cello guy animation

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Fahim, Distinct Sun, Víctor Paredes, erey, Belgarath, slowtiger

Post Reply
xothermik
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:22 am
Location: abuja, nigeria
Contact:

cello guy animation

Post by xothermik » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:11 am



short animation I did over a couple of days to help me get out of my creative block. its based on @thatcelloguy15 performing his version of "arrival of birds" by Jóhann Jóhannsson and the stylized painting of @harrydunkwu
User avatar
alanthebox
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: california
Contact:

Re: cello guy animation

Post by alanthebox » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:43 pm

really impressive! i especially appreciated the lighting and shadows. were those all achieved in Moho?
xothermik
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:22 am
Location: abuja, nigeria
Contact:

Re: cello guy animation

Post by xothermik » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Yes everything was done in moho.
xothermik
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:22 am
Location: abuja, nigeria
Contact:

Re: cello guy animation

Post by xothermik » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:09 pm

alanthebox wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:43 pm
really impressive! i especially appreciated the lighting and shadows. were those all achieved in Moho?
Yes everything was done in moho
User avatar
SimplSam
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:09 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: cello guy animation

Post by SimplSam » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:30 pm

Nice style. I would do a little bit more work on the timing/motion of the hand strokes.
Moho 13.02 » Win 10 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB

Sam
xothermik
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:22 am
Location: abuja, nigeria
Contact:

Re: cello guy animation

Post by xothermik » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:27 am

SimplSam wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:30 pm
Nice style. I would do a little bit more work on the timing/motion of the hand strokes.
i agree. moho got too laggy to work with particularly as i had a video in the background the scene for reference which also carried the sound. didnt allow me to scrub smoothly to nail the timing as i would have hoped. could have fixed that in the end by bringing in a lighter mp3 audio and deleting the video but got fed up working on this.
User avatar
Greenlaw
Posts: 4744
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: cello guy animation

Post by Greenlaw » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:10 pm

Yeah, I like the design...very nice!

Re: the lag, for reference footage (like an animatic clip) I avoid importing a movie file. That takes too much CPU power and RAM that is better used for animating/interacting with Moho.

Instead, I prefer to use a low-res JPEG image sequence because it's frame accurate (unlike many compressed movie formats) and it streams fast, even over a busy network. For the audio file, I use uncompressed, again for frame accuracy and so the computer doesn't need bother decompressing it.

Of course, there are a few movie formats that can be frame accurate and stream interactively without using too much CPU to decompress, but I find the above workflow to work fine all the time. (FYI, I started doing this many years ago working in 3D for VFX work, and I carried the habit into my 2D animation work.)

Hope this helps.
D.R. Greenlaw
Artist/Partner - Little Green Dog | Little Green Dog Channel on Vimeo | Greenlaw's Demo Reel 2019 Edtion
Lead Digital Animator, Dreamworks Animation

Image
xothermik
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:22 am
Location: abuja, nigeria
Contact:

Re: cello guy animation

Post by xothermik » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:05 am

Greenlaw wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:10 pm
Yeah, I like the design...very nice!

Re: the lag, for reference footage (like an animatic clip) I avoid importing a movie file. That takes too much CPU power and RAM that is better used for animating/interacting with Moho.

Instead, I prefer to use a low-res JPEG image sequence because it's frame accurate (unlike many compressed movie formats) and it streams fast, even over a busy network. For the audio file, I use uncompressed, again for frame accuracy and so the computer doesn't need bother decompressing it.

Of course, there are a few movie formats that can be frame accurate and stream interactively without using too much CPU to decompress, but I find the above workflow to work fine all the time. (FYI, I started doing this many years ago working in 3D for VFX work, and I carried the habit into my 2D animation work.)

Hope this helps.
Most certainly helpful. This project already had me rethinking using imported footage and this answers some of my questions. Thanks
Post Reply