Moon Light Render Test

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Spence

Moon Light Render Test

Post by Spence »

Hello. I've been playing around with Moho for a few months now and I've nearly completed my second short. It's called "the man who hated the sun".
I've animated every scene and now I'm just experimenting with light effects. I now need to enhance the animation especially with light for candles, the moon light and stars, water and flowers at night etc.
I wanted the moon to look kind of special and powerful and experimented with the light tools in adobe After Effects.
If anyone else is experimenting with light effects please pass on any tips etc.
Thanks
Spence
http://spensir.tripod.com/Moon.html
Why does rendering take so long?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

seems to be that the moon would be covered in some places (and it is not).
well, just comment.
i'm not partisan of combine too much "computational" effects with the animation. not always the effect looks good in the drawing. i think you should make the light using vectors, and maintaining the animation style.
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I have been working on some moon animations too, and I really like the look and feel of your work.

The only thing that I would have to offer to make yours look more realistic, is that as you move across to the left, the moonlight seems to move a bit randomly. If there were clouds in front of the moon, the moonlight might move light that, but maybe more slowly. The moonlight moving just seemed a bit out of place, and moved for no reason (in my opinion).

Oh, and as the viewer goes behind the house, there should be a shadow in the moonlight.

Very nice effects though! I definitely want to see what you come up with.

jorgy
Spence

Post by Spence »

Cheers Jorgy and Selgin. Good comments. I felt that the light moved a little randomly. I like your Idea of animating the moonlight useing vectors (I didn't think of that Selgin). However it took ages to render everything so maybe I'll try that again next time?
I will still try to add the light using after effects and make it less random and add shadows as you commented on Jorgy.
I've animated candle light and it looks pretty good so I will show you this to when I've altered the moonlight piece.
Cheers guys!
Spence.
Why does rendering take so long?
Kayambila

Rendering...

Post by Kayambila »

I Love that scene!! Good Staff!! :wink:

As for your rendering problem, I think its more to do with Hardware resources than anything else. Try increasing your Ram to Anything above 1028 Mb. If your computer is using a Celerone processor thats a major set back. Celerone Sucks!! Try Getting a Pentium IV or AMD Athlon 3000+ Processor. Getting a graphics card that has onboard memory independent from your system memory is an added advantage too. Also keep enough free space on your hard drive.

I Hope this helps...
Over and out!!
Kayambila

Lighting...

Post by Kayambila »

Just a tip on lighting. There's a useful lighting effetcts plugin for Adobe After Effects called Trapcode Shine. Its from a suite called Trapcode 2005 Suite. Its has some serious light effects you might wanna tryout. Easy to use presets too.

Get a demo here http://media.pluginz.com/?e=1659/11207.

Contact me if you want the full version. :wink:
Over and out!!
studiojer

Post by studiojer »

Okay, here's a crazy idea (I'm at my office computer, so I can't test this in moho to make sure it'll work right...but maybe I'll build a demo when I get home if its needed.)

Step 1: Build a gradient aura or light streak coming from your source...in this case, it would be the glow around the moon. Make this object part of a mask.

Step 2: Create a "cast shadow" shape that will basically represent the shadow being cast by any objects: clouds, trees, buildings, etc. At this point, group it with the aura that we created before, and then in the layer options set it to be subtractive from the mask. (That way it will cut out the shape you just created from the gradient, creating the streak where your glow no longer exists.)

The only problem at this point would be animating. For static things it would be okay, but if we're talking about attatching the effect to a character in motion, then it would suddenly become a bigger pain since you would have to match move a bit.

Hope that isn't too vague. I'll see if I can't get some Moho time in today and build a test.

Cheers!
jorgy

Post by jorgy »

I'm not quite sure I follow what you mean with your mask setup, but I'd be interested in seeing what you'd come up with.

jorgy
Atum

Post by Atum »

looks good