My Website

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

burkey214

My Website

Post by burkey214 »

Hi, my names Dan, I'm pretty new to the whole flash scene and I'm still working on my first movie. Its like the movie A Night At The Roxberry, only its a cartoon. Please check out the screenshots of my work in progress at my website. Also, if you have a flash movie you want me to put on my site drop me an email, there are email links on the site. Right now the sites pretty small because its only 3 days old and I've been working on it in my spare time, mostly during science or english classes.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

I'd be happy to check out your site, but, er, you forgot the URL?

--Brian
7feet

Post by 7feet »

I'd be happy to check out your site, but, er, you forgot the URL?

--Brian
burkey214

yea

Post by burkey214 »

yea, you can just click the www icon at the bottom of the post to visit it so i didnt bother to put an url in
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Aha! I never really paid much attention to those buttons, and hadn't noticed the "WWW" one. Oops.

--Brian
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

I'd love to check it out but when I clicked on the WWW button, it brought up a page full of HTML code.

I'm using Firefox 1.0 on Windows XP Pro.

I just tried it on Internet Explorer and it works fine. I won't bother with a lecture on browser compatibility cause I know what a pain it is to make sure a website works for everyone's unique setups and sometimes you just need to say,"It's what I got, and either you can see it or you can't."

I'm looking forward to the animation.

I'm not sure if you wanted critique on your website, but you hit a nerve with a number of pet peeves.

Not too bad. A little light on content.

The odd color font on black is a bit hard to read.

I'm not a big fan of people changing my cursor (it changes to a "+" over a link). I also especially don't like it when they disable the status bar. It reeks of someone trying to hide something and just feels too manipulative. It doesn't matter if you have a rollover text box pop up, I still prefer to have the status bar available.

Links: I'd rather see a difference in text color, underline, something to indicate that there's a link. Otherwise it just looks like regular text, dramatically cutting down on the chance of someone clicking on something. If you hadn't said there was something to click on your website, I probably would have just thought that, aside from the top buttons, it was a work in progress.

Also, in the "Downloads" section, I'd rather you send me to the site that hosts those programs so that I can read about them, rather than linking directly to the download of that file.

I hope it helps. Of course, feel free to ignore any or all of my opinions, they are, after all, only opinions.
:wink:
________
Girlfriends Pics
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
burkey214

thanks

Post by burkey214 »

thats actually great I'm glad you took the time to type all that kdiddy. It is a work in progress, i think its 4 days old now. What do you mean by hiding the status bar? Also for links I will consider changing changing their color. Are you using a mac because I noticed today when I was checking out my site on a mac the links didn't change to green when someone rolled over them. As you can see the site still needs some tweaking, thats why I put this post up so you guys could tell me what you think so thanks again.

Ps. I might not have covered everything you said and thats not because i chose to ignore those things, i just forgot them all as i was replying
kdiddy13

Glad it helps

Post by kdiddy13 »

I'm glad you found my opinions useful. They definitely were meant to be that way. I'm always a little worried when I type up a post like that. Sometimes I get fired up and come of as insulting instead of the intended helpful.

I'm using a PC at home and Linux at work. Funny I just tried your site at work on Mozilla and same thing happened. It just came up as code (no actual page). Anyone else see this? I wonder if it's a bug in Mozilla based browsers. I haven't seen it before. Are you saving the index as an .htm (as opposed to .html) Not that it should matter, I'm just curious.

The status bar. I'm not sure what you did or if you even meant to, but when I rollover a link (this is in IE) it doesn't tell me the path in the status bar. I like to know where I'm being sent before I click on a link.

They do change color when I rollover them, but if I never know to rollover them, I might not (does that actually make sense?).
Changing the link color while it's inactive (no rollover) would probably be all that it takes. Just something to indicate it's different than the text while you're reading it.

I hope this helps. I think you're close to a pretty good website. :D
________
Ipad accessories
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
burkey214

yea...

Post by burkey214 »

yea, u didnt come off as insulting at all, yourr posts are really helping out.

For the link path not showing in the status bar I think its because I'm using a javascript for links so that the color flips.
I also am gonna change the link color to the green that it switches to on rolover eventually.

As for the whole html code deal on your different browsers I think I know the cause and solution. As you can see I am using angelfire. Since its a free page its ad-supported, however I found a way around that ; i don't name my files home.html and downloads.html, I just name them home and downloads. I sorta expected that it would cause some problems down the road so I guese I've got to way both sides : works on all browsers but with ads or no ads but doesnt work on some, what do you think I should do?
burkey214

oh yea

Post by burkey214 »

oh yea, I've also got a few questions for you.

I noticed on your site your quicktime movies are only 4 to 10 mb. And their 1 to 3 minutes long. Im working on my first animation right now and its already 28 mb and only 39 seconds long. Do you use a low framerate, a certain type of audio, a low color setting? I loved the urinal animation by the way.