Moho vs. Toon Boom (an opinion vid)

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Mikdog

Moho vs. Toon Boom (an opinion vid)

Post by Mikdog »

Hi,

Made this thing:

neeters_guy

Re: Moho vs. Toon Boom (an opinion vid)

Post by neeters_guy »

Hey, mikdog, nice to see you posting again. :)

Pretty fair and detailed comparison, I think. I have a soft spot for earlier versions of Moho because of the simplicity you spoke of. All the fancy stuff in later versions is cool, of course, but the many features can overcomplicate rigs.

I used to own Toon Boom Studio years ago and liked it, but didn't continue with frame-by-frame.

Thanks for all your vids over the years. I recalled some good tuts on Anime Studio you made, but I don't see them on your channel.

Anyway, thanks for the review.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Mikdog, I'm a fan. I've loved the stuff you've done over the years and you have a real energetic vibe to your characters and animations that's instantly recognizable. It may be that what you are saying is right -- I don't know, I gave up halfway through because it was so tedious...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
chucky

Post by chucky »

Take the taper off the line Mike just for starters.
I think freehand needs a lot of work, but if you are complaining about the taper effect, then just don't use it ( I believe it should be OFF by default as it gives a bad first impression).
lwaxana

Post by lwaxana »

Hey Mikdog! Good to see you. This is a tough topic because these programs can be used in so many different ways. One person's Moho workflow could use completely different features from another person's Moho workflow. But I think this is a nice review for working with your expressive drawing style and the workflow needed to support that.
J. Baker

Post by J. Baker »

I can understand your reason on ToonBoom over Moho and that goes for anyone who prefers freehand over vector drawing. As for animation tools/options, Moho wins hands down for me. Plus I prefer its GUI over ToonBoom any day. I just find ToonBoom too cluttered of an interface. Great for raster graphics and frame by frame though. I think the drawing freehand style in Moho will be better one day though. It's just a delay or lack of points that's not keeping the strokes from being more exact.

As for using raster graphics in Moho, anything will do but Artrage is a good choice. I prefer Moho being mainly a vector animation suite with the option to import raster graphics. Otherwise, its interface will get too cluttered as well. I agree that Moho could reduce its size though. Just offer the extra content as a separate download after you've installed the main app (Moho). Possibly an option within the app.

Nice review of the two apps! ;)
Xork

Post by Xork »

Hi Mikedog,
I am new to Moho 12, and had an old version of Toon-Boom, version 2.5 for mac to be precise. It is my feeling that I will not upgrade my T-Boom software. The triagulated mesh and animation tools are just too cool in Moho 12 for me to consider it. I'm a big fan of Happyland, that was around version 2.5, I believe. Brilliantly entertaining! I feel that Moho, even tho fat, could be fatter, with even more improvement to the drawing tools it could satisfy. After all there is a lot to be said for spontaneous drawing.
Former Disney artist,
~Xork
Incidentally Autodesk Sketchbook Pro is now a free program, as always there are many things that can be done in one program that can't be done in the next. Sketchbook is my goto app for raster images.