My "Toon Girl" updated

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

My "Toon Girl" updated

Post by heyvern »

I decided to start a new thread for this one. She has changed a lot over the time I have used Moho. This is sort of in response to a "challenge" to put my money where my mouth is. I am a big Moho cheerleader... apparently some people don't like it. ;)

This is a character I started the first week I got Moho. I have been building on it since then.

http://www.lowrestv.com/moho_stuff/toonbabe3.mov
(This is an updated animation I just finished using a sound file I got off the web from the movie "Shop Around The Corner". It is about 3 mb.)

She is easy to look at so I use her for experimenting with new techniques. The file has gotten quite... elaborate.

This project is entirely animated with switches and bone rigging. Just open it up and start posing. There is no vector animation except for the switches for lip synch and the head turn.

She is shaded using shapes with soft edges and mask layers.

The biggest change since the original is "Mohohair". I use to have an image for the hair... but I couldn't do a head turn with an image for hair... so I made the hair completely in Moho with dynamic bones so it "wiggles".

The other big addition recently is posable rigged hands. I also plan to put in some "hand turns" so the positions can be changed easily.

Her dress is set up in such a way as to be easily changed... just change out the dress layer... make a new outfit and stick it in there or I can change the dress color by modifying a single style. There is a masked layer over the dress set to "Color" in the layer properties. Changing that style changes the entire dress color.

I intend to give this file along with a set of various rigged and switch hands I have created, to efrontier to be included with Anime Studio if they feel it will fit their needs. I hope it will meet their quality standards.

My feeling is... I want this new program to succeed... I have so much invested in it now that helping them succeed is my success. The best way for me to do this would be to help out with the content needed to show off the capabilites and give the users files they can start animating right away.

-vern
CowsCanFly

Post by CowsCanFly »

how did you do the hair!!!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It's not as... complicated as it looks. Just 4 shapes on top of each other in one layer with soft edges and gradient fills. The soft edges and offsetting the shapes is what blends it together.

I was thrilled it turned out that nice. Looks almost the same as the original Photoshop hair... actually... I think it looks better.

The head turn was a pain in the arse though. Jumped through some hoops for the hair. Used the magnet tool... which I don't use much... but it was great for "moving the part".

The cool part is the hair is in a switch layer with bones... so the head turn for the hair actually uses the same bones. I hadn't used bones in a switch layer like that before.

The animation of her arms is still crappy. She is like... flailing and waving all over the place... kind of distracting.

Thanks for the comment.

-vern
CowsCanFly

Post by CowsCanFly »

but great work overall!!!

i really really like it!
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

Excellent!

I think the only problem with the arms is that they are moving around randomly for no reason. Also, they never pause. I would suggest animating a short scene in which she has something to do besides talk. Something with action and emotion suited to animation. Then you should really be able to see how well she works.
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

Beautiful attention to detail. I like the soft shading, the face and even the tan lines on the shoulders.
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

The TAN LINES!

Yeah... I... uh... forgot to turn that layer off... but I figured... she looks like a kind of sunbathing beachy kind of girl.

The one thing that had me stumped at first was the use of "soft edges" for the highlights and shadows. The soft edge would bleed into the background causing a fuzzy halo. I tried using "shaded" effect.. but didn't have enough control.

So... I... uh... well... I masked every body part with a duplicate layer to hide the halo.

Sounds worse than it is. Pretty easy actually... it just makes the layer palette look... crazy... and I have to remember to copy any changes from those layers to the mask layer.

I also need to use a different style for shading on the hands. The soft edge is "too big" and gets completely lost. Need to lower the blur radius for the hands.

If I get really ambitious... Tooon Girl v2.0... I plan to create some kind of "body turn" switch layer... so this character could be used as is for nearly anything. I already have alternate hand layers for a side view...

... and all the body parts are on seperate layers and I use that switch slave script to control the head turn switches (there are like 5 switch layers for the head turn, head, head mask, hair, mouth, mouth mask) I would have to create new mouth positions for lip synch from a side view.

Like I said... I use her for experimenting. ;)

-vern
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

It's not perfect but something about this made me go "WOW." Really sophisticated mix of animation tech and effects.

The mouth alone is gorgeously constructed, and perfectly synched to the audio. If you had her speaking during the head turn, I'd be changing into a fresh set of Huggies already.

What kind of style is this? Anime? I still can't decide. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing, you should post more work.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Thanks!

I have no idea what "style" it is... just... cartonny? Manga-ish? Anime-ish? (not to be confused with Amish)... funny thing is... i don't like "anime". ;)

Here is a new one...

Jeans and a T-shirt for all the "peaceniks" (hey... the 60's are back right?)

-vern
elbramtsol

Post by elbramtsol »

Wow, you realy can talk about moho!!!
Good Work! :D
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Beautiful piece of work heyvern! I love the hair and face the most, great done!
CowsCanFly

Post by CowsCanFly »

How did you do the hair!!

and could you sand a .moho file....?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I plan to give this file to efrontier for use with future versions of Anime Studio...

... and no.. I do not "work" for them... they are not paying me for this.

All they did was to ask me if I would be willing to submit some work.
They already "paid" me by promising current users a free upgrade... what ever it might be.

If they decide to use it on future copies I am sure you will get a copy of it.
If they choose not to use it.. then I will make it available anyway.

See... if this file is... incentive for someone to purchase Moho... cool. I'm happy. "Putting my money where my mouth is" so to speak.

Those of you familar with my contributions to Hash and Animation:Master know that I am not a shill for anyone. I like to support companies that make fantastic products.

Thanks again for the comments and support.

-vern
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

As I said before... the hair is pretty simple...

-vern
MarkBorok

Post by MarkBorok »

I don't want to be a nitpicker, but I have to point out that the ears are too high up on the head. In general, the bottom of the ear is at about the same latitude as the bottom of the nose and the top is at the same latitude as the top of the eyes (I just checked this in the mirror to make sure). If it's not too difficult, you may want to fix that.

But really excellent work, apart from that.