a film like La Reiene Soleil or backlight shaowing like in Bunny Love.

LRS is done on model (built into the fill) and with effects in composition.

Bunny Love is done with effects in comp.

GK