Old Amiga work

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

F.M.

Old Amiga work

Post by F.M. »

Something I did years ago using an Amiga computer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc2xMGjnrrw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYctIhyywQs

Abstract, enjoy!
Last edited by F.M. on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"and then Man created god!"
FrozenDelight

Post by FrozenDelight »

I want an Amiga.
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

Was it with a Video Toaster setup? The things were quite fun back in those days, but were a pain in the rear to maintain if the software got corrupted. Used to require the user to manually swap out nearly 300 3.5" disks... and god forbid if even one of those floppies went bad on you toward the end!

(Learned that little life lesson the hard way.) :P
8==8 Bones 8==8
Touched

Post by Touched »

Indeed, I had one too.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

As you can probably deduce from my name I am quite a fan of the Amiga. Actually, it's not quite as 'dead' as people may think....

http://www.amiga.com/news/?art=26

I created loads of animation on Amiga's (still have one) and it was truly multitasking - something that PC's are only now getting close to but still don't do anywhere near as efficiently.

Edit: Just found this short (and tiny) clip from a TV short a friend and I made on two Amiga A1200's in 1997! Not as impressive as F.M's animation above but as we're onto Amiga's...
http://www.dalemation.free-online.co.uk ... lltalk.mov
FrozenDelight

Post by FrozenDelight »

That clip is good AmigaMan!

I've started going to a car boot sale in the hope I will find an Amiga of some sort. I don't know much about them though, back then I remember my friend owning one while I had an Atari ST and a Megadrive. I remember we could use the Megadrive pads on his Amiga. I was impressed with it's power.

A couple of months ago, I was looking for something to help me with a project I had at uni. I didn't use it in the end, but I found TVpaint's history quite interesting. A program that's now on the PC, but was originally on the Amiga. Looks like a good app

There's also some law issues they have with Mirage. I found it interesting to read about it, check out wikipedia for more info.

AmigaMan gave a link to amiga.com. I went there and read some stuff. I was wondering, what would you run AmigaOS 4 on? I'm going to have to read up on Amiga's, because I don't know much about the different releases they had. I'd love to find a good one hear in the UK for a good price.
The Future is Now.
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Ebay is probably your best bet for an old Amiga - I would recommend the A1200. Some people, me included, fitted these into towers and had all the usual PC peripherals connected. For some reason you had to have quite a high powered PC at the time to run a CD writer - the 14Mhz!!! Amiga coped just fine!

I use Mirage too. Yep, it's derived from the Amiga package TVPaint. Lots of todays best software started life on the Amiga. Lightwave, Cinema 4D, Animation:Master etc.

I am a little out of touch myself now but I believe OS4, the latest version of Amiga OS, will only run on the newly developed hardware. OS3.5 was the last version to run on the Amiga A1200's etc.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

I never owned a VideoToaster, the 3D stuff was modeled and rendered with imagine with pictures backdrops done in brilliance, some was rendered as 3D then inported into brilliance to create an animbrush in order to composite and save time (rendering) the morph was done using DeluxePaint4(brush to brush). Yes multitasking in these machines was far ahead of the competition, I could run 4 different programs at the same time with just 32Mb of ram. Once in a while I still fire my old A2000 and A1200 on, and wish someone would make a version of DPaint or Brilliance that could run natively on one of the prasent computer plattforms. Mirage falls a bit short, I use it because is the closest to those programs.
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

AH, Dpaint ... I really liked that program. Did it ever get ported to the PC?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Yes, it did. It morphed into Deluxe Paint 2 -- a great little program. *eyes go misty*
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

AH, Dpaint ... I really liked that program. Did it ever get ported to the PC?
I believe it did but Electronic Arts ceased development and decided to concentrate on games. I liked DPaint but preferred Brilliance for most of my work. Deluxe Paint 5 was the final Amiga version. I only sold my copy a few months back :cry:

ProMotion http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php seems to be the closest to DPaint for PC.
Touched

Post by Touched »

While we're sharing our Amiga experiences, I had an Amiga 4000 with Toaster, with Lightwave and all. Also had some games including a kind of Scorched Earth/Worms type game I can't remember the name of. All too soon it died on us, something with the graphics card. Must have only been months we had it. There was definitely some kind of current running through the cable that connected from the Amiga to the VCR, it would shock us when we touched it. Well, one day when Jerry plugged it in, I watched the monitor quickly dim to black, and since Commodore had recently gone out of business, there was no way for us to get it repaired. I don't recall what we did with it, but I don't have it anymore.
shoepie

Post by shoepie »

Cool, I had an Amiga too with Deluxe Paint 2 for creating sprites for my AMOS games. I also got Imagine on the cover of and Amiga magazine I think..... but all I could do was add a torus with a chequered floor!
ShoePie.co.uk - My animations.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

Added this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKJ0N9gtgFc also done a long time ago with an A1200.