A modest test

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AllenC

A modest test

Post by AllenC »

This is a test animation I made using MOHO, I'm just learning how it all works. This clip is a quick test using bones with a character and animated with a background. Let me know what you think.

The link for this short clip has been uploaded to RapidShare. Just scroll down, click on the FREE button at bottom right, then scroll down the page that displays and wait however many seconds you need to wait to download the file...hope no one has difficulty with this.

http://rapidshare.de/files/29370002/All ... 2.avi.html

Anyway, glad to be a new member on the forum and I look forward to producing some great animation with MOHO.

I've also enjoyed viewing the work that has been shared.

Peace,
Allen
AllenC

A different Link

Post by AllenC »

Okay, so I just figured out how to ftp this to my domain server. It is not on a webpage but just in a folder on the root directory. I tested it and it worked, I just had to allow my media player to access the net. Hope this is an easier way to share the file. Very soon I will create an htm page just for Moho tests and projects. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

http://cartersfolly.com/moho/Allens_Alien_Ant2.avi

Cheers,
Allen
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

Wow! The animation is very good! The anticipation and movements all look natural and life-like. The only (minor) suggestion I would have is to put a little bit of movement into the neck, since it seems to be such a tiny neck. But this is really a minor nitpick. The animation itself is very good! I like the character design. Will we get more?

jorgy
AllenC

Thanks

Post by AllenC »

Jorgy,

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, the neck is tiny...LOL! The limbs are only lines with some thickness added. Glad you liked the animation, though.

As promised, I've started a webpage to share my experiments and here it is: http://www.cartersfolly.com/moho/moho.html

Cheers,
Allen
HOYBOYS

Post by HOYBOYS »

VERY NICE WORK ALLANC...nice smooth movements...looks like you know what you're doing with BONES. Also like how the antenna move and that your ALIEN is BLUE (instead of almost always GREEN)...Keep up the Great Work and hope to see more of it!...All the Best.........The HOYBOYS! :D :D
HAVE A LAUGH ON US! at www.hoyboys.net
AllenC

HoyBoys

Post by AllenC »

Tom and John,

Thanks for the feedback, glad you liked the test. I've been checking out your work as well on www.hoyboys.net and must say you two have a distinct style that works very well. The lyrics and music are excellent, the way you augment that with the animation is also great...it is not as easy to tell a story with pictures/animation as many people think and you do it very well.

Everytime I have something worth sharing it be uploaded to my site: www.cartersfolly.com

As for now, I'm busy creating content, there will be more on it than animation. The site may be nothing more than a narcissistic adventure :roll: but my animation, specifically animation made with Moho, will be the most prominant part of it.

Also, I have made some story boards for a few humorous shorts that will be produced with Moho. First I must continue to learn how to properly use the program :D

Thanks Again,
Allen
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Nice work. I especially like the way he pulls in and launches; feels natural.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
AllenC

thanks

Post by AllenC »

bupaje,

Thanks for the comments, glad you took the time to check it out.

Right now I'm busy putting together a character to do some lip sync tests and I'm getting a bit frustrated, but I'll get through it...lol!

BTW, I made my Avatar with Moho, it is just two frames. Originally I had more frames but went over the 6 KB file size limit. I reduced the image in a photo editor and then assembled it as a GIF with Animation Shop. The drawing, however, was all done in Moho.

My friends say I made myself look too young in the cartoon of my head, but who cares...lol...one reason for cartooning/animation is to create a different reality! Or at least that's why I do it :shock:

Allen
Celeryhart

Post by Celeryhart »

Hey you.. are your little aliens invisible... ?? It wouldn't open up for me. But I love your little bouncing head. Things like that simply amaze me..

You kind of lost me in your description of how you did your avatar... it is so cute....
Okay, so you drew it in Moho.. then what... ?? Did you animate it in Moho?

Wanna give a step by step of how you did it..?? Don't leave any thing out...LOLO.... you are talking to a Moho embryo here... I know "nothing"

Thx... but only if you have time. I can see you are on to bigger and better things....

Celeryhart
AllenC

the Avatar

Post by AllenC »

Celeryhart,

Just to let you know, that although I have owned a copy of Moho for almost 2 years, I have only recently taken the time to learn it. I spend a great deal of time browsing the tutorials provided with the program and am clearly just a "newbie" as well.

The Alien Ant test was posted only in AVI format, if you are on a PC with Windows Media Player you should not have had a problem viewing it. The Audio Test was posted in both AVI and MOV (Quicktime) formats. Maybe I'll render the Alien Ant as a MOV file and upload that too...but only if you really want to see it.

As for how I made the Avatar, well, I'm sure there are easier ways than the technique I used. Even though I figured out a way to do it, it may not have been the most effecient way! With that said, here is how I made the Avatar:

1: Took a low res photo of my mug with a PC cam for reference

2: Skethed out some cartoony versions of my head in Procreate Painter Classic with the WACOM Pen and Tablet.

3: Imported those sketches as Tracing Images in Moho.

4: Used the draw tools in Moho and put the various parts of the drawing on different vector layers (i.e. I can remove the hat and show off my shaved dome, or now draw a new hat to replace the one used without having to draw the whole thing over again). I did not use the freehand drawing tool in Moho, but used the one where you add points and move them around until they are where you need them to be. Moho was used to add the color for the lines and fills. The variable line width and adjustable curve tools were also quite useful.

5: I kept checking how the final product would look by clicking on "File" and "Render" in Moho. This renders only the Frame that is visible at the time.

6: When I was satisfied with the look of it, I again chose File and Render but now saved the rendered image as a BMP. Then I moved the eyebrows and eyelids a bit and rendered and saved again.

7: After reducing these two BMP images in a photo editor I saw that some details did not hold up well at the reduced size. Going back to Moho I removed the dimple and some detail on the upper lip, added some line tickness here and there, and then repeated step 6 (note: if I understand correctly, the dimensional size for an avatar in this forum is a max of 80x80 pixels and a max 6 KB in data).

8: Satisfied with the two 80x80 pixel frames, I then opened up Animation Shop 3. Set the project for the approprieat size and imported the two images. I had to manually set the timing of the frames to get the desired effect. Saved the animation as a GIF and uploaded it here.

Celeryhart, I hope that anwered your questions.

AllenC
http://www.cartersfolly.com/moho/moho.html

P.S. Thanks for the compliments on the bouncing head.