Incompetent Secret Agent. Experiment in bone rigging

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Thanks for the update Genete.

At this point I am pretty far with what I have. I think for version 1.0 of this rig I am going to continue with what I have. I can always do a version 2.0.

I will study what you've done and see if I can get my head around it. At the moment I am trying to lean towards something easy for other users to set up with their own drawings.

Unless I'm missing something your rig would require a lot measuring and figuring to adapt it to different shapes... I played around with it in my existing rig and... was... uh... unsuccessful in adapting it... at least with out starting over entirely from scratch.. which I will probably need to do with version 2.0 at some point. ;)

My current set up doesn't have "perfect" 3D rotation but visually it is pretty darn close and that is all I wanted. It's all an illusion anyway. And set up is simpler.

At this point to save time and get something out there the max rotation will be limited to slightly over 3/4 view with a bit of up and down. From what I've been playing around with, this is more than enough to do quite a lot.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

heyvern wrote:Thanks for the update Genete.

At this point I am pretty far with what I have. I think for version 1.0 of this rig I am going to continue with what I have. I can always do a version 2.0.

I will study what you've done and see if I can get my head around it. At the moment I am trying to lean towards something easy for other users to set up with their own drawings.

Unless I'm missing something your rig would require a lot measuring and figuring to adapt it to different shapes... I played around with it in my existing rig and... was... uh... unsuccessful in adapting it... at least with out starting over entirely from scratch.. which I will probably need to do with version 2.0 at some point. ;)

My current set up doesn't have "perfect" 3D rotation but visually it is pretty darn close and that is all I wanted. It's all an illusion anyway. And set up is simpler.

At this point to save time and get something out there the max rotation will be limited to slightly over 3/4 view with a bit of up and down. From what I've been playing around with, this is more than enough to do quite a lot.

-vern
I agree with you. Perhaps my 0-180º turn tech could be a little "mechanic" so some distorsion is good for the expresions. You should continue with your 3/4 turn rig. It is enough for most of users.
But sincerly I think that starting over from scratch. you can perform a "3D skeleton" of the face with the top and front view of the head. It will help for instance for a face of an animal (a dog, a horse or even a dinosaur...) because the overall shape is not like an egg, like human head look for 99% of people. It is easier to rotate a head with a small nose than other with a big one. In those cases would be needed my "3D bone sculpted head".

Anyway I'm having fun with this headache!!!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Anyway I'm having fun with this headache!!!
Phew! Me too!

I didn't want to hurt your feelings if I "cheated" on this rig. ;)

Actually I do plan to use the rig on my animal characters... with snouts. I did some tests with BIG LONG noses and it seems to work pretty good by just increasing the values of the constraints to a specific bone for that spot.

Keep in mind that bone influence also plays a key role. The side of the head CAN'T rotate "realistically", it has to stop and become the other side of the head. The side of the head by the ears becomes the cheek. There is no "edge" there since this is 2D.

By using overlapping bone influence and adjusting the constraint values I can "fake" that aspect. Same for the long snouts. The snout is controlled at the base by some bones and at the tip by others, that have overlapping influence.

By adjusting the bones in the spring and increasing the constraint values I can make the snout rotate.... relatively realistically. In those situations it is a trial and error process. I may need to do a separate rig for long snouts.

-vern