Slime Animation Test 12FPS VS 24FPS

Want to share your Moho work? Post it here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

EHEBrandon

Slime Animation Test 12FPS VS 24FPS

Post by EHEBrandon »

This is a quick test to see which is better with animation 24FPS which gives off a more smooth look or 12FPS with a more choppy look that has a certain charm? So please comment down below or in the post this was shared on to tell me which you think is better. Your answer can impact a certain project I'm working on.

This was all animated in Moho Pro 12 which is the best 2D animation software in my opinion.

jahnocli

Re: Slime Animation Test 12FPS VS 24FPS

Post by jahnocli »

For this I prefer 24fps. This kind of animation depends on fluidity to work best.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

for me, 12 looks more hand drawn and less 'interpolated' than the 24 option :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Like I said on facebook , it needs context. This isn't enough to go on. What are the backgrounds, colours, the type of other action... Most importantly the nature and content of the story. If it's just this, we are seeing a handful of frames repeated, it is tempting to go 24 just for that reason, I normally prefer 12 but there is actually no way to judge properly from this sample.
EHEBrandon

Post by EHEBrandon »

chucky wrote:Like I said on facebook , it needs context. This isn't enough to go on. What are the backgrounds, colours, the type of other action... Most importantly the nature and content of the story. If it's just this, we are seeing a handful of frames repeated, it is tempting to go 24 just for that reason, I normally prefer 12 but there is actually no way to judge properly from this sample.
No I know maybe I should make my post more clear I wanted this to be more of a pull to see what people generally like better. To be honest I forgot about the website so I'm just trying to get active on here again by catching up a bit.
chucky

Post by chucky »

No , that was clear. I stand by my answer. :P
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I don't think the example given shows enough contrast between the two. A walk cycle, or something with pauses or overlapping animation, would show more contrast than this very flowing animation. This looks like it only has two keyframes, which isn't a good test of different FPS. The "charm" of lower frame rates is that it harkens back to hand drawn animation, which necessarily had more key poses and manual in-betweens.