Griddleville

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BA

Griddleville

Post by BA »

This was my first (and last) traditional animation project. The one that almost killed me. It took way too long to make, and the craziest part is, once it was done I was so tired of the thing I couldn't bring myself to put much effort into distributing it.

So now some time has gone by, and I have a huge pile of DVDs sitting in my apartment not being seen by anyone, so I figured it was about time to put the whole damn thing online. You can still get the DVD and I encourage you to do so if you are hungry for more (it contains lots of making-of stuff, like storyboards, animatic, pencil tests, etc), or just want to support this project.

But the best things in life are free, so here I am trying to nudge my weird little short into that category. If you enjoy it, please pass on the link so more people can finally see the thing.

Anyway, enough ramble - go check out http://www.griddleville.com!
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Ooh!

NICE!

I watched the trailer! Love it! See where you get your avvie from.

Gonna try load the whole movie now. Must have taken you AGES to make it man. Also like the muzak. Fruity Loops?
red hamster

Post by red hamster »

Very impressive
idragosani

Re: Griddleville

Post by idragosani »

BA wrote:This was my first (and last) traditional animation project. The one that almost killed me. It took way too long to make, and the craziest part is, once it was done I was so tired of the thing I couldn't bring myself to put much effort into distributing it.

So now some time has gone by, and I have a huge pile of DVDs sitting in my apartment not being seen by anyone, so I figured it was about time to put the whole damn thing online. You can still get the DVD and I encourage you to do so if you are hungry for more (it contains lots of making-of stuff, like storyboards, animatic, pencil tests, etc), or just want to support this project.

But the best things in life are free, so here I am trying to nudge my weird little short into that category. If you enjoy it, please pass on the link so more people can finally see the thing.

Anyway, enough ramble - go check out http://www.griddleville.com!
Wow, good stuff! You need to get this stuff out there!
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
Anime Studio Pro 8.1 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 11.04 : Cintiq 12wx
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

Loved it. Was this all ASP5 (aka Moho?) If not, what other programs did you use to make this/assemble this? Looks like there's some 3-d stuff in there, especially in the "alien city" segment.

Outside of the fantastic Greykid material, this is the most elaborate posting I've seen yet. How long did it take?

regards
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

DVTVFilm wrote:Loved it. Was this all ASP5 (aka Moho?)
BA wrote:This was my first (and last) traditional animation project.
Reading is a virtue ;)
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Watched most of the entire thing, my internet connection is 64kb.

Loved the flying contraption thing - my best bit which I treasured even after watching it is when Spag is talking to th einventor dude, and a robot in the background is carrying something and drops it. Awesome ending to a scene. THAT was even better than the SIMPSONS or any other piece of animation I've seen. Just the way it directed my attention and at first it was unnoticeable, but then I focused fully on it wondering what was going to happen.

Multi-layered - awesome.

Not so mad about the butterfly getting splatted against a tree. Kind of ruined it for me.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Hey cool. Very well done. You need to get this out there -whadda you waitin fer. Let us know what parts, if any, were done in Moho so we can talk it up here and there. Post it on awn.com and if cgtalk has traditional do it there as well -those alone usually generate huge traffic.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
Genete

Post by Genete »

VERY IMPRESSIVE! Specially at (I don't know how to say in english) the industry where appears the cow. Lots of animation stuff. very well done job.
A pity that it was your LAST traditional animation project.
Rgds.
BA

Post by BA »

hey, thanks for the feedback. nice to know that people can finally check it out online. any tips on how to spread the word further are especially appreciated.

for those curious as to how this was made, it's a long story but I'll try to give a synopsis:

First of all, the entire project was made using a CHAOS ENGINE. To explain this properly would involve a whole other thread, so for now I'll just say, it's about 3' x 2' x 4', emits an ongoing, steady 'BOOM', and you can stick your face in it. Also, it can run software.

Back to Griddleville - it all started on paper, with layouts and keyframes pencilled on a lightbox. This material was then scanned into photoshop.

Keys were timed out (along with the animatic) in After Effects, and then inbetweens were all drawn on layers in Photoshop, using a Wacom tablet.

The photoshop frames were then brought into Illustrator, where each frame was inked and detailed (lipsync was added at this stage, which wound up taking longer than the initial 'pencilling' stage).

Illustrator gave good lines but sadly had no paintbucket, so the inked frames were exported as vectors into flash, where i used the super-handy gap-filling paintbucket to colour them in.

Exported the coloured frames out of flash as Illustrator sequences, and brought them into After Effects, where the animations were combined with backgrounds, effects, sound and camera moves.

Finally, there was the whole city sequence at the end, which was done with 3D studio Max.

Explaining how the music was made would be yet another thread that i probably couldn't even write. It took two guys and a lot of crazy gear.

In the end - how long did it take? When I wrote the script it was supposed to be about 4 minutes of animation, done in about 8 months. In the end it came out to 11 minutes of animation, and it took 3 years of mostly full-time labour.

This is why it's my last traditional project.... well, Moho is another reason. I wish I had known of Moho before doing all those drawings. It's just unnecessary now.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I was wondering if a program like TVPaint would have sped up the project as well. I think it is the closest to traditional animation of the current affordable animation programs. It has been around since 1991 on the Amiga and 1994 on the PC, was renamed Aura in 1999, and Mirage in 2003. Since 2006 TVPaint is sold under its own name by TVPaint Développement in France. It uses pixels instead of vectors to draw the frames.
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

It's awesome.

Seriously bru, you must submit this to Annecee and other animation festivals. Pople have got to see this. Just like, get a list of all the animation festivals in the world and complete the last stage of this project that took 3 years!

It's awesome! You can't stop now, when you're so close! Very very cool. If anything, congrats on managing to pull through and complete the project. That's quite a feat.

:wink:
GoChris1

This is terrific

Post by GoChris1 »

This is easily in the top 3 movies I've ever seen that were done with Moho.
The Grey Kid stuff is amazing, but this is just as good in its own way. So I'm also writing to encourage you to send this to Ottawa and Annecy and Spike and Mike and everyone else.

A good source for film festival news is www.withoutabox.com

Really - this is inspirational work. I use Max and Illustrate! too and really liked the 3-D toon backgrounds. You did things I never thought of doing.

Great job - I plan on buying a DVD.

Chris
BA

Re: This is terrific

Post by BA »

GoChris1 wrote:This is easily in the top 3 movies I've ever seen that were done with Moho.
Many thanks for the kind words - just to clarify, this wasn't done in Moho... see my last post for the details on how it was made. If only I knew then what I know now...

As for the next one...

news is on the way.
GoChris1

Post by GoChris1 »

Yeah, I realized that after I wrote the post.

Still, it's terrific to see someone with an underground sense make a really cool cartoon. I sent it over to Amid at Cartoon Brew.com, so if he decides to write about it, don't be surprised if you get a lot of internet traffic coming to look at your film.