Plot for animated series revealed

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Fahim, Distinct Sun, Víctor Paredes, erey, Belgarath, slowtiger

Plot for animated series revealed

Postby Ianafle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:52 am

Due to some Replies to my last post from some very critical people(No names) I have d cuded to reveal the plot of My new Animated Web Series.

Phil Jones is an ordinary kid, One day when he goes to help his father(Who happens to be a scientist) with an experiment he accidentally touches a machine that turns him into a freak, Phil must now learn to adjust to his new life as a freaky monster and learn more about the ut himself along the way.

I will reveal the name of the series soon.
Ianafle
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby jahnocli » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 am

Well guess what? If you put ideas out there, people will feel justified in criticising you. For example, with regard to your plot, many people would say this is a very unoriginal storyline with little chance that you are going to come up with something that hasn't been seen a hundred times before. So go on, surprise everybody.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
User avatar
jahnocli
 
Posts: 3300
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: UK

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby Ianafle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Why do you people always consist on critizing people, even when their not doing anything. My plot might not be original but at least I'm smart enough to ugh to actually come up with good ideas.
Ianafle
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby hayasidist » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:38 pm

There's a school of thought that says there are only seven basic plot lines - and every story is a variation on those - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots - so you really shouldn't be offended if someone points out that the plotline is not original. That can be said about just about every piece of writing.

IMO, if you want to excite people and grab their attention you might like to elaborate a bit on the storylines - you might have a storyline that continues through the series - such as Phil's relationship with his father and/or school friends and/or romantic association. You might want to give some ideas about the episodes - what sort of problem does Phil meet in each episode - how does he overcome or succumb ...

There are plenty of free resources to help you start screenwriting - try here for a start. http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opport ... eenwriting

When you've had a look at that, you'll know what a "treatment" is - and to sell your idea you need to produce a good one for the series. Without that you'll struggle to get positive attention from people who can really help you take the idea forward.
User avatar
hayasidist
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 pm
Location: Kent, England

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby Lukas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:53 pm

You didn't have to create another new topic to announce this. Next time, consider posting something when you've got something to show us. Or post when you're looking for feedback. Otherwise nobody is going to care.

Good luck :)
User avatar
Lukas
 
Posts: 753
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:00 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby Ianafle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:10 pm

I don't want any trouble I'm just trying to tell people that I'm making a cartoon.
Ianafle
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby Ianafle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:22 pm

Lukas wrote:You didn't have to create another new topic to announce this. Next time, consider posting something when you've got something to show us. Or post when you're looking for feedback. Otherwise nobody is going to care.

Good luck :)


Wow that's a little harsh, and also I love your frame work videos.
Ianafle
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby synthsin75 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:36 pm

As a storyteller, your number one job is to make people care or get them engaged...at least enough to actually watch your work. Teasing people here with lame summaries doesn't do that. If there's a comedic or dramatic tone, you have to be the one to get that across in a way that makes people want to see it. If you can't do that, and you're unwilling to listen to constructive criticism, your project may be doomed to failure.

Anything you put online is likely to face criticism, and it's important to learn not to take everything personally. Remember that any critic may be your intended audience, and you want that audience to enjoy your work. So listen to them, adjust your strategy, and appreciate the feedback before putting in all the work and finding out no one likes it.
- Wes
ImageImageImage
User avatar
synthsin75
 
Posts: 6587
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby Ianafle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 pm

synthsin75 wrote:As a storyteller, your number one job is to make people care or get them engaged...at least enough to actually watch your work. Teasing people here with lame summaries doesn't do that. If there's a comedic or dramatic tone, you have to be the one to get that across in a way that makes people want to see it. If you can't do that, and you're unwilling to listen to constructive criticism, your project may be doomed to failure.

Anything you put online is likely to face criticism, and it's important to learn not to take everything personally. Remember that any critic may be your intended audience, and you want that audience to enjoy your work. So listen to them, adjust your strategy, and appreciate the feedback before putting in all the work and finding out no one likes it.



I'm not saying that I don't take your advice, and also my idea isn't lame.
Ianafle
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby synthsin75 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Ianafle wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:As a storyteller, your number one job is to make people care or get them engaged...at least enough to actually watch your work. Teasing people here with lame summaries doesn't do that. If there's a comedic or dramatic tone, you have to be the one to get that across in a way that makes people want to see it. If you can't do that, and you're unwilling to listen to constructive criticism, your project may be doomed to failure.

Anything you put online is likely to face criticism, and it's important to learn not to take everything personally. Remember that any critic may be your intended audience, and you want that audience to enjoy your work. So listen to them, adjust your strategy, and appreciate the feedback before putting in all the work and finding out no one likes it.



I'm not saying that I don't take your advice, and also my idea isn't lame.


I didn't say the idea was lame, I said the summary was lame. That summary didn't even give us any idea what the tone of the piece is intended to be (comedy, drama, coming of age, day in the life, etc.). IOW, it doesn't give enough info to determine whether the idea is lame or you have a more original spin on it. If you take any advice, let it be this:
You cannot control how others respond to you or your work. You can only control how you react to the response. Blaming the audience never helps anything.
- Wes
ImageImageImage
User avatar
synthsin75
 
Posts: 6587
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:20 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby Ianafle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:05 pm

synthsin75 wrote:
Ianafle wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:As a storyteller, your number one job is to make people care or get them engaged...at least enough to actually watch your work. Teasing people here with lame summaries doesn't do that. If there's a comedic or dramatic tone, you have to be the one to get that across in a way that makes people want to see it. If you can't do that, and you're unwilling to listen to constructive criticism, your project may be doomed to failure.

Anything you put online is likely to face criticism, and it's important to learn not to take everything personally. Remember that any critic may be your intended audience, and you want that audience to enjoy your work. So listen to them, adjust your strategy, and appreciate the feedback before putting in all the work and finding out no one likes it.



I'm not saying that I don't take your advice, and also my idea isn't lame.


I didn't say the idea was lame, I said the summary was lame. That summary didn't even give us any idea what the tone of the piece is intended to be (comedy, drama, coming of age, day in the life, etc.). IOW, it doesn't give enough info to determine whether the idea is lame or you have a more original spin on it. If you take any advice, let it be this:
You cannot control how others respond to you or your work. You can only control how you react to the response. Blaming the audience never helps anything.


I'm not gonna argue, thank you for the advice, I will make another plot later. If anyone has advice I will gladly take it.
Ianafle
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby hayasidist » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 am

Ianafle wrote:If anyone has advice I will gladly take it.


I have no issue with your basic idea. Except, as you presented it, it's just that - a basic undeveloped idea.

Look at the post above viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32154#p183287 and at least look at the links.

This is a "get you started" template for a treatment based on a "standard" 3 act model.
Answer these questions for the overall series. So far you've only really answered parts of "Hero" and "Trouble" in the checklist below. You just need a sentence or two for each - the whole thing (all 10 points) will fit on less than one page.

Genre – what sort of film (e.g. comedic / dramatic / …)? Decide which of the seven basic plots you want.
Hero – describe the main protagonist
Objective – what does the protagonist want to achieve?
Trouble – what are the obstacles that prevent the protagonist from achieving their objective?
Importance –What is the moral of the story? (e.g. money doesn’t buy happiness)

When you have that figured out move on to develop the story further.

Plan – the protagonist’s plan to achieve their objective.
Luck – good things happen – the plan is coming together.
Alas – something happens to derail the plan - the troubles build up making the objective appear unachievable.
Tension – the protagonist doubts the objective and the plan.
Outcome - the confrontation or action or "eureka moment" that resolves the story question.


When you have that figured out for the series, do it again once for each episode if they're intended to be self-contained (i.e. it is a series not a serial). You might introduce new protagonists - you'll need something different for the original protagonist to do in each episode ...


If you want to bounce your ideas around you can do this in this forum - or PM me.

good luck.
User avatar
hayasidist
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 pm
Location: Kent, England

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby Ianafle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Thank you for the advice, but when I made that summary about the plot my goal was to just let the audience know that I'm making a cartoon and that this just the idea of the series. I'm not ready to start revealing all of these other things.
Ianafle
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby Ianafle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:52 pm

I have been very busy lately developing the characters and their personalities and Back stories and their life and all that stuff basically and I have also been busy designing the characters and just basically coming up with the whole idea of the series and I can't wait to start sharing some stuff with you guys I can't share a lot yet cuz I'm still in the early stages of developing everything the one I have things then I will definitely be sharing stuff
Ianafle
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:10 am

Re: Plot for animated series revealed

Postby Greenlaw » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:35 pm

That's cool. Will look forward to it.

Brief words of advice based on my experience:

These days, I try to keep my own projects under-wraps as much as possible until I'm ready to release it. The reason for this has less to do with protecting my ideas, and more because I find that talking too much about a project at an early stage seems to drain my passion and energy for it. This results in me taking longer than planned to finish the project, if I ever do.

That's basically what happened with my 'Brudders 2' music video project. I started this thing ages ago, and talked it up a lot back then. The film wound up shelved many times for various reasons, usually for work schedule conflicts but almost as much because I kinda grew tired of it. I know I'll finish the film eventually but at this point, I wish I did less talking and more finishing when I was actively working on the film and freshly excited about it.

Another big problem was that over time the project kept growing and growing, and its scope eventually overwhelmed me. When I think about how incredibly simple and do-able the concept was at the very beginning, I wish I had just finished it before it became the monster it is now. I blame the project's uncontrolled growth on me talking too much about it too.

On the other hand, I did get a lot of great feedback when I started this public discussion thread about the film:
The 'Brudders 2' Production Log (Well, sort of...). Without the excellent technical advice I got from several participating artists, I would not have gotten as far as I did with the project.

But I think a lot of people took interest in the thread because when I started it, I had already done quite a bit of development work and had some WIPs to show. If you do continue this thread and you really want public feedback, be sure to get some visual content up. Otherwise, the reaction this thread has been getting so far is to be expected.

Good luck and don't give up! :)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Greenlaw
 
Posts: 3699
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Next

Return to Share Your Work

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest